Mature beardie - star gazing and black beard

Beardie name(s)
Thrax (Parthenax)
Help my rescued beardie who is 8 plus years old has suddenly started star gazing with a full black beard. Seems to be spasmed to the right.
I managed to get him to poop and stomach feels empty his eyes still look fine and bright but if he tries to move he is close to rolling.

The only recent change in diet is I added the dragon delite pellets that you soak in water which he seems to love but now and concerned they have caused trouble

Any advice would be must appreciate

coffeedragoness

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thrax (Parthenax)
Sorry specs of viv below. All has been the same since we got him as a rescue he is probably around 10 so I know he is on the far end age wise
UVB fluorescent
Ceramic heat lamp
Basking heat rock
1,4m viv
Half sand have fake plants (he has always enjoyed the sand and we have never had impaction issues)
Cave for Brumation
Large container for his bathing as he is a true lazy lounge lizard

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Start gazing is usually associated with adv. The only way i know to find out for sure is having blood work done on him.
Lets start with your setup though, the uvb needs to be long tube not tbe compact ones. Basking needs to be a clear white basking buld. Those heat rock can be down right dangerous from everything I've read.his basking needs to be 95 to 100 taken with a digital probe. The heat emitter is good for keeping night time temp up if you house is on the cool side.
Can you post pics of your setup? There are some folks here that are really good with lighting. If your setup is all good i would recommend getting blood work done on him.

coffeedragoness

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thrax (Parthenax)
Start gazing is usually associated with adv. The only way i know to find out for sure is having blood work done on him.
Lets start with your setup though, the uvb needs to be long tube not tbe compact ones. Basking needs to be a clear white basking buld. Those heat rock can be down right dangerous from everything I've read.his basking needs to be 95 to 100 taken with a digital probe. The heat emitter is good for keeping night time temp up if you house is on the cool side.
Can you post pics of your setup? There are some folks here that are really good with lighting. If your setup is all good i would recommend getting blood work done on him.
UVB is the long one will attach pic taken a few weeks ago but it’s hard to see bulbs from front. Have left him to settle for the evening as he seemed to have relaxed a bit after some extra hydration and his strengths still good. He has always had the heat rock and I do regular touch checks for temps he loves his rock. I am hoping it is a passing thing as he has been nothing but healthy since we rescued him 8 years ago but considering his age you never know

coffeedragoness

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thrax (Parthenax)
UVB is the long one will attach pic taken a few weeks ago but it’s hard to see bulbs from front. Have left him to settle for the evening as he seemed to have relaxed a bit after some extra hydration and his strengths still good. He has always had the heat rock and I do regular touch checks for temps he loves his rock. I am hoping it is a passing thing as he has been nothing but healthy since we rescued him 8 years ago but considering his age you never know
Not sure where he could have picked up adv other than possibly food? 🤷🏼‍♀️

coffeedragoness

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thrax (Parthenax)
087E4C76-EB2B-4C5C-A2FE-73ACA9A619F1.jpeg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
That is a very pretty setup, it looks really nice. Your dragon is a handsome dude. I'm not sure how he could pick it up either, I know its supposedly highly contagious but if he hasn't or you haven't been near another dragon that had it i don't know how else it can be contracted. I know mbd can cause neurological issues but i don't know if it can cause star gazing. If it continues i would look for a vet that is experienced with beardies.

coffeedragoness

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thrax (Parthenax)
UPDATE: He is looking better this morning managed to get more water into him and his colour is better so we will monitor him and see.

Attachments

• 419560BD-05C2-4433-A425-0BA48B5A8FAE.jpeg
    419560BD-05C2-4433-A425-0BA48B5A8FAE.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 65

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I'm glad to hear he seems better. Keep us posted please, myself i worry about every single dragon like they are my own. I think most people here do.

coffeedragoness

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thrax (Parthenax)
My boy is not looking well again this evening I was supposed to sleep out this evening but my house sitter has just sent this so probably going to head home now to see if a warm bath and water will help. Not sure what to do for my boy :-(

Attachments

• C8A2071E-249B-4C9D-9652-85E09E8E2CE1.jpeg
    C8A2071E-249B-4C9D-9652-85E09E8E2CE1.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 91

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Oh that poor little guy. That looks like a seizure. Can you get him in to a vet?
I'm going to flag Tracie, she is a vet tech, maybe she can give some advice.
I think she is only on later in the evenings.
@Drache613

coffeedragoness

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thrax (Parthenax)
At the vet now I am also thinking stroke or seizure I was working out he is at least 11 years old. Will
Update after vet

coffeedragoness

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thrax (Parthenax)
UPDATE: Decided to let my boy go peacefully.
Vet checked for ear infection etc so basically they had said prognosis was not good because all they could do is test calcium levels and treat for parasites (which can be toxic) neither of which we have had any issues with in 11 years since rescuing him plus being a weekend he would be alone at the vet for 16-18 plus hours between later today and tomorrow so I made the call to rather let him go than risk his suffering and slow death. Thank you all for your support considering his age and no previous symptoms and how quickly he got sick I feel this was the best choice for him.

Attachments

• FA35B407-AAD7-40AD-9A73-505BD5711AA4.jpeg
    FA35B407-AAD7-40AD-9A73-505BD5711AA4.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 81

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom