Low Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I am new on here and at incubating BD eggs. Bonnie laid 15 eggs on Nov. 26, we have 10 left. We have them in plastic containers with lids in a still-sir incubator. The temp. is staying around 83.5-84 degrees, but we can't get the humidity to stay up. We have put water in the bottom chambers and a bowl of water in the middle of the sealed containers. All of our eggs are sunken in, but we can clearly see red veins. Should we just wait it out? How do we get the humidity to stay up? Someone said to lay a damp washcloth in the incubator. If I have to add warm water everyday, I will. Also, is it ok to mist the eggs, If so, how often? One more question, will having a fan in the incubator help? Thanks.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Don't mist the eggs. You can mist the interior of the incubator. Increasing water in the incubator in any way possible will help, but I would not disturb the eggs by getting moisture directly on them.

Jeff

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
It can be a difficult task depending on your location and time of the year... With winter being one of the driest times of the year here in the US, and heating your home helps further dry things out.

But what I like to do is first place 2-3 layers of paper towels on the bottom of the incubator and mist the towels until very damp. And in opposite corners of the incubator I place two deli cups full of filtered water, and I mist the incubator daily for the first 2 weeks. But most importantly is the moisture content of the substrate in which the eggs sit in... I prefer vermiculite as my substrate, and I will mist the lid of my deli cups or tupperware cups as needed, but it's only a little misting.

To this day with this routine I've had a 100% hatch rate...

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Best of luck and take care!

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom