Major Accident

23peterpai

Hi guys!
I’ve been a beardie owner for a long time and I have never had this happen before. My beautiful female (Rebel) had just laid eggs a couple days prior and therefore, was quite energetic (she is always crazy for at least a week after). She ran down the hallway and I went to grab her but unfortunately, my dad came in and the door it her. She did a couple belly rolls and we thought that was it for her, she was dead.
She actually wasn’t, we then made the emergency decision to get to a vet that could take her as fast as possible. As our luck would have it, her normal vet was out of town and we had to make a two hour trip we did not think she would survive. Her mouth was open, she was completely limp, her beard, chest, and tail were black. She only opened her eyes every so often.
Turns out, she did survive the drive to the animal hospital. This amazing team in Las Vegas at the Lone Mountain animal hospital immediately got her some pain killers and fluids. She had X rays done and it showed no broken bones or head trauma, rather, around her neck was very inflamed.
The vet did not think she was going to make it but we decided to give Rebel her best shot and she stayed overnight hooked up to IV’s.
This morning, she was awake with her head up and looking around! All the black is gone and she is once again very responsive. However my concern is she hasn’t closed her mouth all of the way and her head looks slightly more narrow. I’m wondering if it’s just the stress causing her to keep her mouth open, or maybe her jaw is a bit deformed now, or if I should be worried about something else. The other thing I am concerned about is that when she walks, she limps. Although it doesn’t deter her from moving around, I am hoping that it will go away over time. The second to last picture was of before she got help.

Attachments

• 76DD28D1-6F7E-4C13-9C2E-4FA049212857.jpeg
    76DD28D1-6F7E-4C13-9C2E-4FA049212857.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 3AB1939C-4D33-42D5-A69D-AD3E48A7AC51.jpeg
    3AB1939C-4D33-42D5-A69D-AD3E48A7AC51.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 58191370-244C-4F9F-B0CF-DC2FC13CBD73.jpeg
    58191370-244C-4F9F-B0CF-DC2FC13CBD73.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 3B091856-3B25-45AF-8502-834537AA2322.jpeg
    3B091856-3B25-45AF-8502-834537AA2322.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi guys!
I’ve been a beardie owner for a long time and I have never had this happen before. My beautiful female (Rebel) had just laid eggs a couple days prior and therefore, was quite energetic (she is always crazy for at least a week after). She ran down the hallway and I went to grab her but unfortunately, my dad came in and the door it her. She did a couple belly rolls and we thought that was it for her, she was dead.
She actually wasn’t, we then made the emergency decision to get to a vet that could take her as fast as possible. As our luck would have it, her normal vet was out of town and we had to make a two hour trip we did not think she would survive. Her mouth was open, she was completely limp, her beard, chest, and tail were black. She only opened her eyes every so often.
Turns out, she did survive the drive to the animal hospital. This amazing team in Las Vegas at the Lone Mountain animal hospital immediately got her some pain killers and fluids. She had X rays done and it showed no broken bones or head trauma, rather, around her neck was very inflamed.
The vet did not think she was going to make it but we decided to give Rebel her best shot and she stayed overnight hooked up to IV’s.
This morning, she was awake with her head up and looking around! All the black is gone and she is once again very responsive. However my concern is she hasn’t closed her mouth all of the way and her head looks slightly more narrow. I’m wondering if it’s just the stress causing her to keep her mouth open, or maybe her jaw is a bit deformed now, or if I should be worried about something else. The other thing I am concerned about is that when she walks, she limps. Although it doesn’t deter her from moving around, I am hoping that it will go away over time. The second to last picture was of before she got help.
They are pretty hardy animals --- its good nothing was broken or anything else worse --- the mouth slightly ajar is normal - mine it -- she may have gotten a sprain on the one leg --- see how she does over the next couple of weeks and if it hasnt gone away maybe get her back in -- watch for black bearding then you know something is up -- please make sure your using a good UVB long tube fixture correctly placed for your tank and bulb your using and good surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- this is what is going to help the healing process

23peterpai

Original Poster
They are pretty hardy animals --- its good nothing was broken or anything else worse --- the mouth slightly ajar is normal - mine it -- she may have gotten a sprain on the one leg --- see how she does over the next couple of weeks and if it hasnt gone away maybe get her back in -- watch for black bearding then you know something is up -- please make sure your using a good UVB long tube fixture correctly placed for your tank and bulb your using and good surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- this is what is going to help the healing process
She has a great setup with perfect temperatures and a UVB long tube fixture and the bulb was just changed. Should I try to keep her from walking around?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She has a great setup with perfect temperatures and a UVB long tube fixture and the bulb was just changed. Should I try to keep her from walking around?
Your long tube is a T 5 or T 8 and where in the tank? I would let her keep using it I would not it use a hammock now unless it's a cloth or a fleece- too much risk for getting a nail caught- we see a lot of injuries w/ them

23peterpai

Original Poster
Your long tube is a T 5 or T 8 and where in the tank? I would let her keep using it I would not it use a hammock now unless it's a cloth or a fleece- too much risk for getting a nail caught- we see a lot of injuries w/ them
T 8 and about 6 inches above her basking area. And okay, thank you! Why is it normal for beardies to have their mouths slightly open after a trauma?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
She is very lucky, I'm glad that she seems to be alright after this incident. Did she get
all of her eggs laid then?

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom