MAGGOTS INSIDE MY CRICKET BOX? (With Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehzool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=002_ZDNBaRI&feature=youtu.be
^^Video of the worms^^ They LOOK LIKE MAGGOTS!

I'm afraid to feed my bearded dragon crickets now! I found little white looking worm things slithering around where i Keep my crickets. I have no idea how they got in there. I bought them from the store and they came with a potato. I added some stuff too.

So the cricket cage has Dry cat food, Kale, 2 Potatos, and that Yellow Cricket Water Jello stuff. The potato is getting REALLY wet and creating this throw-up looking stuff on the bottom of the cage when I pick it up. And INSIDE the potato there are these little worms coming out.

THEY'RE COMING FROM THE POTATO!! I'm scared and my Bearded Dragon wants crickets so please help soon! Should I throw away these crickets? I don't want these worms to be harmful to him. I also had the cage outside for like one hour... Maybe something could have flown in and dropped these little worms? I don't know.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Yes those are maggots and they are from the rotten potato. Throw out the potato and clean your cricket cage, you should never let anything that wet being in a bug cage.
Use a paper towel and wipe up the maggots, you don't want them tuning into flies and buzzing around your house.
The crickets are fine to feed your dragon, in fact he can have the maggots too if that doesn't gross you out too bad. I have a pretty severe dislike of maggots but they are harmless.

Oh, and try and grind the cat food up, the crickets will be able to eat it better. I use a really cheap coffee grinder.

icelore

Juvie Member
Fresh food are great to guy load your crickets and provide water for them, but you need to remove them before they rot. Things like peaches, melon, mango and apples only last a shot time before needing to be removed, but harder veggies like carrot and celery last longer.

Potato is used by shipping companies because they don't mold quickly, but aren't very nutritious. As Gail said, they aren't dangerous, but you should clean out your cricket tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom