Making a topsoil/play sand mix for loose substrate in bearded dragon enclosure?

umbrezon

Beardie name(s)
Kovu
Hi all! I'm looking for some help as I'm confused with how to do loose substrate for my beardie. I'm getting my 4x2x2 this weekend and wanted to use loose substrate as my beardie is on non adhesive shelf liner and I want to give him more enrichment.

However, I'm a little confused atm with if there is anything I need to do to the mixture or if I can directly throw in half play sand (this is the brand I'm getting Quikrete Brown Play Sand 50 lb - Ace Hardware) and the organic top soil (Ace All Purpose Top Soil 0.75 cu ft - Ace Hardware). Is there anything I need to do to this stuff before I throw it in? Do I need to add water? I am not looking to do bioactive right now, just looking to do some loose substrate along with maybe adding a couple safe plants for him in the tank.

Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all! I'm looking for some help as I'm confused with how to do loose substrate for my beardie. I'm getting my 4x2x2 this weekend and wanted to use loose substrate as my beardie is on non adhesive shelf liner and I want to give him more enrichment.

However, I'm a little confused atm with if there is anything I need to do to the mixture or if I can directly throw in half play sand (this is the brand I'm getting Quikrete Brown Play Sand 50 lb - Ace Hardware) and the organic top soil (Ace All Purpose Top Soil 0.75 cu ft - Ace Hardware). Is there anything I need to do to this stuff before I throw it in? Do I need to add water? I am not looking to do bioactive right now, just looking to do some loose substrate along with maybe adding a couple safe plants for him in the tank.

Thanks!
those sound good - you dont want any thing in the top soil it needs to be bare of fertilizers etc -- no water do like 50/50 of the stuff -- you can find safe plants on the nutrition website
Nutrition Content
scroll to the bottom of the page

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Just make sure the topsoil isn't treated with any chemicals, then just 59/50 mix

umbrezon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kovu
Hey guys! Sorry to bring this post back up - I'm about to do the substrate mix in the tank and the top soil and playsand seem a bit wet/damp to me - is it still ok to use it like this?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It will dry, the biggest issue is it will be cold until the heat lights warm it up.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom