MBD? Or something normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Hey everyone,
Haven't posted in a while, but lately I've been a little worried about something with my Stewart. To me it looks like his lower jaw is protruding in the "MBD" looking way. Now, it's not severe, and I'm not even sure if this is something normal that he'll grow out of or if it's just his normal head shape, but have a look and tell me what you think.

Just some extra info:
He eats dubia, phoenix worms, small superworms and the occasional wax worm, plus his salads (all appropriate greens). Dusted his first meal every week day with calcium +D3, and a multivitamin on the weekends. He has a reptisun 10.0 tube that he can get within 8 inches of but he's normally about 10 inches away.

Now, I don't know if this is relevant, but he has coccidia again for the second time and isn't eating as much. He's also 5 months old and only 160 grams, which is a third of what my other dragon was at that age.

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
I've been keeping an eye on this thread because I have the exact same question as you do, and my beardie's jaw looks like that, too. Unfortunately, I do have some experience with MBD in geckos, and have seen the entire lower jaw out a bit, not just the end. You can read about my MBD gecko on my web site if you're interested. Her name is Olivia. I don't know if MBD works the same way in beardies since both are reptiles, or if the way the jaw dislocates would be different. I'm guessing it'll also vary from one individual to the next. Olivia didn't have it in her jaw as bad as some of the others I've seen, it's mostly a spinal issue with her. Stewart's jaw looks just like Baldric's so I'm hoping we're just being overly worried beardie parents and both are just fine.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Katie....Stewart is very handsome, and I think he has just the slightest touch of a jaw misalignment...it's so slight that it's not really anything to be concerned about as long as he is getting everything he needs.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you! That makes me feel better. I was very confused because I know he's getting his proper UVB and supplements, so I had no idea what this could be. I'll be taking him to the vet next week just to put my mind a little more at ease though. You can never be TOO safe! :roll:

How would he develop a misaligned jaw anyway? Is it just how he grew?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't think you need a vet visit Katie....beardies grow so fast that at times this can pop up, but it's really no problem when it's so slight as yours is, it's almost unnoticeable. You can get some liquid calcium if you want, and when it's sunny out get him outside for 45 minutes a couple times a week. Try not to obsess about it, he'll be fine.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
You're right. I'm insanely paranoid when it comes to my animals, and I have to admit, even something this slight triggered a minor freak out. LOL I'll get some liquid calcium and give him that instead of the powder.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom