Lost Interest in Greens

Delta250

Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Hi all,

My bearded dragon Marigold suddenly seems to not want her greens anymore! Started a little bit after Halloween so, I tried tough love for a week and she still didn’t budge. I also noticed she’s not nearly as excited to eat her roaches or BSFL, but will go right after super worms (of course 🙄). I ended up giving her bugs after that because I was worried there could be something wrong, as I kept noticing she’d go in her cool side more too.

I ended up bringing her to the vet last week to get her checked out. Vet said she was really healthy and looks great! I got the green light to try tough love on her again, and have been doing that since. I brought a fecal in that day and got a call today that she has pinworms, but the normal amount a beardie should have. So, she doesn’t need to be medicated.

I did bring up the topic of brumation to her, and she doesn’t think it could be that since her temps are correct, and I have a good schedule with her lights. I guess what I’m wondering is, how can I get her to eat her greens again? It’ll be two weeks without bugs on Monday and she still isn’t budging! I tried adding her favorite fruits, adding a variety, adding things like parsley, cilantro, basil, bugs, and even bee pollen.

Thanks for reading, and any feedback would be appreciated. ❤️

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all,

My bearded dragon Marigold suddenly seems to not want her greens anymore! Started a little bit after Halloween so, I tried tough love for a week and she still didn’t budge. I also noticed she’s not nearly as excited to eat her roaches or BSFL, but will go right after super worms (of course 🙄). I ended up giving her bugs after that because I was worried there could be something wrong, as I kept noticing she’d go in her cool side more too.

I ended up bringing her to the vet last week to get her checked out. Vet said she was really healthy and looks great! I got the green light to try tough love on her again, and have been doing that since. I brought a fecal in that day and got a call today that she has pinworms, but the normal amount a beardie should have. So, she doesn’t need to be medicated.

I did bring up the topic of brumation to her, and she doesn’t think it could be that since her temps are correct, and I have a good schedule with her lights. I guess what I’m wondering is, how can I get her to eat her greens again? It’ll be two weeks without bugs on Monday and she still isn’t budging! I tried adding her favorite fruits, adding a variety, adding things like parsley, cilantro, basil, bugs, and even bee pollen.

Thanks for reading, and any feedback would be appreciated. ❤️
Keep offering---- dragons slow down on their eating in the winter -- mine are not eating very much at all - one is basically brumating and the other still basking etc but low on the appetite - just keep an eye on the weight and offer her water since shes not eating her greens - if shes eating the worms not unusual - take those worms and put them in the salads see if she will eat them that way-- make sure her UVB is not expired and correctly placed in the tank w/ distance for your screen - whether on top or inside the tank - you can keep track of her weight as well w/ a kitchen food scale - weigh in grams - but it sounds like you got things covered --

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Keep offering---- dragons slow down on their eating in the winter -- mine are not eating very much at all - one is basically brumating and the other still basking etc but low on the appetite - just keep an eye on the weight and offer her water since shes not eating her greens - if shes eating the worms not unusual - take those worms and put them in the salads see if she will eat them that way-- make sure her UVB is not expired and correctly placed in the tank w/ distance for your screen - whether on top or inside the tank - you can keep track of her weight as well w/ a kitchen food scale - weigh in grams - but it sounds like you got things covered --
Good to know! I’m taking this a little hard because my first dragon was EXTREMELY stubborn and NEVER ate his greens. Granted, I got him when I was a kid so I didn’t nip the behavior in the bud lol.

So, I should still give her worms or just keep going with the tough love but monitor basically? Her UVB is still good and is unobstructed and at correct distance (14in).

Thank you for your reply! Just don’t want a stubborn dragon basically. 😂

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Good to know! I’m taking this a little hard because my first dragon was EXTREMELY stubborn and NEVER ate his greens. Granted, I got him when I was a kid so I didn’t nip the behavior in the bud lol.

So, I should still give her worms or just keep going with the tough love but monitor basically? Her UVB is still good and is unobstructed and at correct distance (14in).

Thank you for your reply! Just don’t want a stubborn dragon basically. 😂
You can - she will eat when shes hungry - she may just not be hungry - you can try feeding her every other day and give no bugs but offer the salad first - and go from there - see what she does

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom