Making fake rocks from foam and grout.

kav

Hello,

I recently made Frank (our 2 year old male Beardie) a new enclosure from 3/4" Melamine shelving. It's 4'x2'x2' ish. To decorate it I decided to make a large basking rock for one corner. It would have a space running around the back so Frank could hide in it. Above would be his hammock.

I watched a couple of Youtube videos of folks carving foam then covering it with tile grout and painting it with acrylic non toxic paint. It looked simple enough so I thought I'd give it a go! (It was pretty simple but a little messy!).

The foam, I use layers of 'FOAMULAR 1 in. x 2 ft. x 2 ft. R-5 Small Projects Rigid Pink Foam Board Insulation Sheathing' $6.58 from Home Depot that I cut to size and hot glue together. I carve the shape with the serrated knife and exaggerate the features as the tile grout will fill it all in. I end up with this:

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6277.JPG

Now I apply the tile grout (which is basically colored concrete). I use regular sanded grout from Home Depot in the 'linen' color. I apply it with a paint scrapper and paint brush. It usually takes around 3 coats to build up the thickness.

IMG_6278.JPG

Here it is after 3 coats. You can see how much of the carving gets filled in. I did want it somewhat smooth for Frank to hang out on.

IMG_6466.JPG

IMG_6467.JPG

Now comes the fun part! Painting! I use acrylic non toxic paint in 8oz size from my local Michaels hobby store. I use white, black, yellow, brown, green and red. I paint the whole rock a light brown / yellow. I use a paper towel dipped in the paint and dabble color onto the surface. After I get the base color and texture worked out it's time for the secret weapon! I fill a spray bottle with water and then add a good squirt of black paint. I spray the surface with the watered down black paint and dap the excess off with a paper towel. The black fills in the low points and gives a realistic look.

IMG_6471.JPG

Time for the highlights. I use the paper towel to dab light yellow and light green (almost white) onto the high points. I end up with this:

IMG_6472.JPG

IMG_6475.JPG

You can see from the back side the area for Frank to hide which goes all the way around in an arc.

IMG_6477.JPG

Here is the finished basking rock placed in the corner of his enclosure under the basking lamp. I'm using a digital probe for the temp. I place stick on hooks around the rock to hold the hammock.

IMG_6481.JPG

Here's Frank checking out his new basking spot!

IMG_6487.JPG

He loves it! He does like to hide in the tunnel too!

IMG_6494.JPG

I hope this helps anyone who has been thinking about making their own enclosure decorations. It's not that hard and is really fun to do! Just takes a bit of time and mess but I'm sure your Beardie will love you for it!

Cheers!

-Paul & Frank.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom