Lump on leg, trouble chewing, trouble moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBCrowder

Crowder my 5-month-old bearded dragon has not been using his back left leg for a month now. When I noticed this I increased his Calcium with vitamin D3 and changed the uvb to a Reptisun 10.0. I thought he was doing better, but recently he has developed a lump on his left leg and has very limited mobility and he has very little appetite. He also had trouble chewing the two crickets he ate this morning.

Attachments

• thumbnail_image0.jpg
    thumbnail_image0.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Copy of thumbnail_IMG_8679 (1).jpg
    Copy of thumbnail_IMG_8679 (1).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 87

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like the muscle on the leg with the lump isn't developing in a typical way. I'm not certain what the cause is, but it may warrant a vet exam. As far as the lighting goes, it looks like that is a T8 fixture. For best results, that should sit about 6-8'' above the hammock/basking area since the output from those drops quickly beyond that. It's also good to remove the clear plastic shield that sits in front of the bulb if your fixture has one, since that will intercept the UVB.

DBCrowder

Original Poster
It looks like the muscle on the leg with the lump isn't developing in a typical way. I'm not certain what the cause is, but it may warrant a vet exam. As far as the lighting goes, it looks like that is a T8 fixture. For best results, that should sit about 6-8'' above the hammock/basking area since the output from those drops quickly beyond that. It's also good to remove the clear plastic shield that sits in front of the bulb if your fixture has one, since that will intercept the UVB.
I removed the plastic two weeks ago when I replaced the bulb. I will move the fixture closer to the basking area. Thanks for the advice.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a very strange shape there. Has it shown any size changes at all, that you can tell? Is the lump hard to the touch
or more soft?
I'm glad you took the plastic covering off of the tube bulb so the UVB would be more direct.
Since you mentioned that he was having trouble chewing so that can indicate possible bone issues. Are you getting enough
calcium into him on a regular basis?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

DBCrowder

Original Poster
Hello,

That is a very strange shape there. Has it shown any size changes at all, that you can tell? Is the lump hard to the touch
or more soft?
I'm glad you took the plastic covering off of the tube bulb so the UVB would be more direct.
Since you mentioned that he was having trouble chewing so that can indicate possible bone issues. Are you getting enough
calcium into him on a regular basis?

Tracie
The size has not changed. The lump is hard with a little give when I push o it. He does not seem in any discomfort when I touch or push on the lump. I dust his cricket each time I feed him the Flucker calcium with D3 powder. I moved him to a smaller tank where the uvb can be closer to him. My wife has been getting him to drink water off of his endive leaves which really seems to be helping him. His appetite is starting to come back. Hoping all of the advice and tank changes will continue to help him recover. He is holding his shoulder and head up now where before he was not able to do that.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today? At least it doesn't seem to hurt him any right now, that's good to hear.
He must be starting to feel a little better if his appetite is improving. I think he might not have
been getting adequate UVB light. He should hopefully continue to get stronger also.
I would keep an eye on the bump to be sure it doesn't get larger in size or start bothering him
any.

Tracie

DBCrowder

Original Poster
Hello,

How is he doing today? At least it doesn't seem to hurt him any right now, that's good to hear.
He must be starting to feel a little better if his appetite is improving. I think he might not have
been getting adequate UVB light. He should hopefully continue to get stronger also.
I would keep an eye on the bump to be sure it doesn't get larger in size or start bothering him
any.

Tracie
He starting to move on his own which he hasn't done for a week. I will keep everyone updated. Again, thank you all for your advice and concern for Crowder.
Kevin

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kevin,

That is great to hear he is starting to move around more. Hopefully the UVB light
exposure is helping him out some. Keep working with him & you can also let him
try to run around on the floor a couple of times per week for exercise.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom