Mass in beardies abdomen

gingerbird

Original Poster
Hi all, looking for some advice/reassurance for my 9 year old beardie. I picked her up out of her viv and noticed she has a rock hard lump on the left side of her abdomen. It doesn't appear to be bothering her but it has me concerned. I do not believe she is gravid this year as she has laid eggs before and has not shown the typical tell tale signs of wanting to lay eggs. Regular normal poops and eats like a pig, she's very alert and active with her colors looking fantastic. She has her regular wellness appointment scheduled for 4/22 but I am considering calling up to try to get her in sooner.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If there's a hard mass i would definitely get xrays and/or ultrasound done. Hopefully you've caught whatever is going on in yhe beginning stages. Please keep us posted and know if there is something going on we will all be pulli g for her.

gingerbird

Original Poster
If there's a hard mass i would definitely get xrays and/or ultrasound done. Hopefully you've caught whatever is going on in yhe beginning stages. Please keep us posted and know if there is something going on we will all be pulli g for her.
I am definitely going to have either xray and ultrasounds done (or both), I am just hoping anyone had a positive outcome for a mass in the abdomen because everything I've read online so far does not appear to have a good prognosis. I am not ready to lose my Puff yet, especially since we finally settled down in our own home a few months ago instead of living like nomads her whole life

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
We see beardies here with a mass from time to time. I don't think it's always fatal.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hi there, I'd thought I'd pitch in since I've had two beardies who underwent surgery and had suspicious masses removed.

My first beardie who had it was Taro, she had what was suspected to possibly be GNT, but after removal of the mass and histopath it was found to be a calcified abcess. It was successfully removed but she unfortunately passed a month later. She was deconditioned due to advanced fatty liver. There was a fair chance for her to recover from the abcess otherwise, if she wasn't also dealing with liver failure.

My second beardie Charlie just went through surgery last week and is recovering. The vets were a little concerned at first when they saw the necrotic mass during her spay, but it just turned out to be follicles/dead dead reproductive tissue her body isolated off inside her after it went bad. They said it could have been there a long time even.

Reptiles are very unique when it comes to issues like these. I'd day it's worth looking further into :) it's not always what it may seem, especially when we try to find out more online.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Agreed with the above. It could be so many different possibilities from benign to something that needs to be acted upon immediately. I don't think you need to try to get in sooner, if she's acting healthy, a few days won't be an issue. The mass didn't show up overnight, so you've got some breathing room to get it checked out.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom