Lump on hand

Gcapriotti7

Hello my 4yo bearded dragon has a lump on his hand, I'm concerned about it possibly being cancer. The lump is firm, but not bony. He has no noticeable adverse reaction to touching it or gently pressing on it. There is no scale discoloration around it nor does he seem bothered by it day to day, the hand is fully mobile and he uses it. Excrement and urates look normal no noticeable change in weight.
SmartSelect_20221125_135532_Gallery.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello my 4yo bearded dragon has a lump on his hand, I'm concerned about it possibly being cancer. The lump is firm, but not bony. He has no noticeable adverse reaction to touching it or gently pressing on it. There is no scale discoloration around it nor does he seem bothered by it day to day, the hand is fully mobile and he uses it. Excrement and urates look normal no noticeable change in weight. View attachment 75698
It does look swollen - gonna have someone else take a look at it --
@AHBD

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did this bump crop up quickly or slowly, or
are you not sure?
Since he is mobile that is a good sign. It
doesn't look infected either. That is good it
doesn't seem to hurt him.
Are there any other areas on him that have
swollen areass?
He could have gotten an insect bite possibly
but it isn't infected so a possible injury.
Just keep him from having to climb too much
right now, to help the area out in case it's some type of injury. Let us know how he is
doing.

Tracie

Gcapriotti7

Original Poster
Hello,

Did this bump crop up quickly or slowly, or
are you not sure?
Since he is mobile that is a good sign. It
doesn't look infected either. That is good it
doesn't seem to hurt him.
Are there any other areas on him that have
swollen areass?
He could have gotten an insect bite possibly
but it isn't infected so a possible injury.
Just keep him from having to climb too much
right now, to help the area out in case it's some type of injury. Let us know how he is
doing.

Tracie
Not sure 100% but it's been within the past month because I remember he had a stuck shed on that hand before and at that time there was no lump(shed did come off). No swollen areas anywhere else.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is possible there could be some type of inflammation there if you noticed some stuck shed on
his hand previously. How is it looking today?
If there aren't other areas that are swollen, hopefully it is just local & no gout is developing. Let us
know how he is doing.

Tracie

Gcapriotti7

Original Poster
Hello,

That is possible there could be some type of inflammation there if you noticed some stuck shed on
his hand previously. How is it looking today?
If there aren't other areas that are swollen, hopefully it is just local & no gout is developing. Let us
know how he is doing.

Tracie
It looks exactly the same as before. No increase or decrease in size or firmness, and no spreading. I did check the digits today and the one closest to it is somewhat stiff, but there's no external reason I can see for it to be that way, so maybe he injured that one, not sure 100% considering taking him for x-rays.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

When are you getting him to the vet for x-rays?
Very strange, it is possible he did injure it somehow. I'm glad that there hasn't been any changes
in size of the area thus far. Can he use it normally too?

Let us know how things go at the vets.
Tracie

Gcapriotti7

Original Poster
Hello,

When are you getting him to the vet for x-rays?
Very strange, it is possible he did injure it somehow. I'm glad that there hasn't been any changes
in size of the area thus far. Can he use it normally too?

Let us know how things go at the vets.
Tracie
I don't know they're all booked fke the next 4 weeks. I'm really worried. It's still the same size and he seems unfazed

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It isn't getting larger though right now? That is very frustrating when you aren't able to get
an appointment set. The holidays' schedules, etc, definitely don't help out any at all.
Is he still eating normally right now?
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Gcapriotti7

Original Poster
Hello,

It isn't getting larger though right now? That is very frustrating when you aren't able to get
an appointment set. The holidays' schedules, etc, definitely don't help out any at all.
Is he still eating normally right now?
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie
Lump is still there and still the same size, he's still very active, eating normally, seems overall normal other than the lump

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh so sorry the lump has not gone down yet! It doesn't seem to bother him which is great to hear.
I am happy to hear he is eating normally.
Does it look like it might shed possibly, or not?
I am wondering if he got bitten or something?

Tracie

Gcapriotti7

Original Poster
So finally I hear back from the vet, they don't know what it is at all. X-rays say it's not bone but rather that it's dense tissue, it hasn't gone away or grown and they said it could just be a benign growth caused by injury, but are not 100% sure. Nothing abnormal was found in blood work or fecal test.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
So finally I hear back from the vet, they don't know what it is at all. X-rays say it's not bone but rather that it's dense tissue, it hasn't gone away or grown and they said it could just be a benign growth caused by injury, but are not 100% sure. Nothing abnormal was found in blood work or fecal test.
Have you looked into possible MBD or Gout.?
It could also be a 'retained shed' that never healed.

it's dense tissue
That's a strange diagnosis.
There are sometimes 'minor defects.' W/ these creatures.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is odd, so they had no idea whatsoever & the bloodtests were inconclusive as well?
It is hard to the touch, & doesn't move at all, correct?
If it has not changed any & isn't bothering him then it might just stabilize. You could consider
trying to find another vet but I realize it is expensive. I would think that they could aspirate some
fluids from it possibly, to culture just to determine if it is bacterial in nature.
Is he still eating well right now?

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom