live in socal do i still need heat mat

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoeseG

i live in so cal and im wondering do i need a heat mat for my dubias to breed if its usually 80 degrees daily

Brieana

Hatchling Member
That depends. Are you saying your house is 80 degrees at all times, or its 80 outside? Where are you keeping them? They prefer temps in the 90s so they'll definitely be happier if they have a warmer area. But I have heard of dubias breeding at room temps, so it really depends how picky your group is.

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
If the room they are in is at 80+ at all times then no. no extra heating is needed. Mine are at 80-85 at all times with one 100w ceramic heatbulb and they breed like crazy. 85-90 is what most people say. Also make sure there is enough humidity in their bin as well or they will die while molting

hoeseG

Original Poster
i bought them a heat mat today with no shutoff but im trying tio figure out does it go inside the tub or outside in the bottom

Brieana

Hatchling Member
Always keep it outside of the tank and it's best to stand it up against the side. It would get too hot underneath.

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
if its a human heatpad, it can go under. If its one of those reptile or under tank heatpads any side would be the best. I have a human heatpad under on high, It doesnt raise the temp inside at all but it keeps the bottom nice and warm for them.

Also like Brieana, Always put em outside.

patrickmb21

Hatchling Member
What i do with my heatpad. its a big one and i wrap it all around the tub. it keeps the temp around 95

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Patrick. can i ask what kind of heat mat it is? I hate having this Ceramic heat lamp on top. Such a pain to take off every time i need to get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom