Male vs female

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
We just had a female dropped in our lap. She's about 4 months, a tad smaller than toothless but super sweet.

We do have them in separate tanks but we're hoping to introduce them. Hoping. As soon as toothless saw her, he lost his ever loving mind. He's also about 4 months and weighs about 150 grams and is about 13 inches. And he has been head bobbing and stomping and anytime we took him out, he'll tear over to her tank to scratch at it and head bob but her only response as been a few gentle bobs and just arm wave after arm wave.

What is the risk of Toothless actually trying to hurt her.? He's not hissing, puffing up or anything, just a lot of bobbing and general freaking out. We, at the very least, want to introduce them once she acclimates to her new home. I just don't want her to get hurt because Toothless is being a jerk. Are there any signs to show that he may try to fight her.? She's been super calm the whole time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We just had a female dropped in our lap. She's about 4 months, a tad smaller than toothless but super sweet.

We do have them in separate tanks but we're hoping to introduce them. Hoping. As soon as toothless saw her, he lost his ever loving mind. He's also about 4 months and weighs about 150 grams and is about 13 inches. And he has been head bobbing and stomping and anytime we took him out, he'll tear over to her tank to scratch at it and head bob but her only response as been a few gentle bobs and just arm wave after arm wave.

What is the risk of Toothless actually trying to hurt her.? He's not hissing, puffing up or anything, just a lot of bobbing and general freaking out. We, at the very least, want to introduce them once she acclimates to her new home. I just don't want her to get hurt because Toothless is being a jerk. Are there any signs to show that he may try to fight her.? She's been super calm the whole time.
Please keep them separated ----- dragons are territorial and you DO NOT want them together- she could be severely hurt in an instance or dead---- they should NOT be able to see each other-- they will stress each other out---- are you sure they are both male and female????????? 4 months is pretty early to tell the sex of them-- unless you are going to breed them KEEP them APART--- I cannot stress this enough --

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Please keep them separated ----- dragons are territorial and you DO NOT want them together- she could be severely hurt in an instance or dead---- they should NOT be able to see each other-- they will stress each other out---- are you sure they are both male and female????????? 4 months is pretty early to tell the sex of them-- unless you are going to breed them KEEP them APART--- I cannot stress this enough --
Yeah, the female came from a breeder and has been officially sexed and Toothless, you can absolutely tell he's a boy.

We were thinking about breeding them, once they're older. She's super calm, nothing but waving, not even a dark beard or anything. But Toothless, on the other hand, is running and jumping as fast as he can at the doors, head bobbing and is dark but isn't hissing or puffed up or anything. Just a lot pf bobbing.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah, the female came from a breeder and has been officially sexed and Toothless, you can absolutely tell he's a boy.

We were thinking about breeding them, once they're older. She's super calm, nothing but waving, not even a dark beard or anything. But Toothless, on the other hand, is running and jumping as fast as he can at the doors, head bobbing and is dark but isn't hissing or puffed up or anything. Just a lot pf bobbing.
the bobbing is a mating ritual --- as well as the arm waving- meaning submission - the bobbing is dominance --- I wouldnt look at breeding them till they are way older --- AHBD would know more about that issue-- I would move them out of sight from one another --- mainly for Toothless part

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
the bobbing is a mating ritual --- as well as the arm waving- meaning submission - the bobbing is dominance --- I wouldnt look at breeding them till they are way older --- AHBD would know more about that issue-- I would move them out of sight from one another --- mainly for Toothless part
They're only four months... they can't breed yet, can they.? Like they're too young right now to conceive or anything.?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They're only four months... they can't breed yet, can they.? Like they're too young right now to conceive or anything.?
Yes they are too young -- but they are at the age of going into juvenile around 5-6 months - Toothless may be more advanced for his age I dont know --- and you dont want to take the chance of something else going on either -- its best to keep them apart please and out of sight from one another ---

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Yes they are too young -- but they are at the age of going into juvenile around 5-6 months - Toothless may be more advanced for his age I dont know --- and you dont want to take the chance of something else going on either -- its best to keep them apart please and out of sight from one another ---
Yeah, they're in separate tanks. We tried to introduce them just so there wasn't a constant "oh snap, there's an intruder" sort of vibe but he bolted for her and we thought he was gonna nip her but he just licked her. So we're keeping them apart. They're on opposite sides of the room and can't see each other that well.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
He seems at least advanced in the weight area. He's about 13 inches and weighs 148g so if nothing else, he's a chunky boy.😂

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Karrieree is absolutely correct, at 4 months he is almost certain to be trying to run her off, they are insanely territorial and at 4 months he isn't trying to breed with her, he sees her as an intruder. Please don't give him a chance to get near her, they can completely remove a leg or large section of tail with one bite. They have great eye sight also, they both will be happier if they don't have line of sight. I don't even let my girls see each other except short periods of time when we have them both out. And i still have to watch them like a hawk, oddly the smaller one is the more aggressive of the two, but she is older.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Karrieree is absolutely correct, at 4 months he is almost certain to be trying to run her off, they are insanely territorial and at 4 months he isn't trying to breed with her, he sees her as an intruder. Please don't give him a chance to get near her, they can completely remove a leg or large section of tail with one bite. They have great eye sight also, they both will be happier if they don't have line of sight. I don't even let my girls see each other except short periods of time when we have them both out. And i still have to watch them like a hawk, oddly the smaller one is the more aggressive of the two, but she is older.
We were hoping to breed them when they're older. He isn't acting aggressive, really, just a ton of head bobbing, but he did calm down as the day went on. Not as much by the end of the day.

I'd like to at least be able to properly introduce them so they can at least be in the same room without loosing his mind, but maybe not. In his defense, the last time we let Nova out, she kept running over to where his tank is to wave at him and give little headbobs.😅

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If your going to breed in the future it is better if they are used to each other, but they still shouldn't have line of sight, it will keep them both stressed. Interactions between them should be minimized. Once they are used to each other, you should be able to have them out for a bit at the same time, but it needs to be supervised really closely. Accidents happen so fast. All it takes is just seconds for one to injure the other really severely.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Whether they can reproduce at this age is not the only problem. Your male has been triggered , sees another dragon that it wants to fight or mate and this causes a lot of stress. I don't know how big he is but a 4-5 month old male can reproduce depending on their size although it is very, very unlikely to happen with a 4 month old female. The size + growth rate that is more of a factor. Some dragons are in the 18" [ or larger ] range at 4-5 months so it could happen.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
If your going to breed in the future it is better if they are used to each other, but they still shouldn't have line of sight, it will keep them both stressed. Interactions between them should be minimized. Once they are used to each other, you should be able to have them out for a bit at the same time, but it needs to be supervised really closely. Accidents happen so fast. All it takes is just seconds for one to injure the other really severely.
Yeah, we've kept them separate thus far. Thankfully, he settled down as the day went on. He really lost his mind when he first saw her. I'm assuming he was trying to lick her when he ran for her.? I saw his tongue come out toward her, but it didn't look like he made an actual attempt to bite her so hopefully he'll get used to her. She couldn't care less and is so chill.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You don't want them together at all, ever. Males do bite females and whether he did or not him charging at her is frightening to her. She might not show fear but can be stressed out as well.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Whether they can reproduce at this age is not the only problem. Your male has been triggered , sees another dragon that it wants to fight or mate and this causes a lot of stress. I don't know how big he is but a 4-5 month old male can reproduce depending on their size although it is very, very unlikely to happen with a 4 month old female. The size + growth rate that is more of a factor. Some dragons are in the 18" [ or larger ] range at 4-5 months so it could happen.
He will be 4 months in November. I'm not sure the date, based on his size, he was two months when we got him on September first. He is currently 150 grams and about 13 inches long. He's recently jumped up in weight like crazy. She is about 105 grams and maybe closer to 10 inches, so she is a bit smaller than him.

If he can reproduce at this age, could she, since she's smaller.? I just don't know the health issues of the attempts.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom