Malnourished beardie looking ill

Hi i recently adopted a 19 month old bearded dragon and i noticed she is a bit malnourished and i noticed a her tail looks a bit swollen today. I have been feeding her 2 dubia roaches and quite a few mealworms dusted in Calcium and D3.... She does eat about a tablespoon of pak choy chopped up but she won't eat any more. I've had her for about 2 weeks now. Is there any concerns

Attachments

• IMG_20220627_163933.jpg
    IMG_20220627_163933.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20220627_162627.jpg
    IMG_20220627_162627.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20220627_162616.jpg
    IMG_20220627_162616.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 85

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
She looks ok in the pictures.
Please post a picture of sure setup. More specifically your lighting Nd basking. It's absolutely critical that it is correct. You have to use the correct bulbs at the correct distances. Also include a pic of your screen top.
Karrieree is a wiz at setting up the correct setup,she will need that info to make sure its all good.
Beardies are not hard but they require extremely specific setup.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Also i would recommend dubias over mealworms superworms are a decent option as well. The shell on mealworms can be hard on them to digest

Timiii

Original Poster
T
Also i would recommend dubias over mealworms superworms are a decent option as well. The shell on mealworms can be hard on them to digest
Thank you for your help... I can't send a picture because we have load shedding in South Africa so she's currently using my body heat to keep warm... She came with the tank and the light set up but i know her lighting is wrong because they just used a UVB bulb and no UVA but i ordered her the correct bulb today. Its the full spectrum Mercury bulb. Hopefully it gets here soon. The thing with the Dubia roach is that she will only eat one or two because she finds it difficult to eat and she will eat mealworms the rest of her feed and won't want more dubia roaches

Timiii

Original Poster
I will try superworms and crickets next. I really just need to get her weight up. She hadn't had calcium supplements until she came into my care

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Yes please use those. Also the mercury bulb by its selt isn't enough uvb. You need a long tube that stretches 2/3 the length of your tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I don't know if i have enough money for another uvb bulb🙈
This is critical - you can take her outside for uvb- 15 min direct sunlight sitting on you - the basking bulb is the UVA it needs to be a solid bright white clear bulb-- examples would be Exo Terra intense or flukers or zoo med repti basking or a Arcadia halogen bulb-- you need a digital probe thermometer to get accurate surface basking temps--- your uvb you want a 24" zoo med fixture or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb-- look on Amazon for those but she needs this - is it summer there or winter?

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom