MBD or a Fracture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OasistheDragon

Recently I've noticed something different about my nearly 4 month old beardie's hands and one of her wrists. It's fingers are rolled upwards, one side looks pointed up higher than the other. I've read beardies do that after and during basking but my beardie's fingers are curled up all the time and seem to give it a slight difficulty to walk. It's left wrist seems swollen or the wrist bone seems risen. I'm not sure whether this is mbd or just it somehow fractured both hands, one worse than the other or something else.
It is in a 25 gal. enclosure with the warm side being nearly 100 degrees during the day and the UVB is a 13.0 watt bulb I believe, soon I'm getting the reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb. My beardie likes to lay in it's hammock a majority of the day and I feed it crickets dusted with calcium everyday. The exotic pet vet nearby is out for a few days.
112180-3431876516.jpg
112180-5799669740.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure about the fractures we need someone else to look at so I am going to flag your post--- as far as the 13 watt bulb its good your getting rid of it -- the arent any good - the 10.0 UVB your getting is a T 5 or a T 8 -- a 24" Zoo Med fixture will come w/ a 5.0 bulb which would be good for the tank now and when you upgrade to T 5 bulb or 10.0 --

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hello, how long have you had the dragon and can you post pics of the entire tank ? Good to hear that you're getting a long tube uvb bulb, the small ones like you had almost never give enough uvb and that means the dragon can't utilize the calcium needed for proper bone , even with regular food dusting. So that deformity can be either or both, MBD and possible broken wrist. How is your dragon getting around, does she appear to be in pain or reluctant to move much or is it [ hopefully ] not impeding her too much ?

OasistheDragon

Original Poster
AHBD":27e7s2x9 said:
Hello, how long have you had the dragon and can you post pics of the entire tank ? Good to hear that you're getting a long tube uvb bulb, the small ones like you had almost never give enough uvb and that means the dragon can't utilize the calcium needed for proper bone , even with regular food dusting. So that deformity can be either or both, MBD and possible broken wrist. How is your dragon getting around, does she appear to be in pain or reluctant to move much or is it [ hopefully ] not impeding her too much ?
Sorry I'm new to this site, I do not know if this is responding.
I have had this dragon since July 16, meaning I've had her for at least 3 months by now (I'm assuming its a female). I am at work currently and I do not have any photos of the tank saved but I will post some later. She is a really lazy dragon and prior to noticing the change in her hands she didn't really walk around much. She continues to not move much from her basking spot.
It is hard to tell if she's in pain, she eats, and basks normally still.
When she walks now she either drags herself across ground, walks but it looks like she keeps herself close to the ground, or limps. It varies.
At times it seems like she puts weight on the hand the issue is occurring. Most of the time the weight is on her palms (or better put normal) but other times she seems to just be putting weight at the base of her wrist, leaving her fingers up or the majority of her palm up.
Thank you for the response!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, she is definitely affected by MBD and possible broken wrist area. New lights should help to halt the progression of it but this condition usually can't be reversed. I'll look for the pics when you post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom