Lizard is keep getting out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Hi, blitz is getting out of her cage and keeps glass dancing. It is getting way out of hand, and my mom is terrified of her any ideas of how to keep her from trying to get out,
Her temp in her cage is in the upper 90s, has a reptilian 20.0 strip bulb and a pretty big cage.
EDIT:eek:ne more time she gets out I have to get rid of her.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
IDK of any way of keeping her from trying to get out, but we should be able to figure some ways to keep her from getting out. :wink:

It would help to know exactly how she is getting out.
Is this a top or front opening enclosure?
Is she somehow opening a door, or squeezing through somewhere or what?

High 90s seems a bit high--not for a basking surface, but for ambient warm side.
Many recommend 80°F for the "cool" side and 90°F for the "warm" side.
Has she got someplace in her enclosure to get out of the heat if she wants to?

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She is escaping from opening a door, and 90s one the warms side and in the 80s on the cool side. She doesn't have a place where she can escape from the heat without going on the cooler side so no.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Moon4wolfgirl":3mi94x1a said:
She is escaping from opening a door, and 90s one the warms side and in the 80s on the cool side. She doesn't have a place where she can escape from the heat without going on the cooler side so no.
OK, how exactly is she doing this? Sliding door? Swing door? Glass? Plexi? Thickness?
Whichever, it would seem you need a better way of securing it than currently.

I have a dragon that's seen me open the front-facing sliding plate glass door enough times that he's figured out how it works, and tries almost daily to get his claws between the glass & frame and slide it open. Fortunately, it's 1/4" plate glass, and weighs about 15-20 lbs. He'll never open it (but his right arm is getting HUGE! :lol: )

There are locks available for (essentially) display case doors, sliding or swing; here are some examples.

With more specific information, there may be other options/suggestions.

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It is a swing door. And using plexiglass. We are using a strong velcro the hold the doors in place(lock) it worked when she was smaller, but now she figured how to get out and pull it loose, I'm hoping to soon change the doors to a sliding door or at least provide better security in the cage.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Have you tried strong magnets in place of the velcro?
Plexi is good because if necessary, it's easier to drill than glass.
Locks for double swinging doors are slightly different than locks for single swinging doors.
display case glass single swing door locks
display case glass double swing door locks

If you have a big box home improvement store nearby, they should have a selection, and someone who can assist you in picking one out and how to install it. Home Improvement stores are, AFAIK, essential businesses in most places, so shouldn't be closed due to COVID-19.
Amazon or other mail order is another option. Until you get a lock, place something very heavy against the door so she can't push it open or push past it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
reptilian 20.0 strip bulb --- explain what this is? And where in the tank is it? How old is it?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom