Mac's Creatures & Critters Pet Refuge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtowns7

Hello all!

First time forum member here! I currently own a handsome two year old bearded dragon, Mushu. I've done a lot of research on the care for my little man over the years to make sure he has the best possible environment. As of recently, my boyfriend purchased Mushu a hideaway log from Petco, the Mac's Creatures & Critters Pet Refuge (link down below). I've seen exactly ONE post on here about this specific product and it was basically just a question as to what kind of wood it is. According to the Petco website, it is natural pine and "totally pet safe."

Now, I've read literally everywhere that cedar and pine are highly toxic to reptiles. However, I have also read that as long as the wood is sealed, it shouldn't be the cause of any danger and that it is considered dangerous because of the sap in the wood being released. I also have a leopard gecko, Mango, that uses a log that looks very similar to this one (much smaller in size) and she's never had an issue, but it's about 2 years old and I'm not entirely sure where I got that one from.

So my main questions are: Is this product considered sealed? Has anyone had any issues while using this product? Would anyone recommend it? I really do think Mushu would love this furniture piece to lay on under his hammock, but I don't want to risk his health for any reason. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/reptile/decor-hideaways/macs-creatures-and-critters-pet-refuges

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Personally I probably wouldn't use it.

Pine is toxic due to the oils and aromatics it gives off which while they smell good, are actually volatile compounds that affect reptile lungs much more than human lungs simply because reptile lungs are so under developed when compared to human lungs. That and the volatile organic compounds can also potentially cause neurological issues.

That being said, that product is most likely kiln baked, which should have gotten rid of most of the oils and VOCs but there it's a chance it didnt get them all. So, the log getting wet or warmed up or both is potentially enough to release any VOCs that might be present.

To me it just comes down to the fact that there are many options out there that aren't questionable.

Hope this helps :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom