Lighting question? (Bulb type and wattages)

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Normally I use 100W bulb for both my enclosures (flukers) but could I use any bulb? For instance instead of a 100w basking bulb could I use a lower watt bulb that is a house bulb? We are having a heat wave so I have had to downgrade lights and to get low watt basking bulbs they are normally colored bulbs (blue/purple/black). I'm asking because for me I can buy a bunch of 30W-75W bulbs by the box and it doesn't hurt my wallet. These are soft white bulbs not specifically made for basking but honestly they will be used for mostly light not heat since it's so hot here

Better to get a 90-100 degree basking temp rather than using a proper basking bulb and get 110-120+ in the tank (I tested it with my beardies outside the tank)

I'm using a 40W house bulb and my Chubbs basking spot is a cool 93 not 105+ that I get with a 100W basking bulb

Attachments

• IMG_20220718_160114.jpg
    IMG_20220718_160114.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20220718_160048.jpg
    IMG_20220718_160048.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 68

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
I understand where your coming from with the heatwave cuz here in VA it’s been 90+ Every day for the past few weeks. You can definitely feel the difference in the house where their tanks are. I thought about the same thing to lower the temp/heat in the living room but decided their health was more important. I can say what I do is run it for like 4hours and cut the basking bulb and CHE off for 30min-hr and then cut them back on to get rid of some of the heat.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I understand where your coming from with the heatwave cuz here in VA it’s been 90+ Every day for the past few weeks. You can definitely feel the difference in the house where their tanks are. I thought about the same thing to lower the temp/heat in the living room but decided their health was more important. I can say what I do is run it for like 4hours and cut the basking bulb and CHE off for 30min-hr and then cut them back on to get rid of some of the heat.
Their enclosures are hot most of the time even with the basking light off it's 90+ I just know it can get too hot. I was told to get the basking between 90-98 so I thought the best way was using a lower watt bulb. I mean I can try to get 60-75w basking bulbs instead of using a house bulb. I'm curious what the difference is between them is though

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Normally I use 100W bulb for both my enclosures (flukers) but could I use any bulb? For instance instead of a 100w basking bulb could I use a lower watt bulb that is a house bulb? We are having a heat wave so I have had to downgrade lights and to get low watt basking bulbs they are normally colored bulbs (blue/purple/black). I'm asking because for me I can buy a bunch of 30W-75W bulbs by the box and it doesn't hurt my wallet. These are soft white bulbs not specifically made for basking but honestly they will be used for mostly light not heat since it's so hot here

Better to get a 90-100 degree basking temp rather than using a proper basking bulb and get 110-120+ in the tank (I tested it with my beardies outside the tank)

I'm using a 40W house bulb and my Chubbs basking spot is a cool 93 not 105+ that I get with a 100W basking bulb
Yes

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo

Try using low watt flood lamps. They are better at creating a hot spot. I use them regularly as basking lights. In normal situations a par38 90 watt halogen flood lamp is a great basking light. With the added heat you are experiencing I'd drop the wattage to 72 watts. They are also dimmable so you can easily turn it down if it gets to hot with a dimmable hood. Best of all, they cost of fraction of what a basking bulb cost and they are sold at any home depot or Lowes, even walmart.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Try using low watt flood lamps. They are better at creating a hot spot. I use them regularly as basking lights. In normal situations a par38 90 watt halogen flood lamp is a great basking light. With the added heat you are experiencing I'd drop the wattage to 72 watts. They are also dimmable so you can easily turn it down if it gets to hot with a dimmable hood. Best of all, they cost of fraction of what a basking bulb cost and they are sold at any home depot or Lowes, even walmart.
I never thought about that I vaguely remember using them back in the day I will just need to see if my lamp dome is big enough

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom