Looking for my first Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren0311

I have an extra enclusure and i have always wanted a snake, i have been thinking about getting either a Ball Python or a red tailed Boa, can anyone give me some advice on both! I have had many reptiles before so whatever i get will be Well taken care of. and can anyone point me in the right direction where to get one, I live in the Philadelphia Area..

thanks for any advice

Darren

Gail

BD.org Addict
I'd go with a ball python. They are docile, easy to handle and don't get too big. Make sure you get a captive born baby that is eating well on frozen/thawed.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Im personally very fond of boas, however they can get large.
Corn snakes or even king snakes are very easy to care for and come in every color of the rainbow.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Kings and corns are great, I have corns myself. I also like gopher snakes, the albino ones are very pretty. They get fairly large for a colubrid and can have a bit of a attitude.

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
Very much so! The one I went to recently was over 90% snakes! I love red tails, but like Tom said, they can get big. California Kingsnakes are easy to care for, but very active. Make that very very active. Corns are just all around great. Calm, good eaters, not complicated in the least. :)

Floof

Juvie Member
What size is the enclosure? What do you like in a snake... Bigger, smaller; laid back, active? Each species has its own pros and cons. There's several different options that make great beginner snakes, depending on what YOU want in a snake. My recommendation would be to choose a few species you're interested in. Research them, and narrow them down by what ones are of a care level/size/etc that you can handle. Once you have your final list, go to a pet store, an expo, or find a keeper with those species, and see if you can handle a few of each--especially adults, to get a feel for what you can expect.

As for good beginner species, there's a few great ones to look at. You brought up ball pythons and boas, so I'll touch on them first. Both are great snakes.

Ball pythons can be a little difficult with their generally picky feeding habits, but are otherwise great beginners. They can be very lazy, not often active snakes, which may be good or bad for you. Personally, I'm not a fan, but I know plenty of people who love that about balls. For a ball python, you'd be looking at an approx 3' enclosure for the average adult. A good care forum: http://ball-pythons.net

Boas, as has been mentioned, can get quite large, so housing them can be tough... For a male Colombian Boa Constrictor, you're looking at a 4' enclosure minimum. However, putting aside the size issue for now, they can make great beginner snakes. Very tame, straight-forward care, total pigs for feeding. One thing to note, if you want a boa but don't want the size, is there are dwarf localities that stay close to the size of a ball python. Effectively eliminating the size concerns. Hogg Islands and Nicaraguans are two. Nics stay in the 3-4 ft range on average, while female Hogg Islands can still get over 5' but rarely over 6'. Even for the dwarves, a 4' enclosure would be ideal.

Then there's the other "beginner" staple of the snake world, which has been mentioned a few times already: Corn snakes. These guys stay small, around 3-4 ft average with specimens up to 6' rare but possible. They are a slender snake, never needing prey larger than an adult mouse. Very easy-going and tame, but they are active, never really sitting still for handling time. Their care is very easy, as they don't need any special heating beyond one good hot spot (80-85F), don't need any special humidity, and don't need a great deal of space. A 3' enclosure is ideal, but one can thrive in a 20 gallon Long (30x12x12") its entire life. King snakes were also mentioned. For most of them, their care is just about identical to corn snake care. They are also great beginner snakes. A good care forum for corn snakes (I'm sure they'd be happy to answer questions about other colubrids like kings, too): http://cornsnakes.com

Best of luck with your decision. :)

BeardedAaliyah

Hatchling Member
Corns have always (and will continue to have) my vote! I was terrified of snakes, but fell in love with our Apollo. He's cheap and easy to care for compared to many other snakes. Ball Pythons are great, but their humidity is a must, and most people do not take care of them properly. All you need for a corn is:

-A UTH (side mounted preffered)
-A 20 gallon long tank (for sub-adult to adult size)
-Aspen bedding (buy the rodent kind, it is MUCH cheaper than the snake stuff they sell)
-A water bowl big enough for the snake to soak in
-A hide (we use a half log and cardboard tube)
-Rodents appropriate to the snake size (research it, please!)

I also suggest you buy http://www.amazon.com/Corn-Snakes-Comprehensive-Herpetocultural-Library/dp/1882770706/ref=pd_sim_b_3
It is an AMAZING resource. I feel as if I'm a know it all now. :wink: Best of luck! :D

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Don't side mount UTHs. Belly heat is the best heat. Make sure whatever you end up with you use your UTH on a rheostat or thermostat. Under tank heaters all claim they are safe and never go over 20 degrees above room temperature and blah blah blah. They lie. I've measured them at 120F unregulated. WAY too hot for snakes. Don't take any risks. I like plastic tubs best, which makes the BP humidity issue MUCH easier to deal with and gives them a greater sense of security. 41 quart Sterilites are the way to go.

I have a corn and a BP. While I love both, frankly I find Atlas, my ball python dreadfully boring. He essentially doesn't move when I have him out, he isn't interactive because like many Balls he is pretty head shy, but he is by no means a picky eater. My corn chows down on F/T mice happily. Atlas eats rats like they are going out of style. He's like a competitive eating champ. Ball Pythons have a reputation for being picky eaters, but it really depends on the snake. I think mine would eat every day if I offered.

King Crimson, my corn is my buddy. He will hang out around my neck, go exploring in my sweat shirt pockets, but he will also settle down enough to watch TV and not get lost. He is a much more charismatic snake and much more engaging. My little nieces LOVE him, but are terrified of the ball python.

herpchick

You also need to check your local laws i know in Baltimore MD you cant have anything over 4' without a permit and they just recently banned all exotic animals in the Hampstead Md area township. I mean i wouldnt want to get a snake and then after say 5 years they come in and just take it away. And you really need to think about what YOU want snakes are a long term commitment. Boas tend to have a hit or miss disposition (meaning you might get a nice one, or you might not) Ball pythons in general have a great attitude but can have problems with eating. corns do not, but you might get musked on. Kings cant be housed together with anything as they are cannibals, burms if handled right can be like large legless puppy dogs, and retics well... they are gorgeous but both them and burms have a STRONG feeding response and have been known to push their owners out of the way when its feeding day... you really ought to go onto a snake forum and just read different sections in the forums to get a feel for what you are looking for in a snake.

IMO corns are too small so i have a bp i would love to own a dumeril (another great beginner snake but are hard to find) I also sell more BPs at my store than i do corns

BTW i wasnt trying to be rude or mean sounding it is just better for YOU to decide rather than go off what everyone else says as everyone has different tastes as to which is better. i gave you some facts and my opinion but its really a good choice to go onto different snake forums and just read various posts or even go to a reptile show and talk to breeders who have to deal with larger animals on a regular basis also look up Snakebytes on youtube they have lots of great info and have a ton of various snakes they do lots of shows on all the species and pros and cons and what not.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Corns very rarely musk, even wild caught are known for their tameness. And really no snake species should be housed together (other than garters, who WILL musk you), cannibalistic snakes like gophers and kings, for obvious reasons, but corns, BP's and RTBs, etc as well. They are all solitary species in the wild, and putting them together is not a good idea, especially if you are new to the hobby and don't know what warning signs to watch for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom