Lighting ( In Aussie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
A friend of mine has just set up a tank for her beardies. She has chosen a different light set up to me so im just wanting some advise.
Because the tank she has got is just a plain tank she has had to buy normal desk light holders for her light bulbs. which she has clipped on the side of the tanks but inside if that makes sense. We r here in Australia and she has brought the brand Reptapets Australia "ReptaSunGlow" 75w as her light source and Reptapets Australia "ReptaInfraPlus" 75w(red bulb) as her heating. The ReptaSunGlow( one used for lighting) has this on the box..... Refelcter lamp with full 4-colour spectrum,UV-A and UV-B rays.increases natural behaviour,and activity,increases metabolism and improves nutrient utilization. makes your eptile more healty and active. The ReptaInfraPlus (one used for heat) has this on box.....Provides infrared heat waves,increases temperatures in the enclosure will not disturb normal activity of your eeptile,can be used for nocturnal viewing can be used both for night and day.
She says she turns the red lighting on at diff parts of the day as she doesnt have it on a timer etc and the lighting one is on all the time. Just some advise about these bulbs would be good if anyone knows of them.

Thanks!

jbowers

BeardedDad":f952b said:
Hi.
A friend of mine has just set up a tank for her beardies. She has chosen a different light set up to me so im just wanting some advise.
Because the tank she has got is just a plain tank she has had to buy normal desk light holders for her light bulbs. which she has clipped on the side of the tanks but inside if that makes sense. We r here in Australia and she has brought the brand Reptapets Australia "ReptaSunGlow" 75w as her light source and Reptapets Australia "ReptaInfraPlus" 75w(red bulb) as her heating. The ReptaSunGlow( one used for lighting) has this on the box..... Refelcter lamp with full 4-colour spectrum,UV-A and UV-B rays.increases natural behaviour,and activity,increases metabolism and improves nutrient utilization. makes your eptile more healty and active. The ReptaInfraPlus (one used for heat) has this on box.....Provides infrared heat waves,increases temperatures in the enclosure will not disturb normal activity of your eeptile,can be used for nocturnal viewing can be used both for night and day.
She says she turns the red lighting on at diff parts of the day as she doesnt have it on a timer etc and the lighting one is on all the time. Just some advise about these bulbs would be good if anyone knows of them.

Thanks!

As far as I know, there are no good compact uv lights. What is needed is a tube UVB light such as a reptisun 10 or Arcadia D3+. Also, for a basking light, a standard household spotlight type bulb works very well, and is much cheaper than anything you can buy at a reptile store. check out petcityonline.com.au for a great price on the Arcadia D3+. Dont use a reflector lamp, waste of money, just get a downlight fitting from bunnings. I got mine for 4.50 each, also you can get a batton holder for a 24" uvb bulb for a similar price at bunnings.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
So is it a strip or a coil? from the description it sounds like an MVB, but i dont quite understand the description lol!

On a side not red lights are not very good, a bright white house bulb will do just fine! What are her temps running at?

BeardedDad

Original Poster
Thanks guys. This is what shes decided to do,shes going to keep the same holders and she cant attach anything else to her tank as its all glass. So she is changing the red lights ( the pet shop suggested) to normal house hold lights for basking. What wattage should she use for those?. And she is going to try and get her hands on the Reptisun 10.0 for her overall lighting.

Thanks !

Niexist

The single most important thing in my opinion for care of these animals is proper lighting. You need a long fluorescent that runs the length of your tank called a reptisun 10.0, then a heat lamp.

The other solution you can use which a lot of people on this site including myself use is a mercury vapor bulb. There is about 3 or 4 kinds of these that people use. The PowerSun, the Mega-ray, and T-rex. These are really the best imo, because they generate heat/UVB, so you only need 1 light, the downside is they can run up to a hundred dollars or more.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, the "Reptapets" lighting are made in China, if I am remembering correctly. So, most if not all of the lights made over in China are of poor quality. So, try to get the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% flourescent tube light.
Also, the red light is not needed at all. They only need bright white light for basking, no colored lights.
Make sure that she has the bright white basking light placed directly beside the tube bulb (when she gets one) on one end to create a good basking end with the UVB right with the basking light.

Tracie

mumof3

Hi,
I managed to get hold of Arcadia lights last year and really noticed a difference. If you can't get them locally, try pet city in Brisbane, they have an online store and will freight. Their prices were pretty reasonable as well.
With your white household globes - I vary from 40 watt up to 100, depending on the temperature at different times of year. Make sure you stock up on those over the next few months, as by November they won't be available.

jbowers

mumof3":e3a05 said:
Hi,
I managed to get hold of Arcadia lights last year and really noticed a difference. If you can't get them locally, try pet city in Brisbane, they have an online store and will freight. Their prices were pretty reasonable as well.
With your white household globes - I vary from 40 watt up to 100, depending on the temperature at different times of year. Make sure you stock up on those over the next few months, as by November they won't be available.

Sorry, but what wont be available in november? Household globes or arcadia lights?

mumof3

Apparently from November on, all regular household globes will only be of the energy saving variety. So where you might currently use a 60watt globe in a lamp (or vivarium!) you will instead use a 12 or 18 watt energy saving globe, they save energy by not giving out heat. Which means we need to stock up no on "regular" (old fashioned!) globes before they become unavailable. 18 watt is fine for the table lamp but it's not going to keep my babies warm!

jbowers

mumof3":18e58 said:
Apparently from November on, all regular household globes will only be of the energy saving variety. So where you might currently use a 60watt globe in a lamp (or vivarium!) you will instead use a 12 or 18 watt energy saving globe, they save energy by not giving out heat. Which means we need to stock up no on "regular" (old fashioned!) globes before they become unavailable. 18 watt is fine for the table lamp but it's not going to keep my babies warm!

Oh dear! Surely reptile globes and such things will still be allowed?

Niexist

I'm sure reptile bulbs will be allowed, but they will be 10-20 dollars a piece, as opposed to household bulbs which are 4 for a dollar.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Here in England its the same story. I was in a store last week stocking up on spares, and the guy knew me and told me to buy more! Im not sure as i havent heard a date but eventually all 'normal' bulbs will be discontinued :cry: i find that the reptile bulbs are either far too hot, or not enough, and there isnt a wide range of styles and wattages for when the tepms fluctuate in the different seasons!

BeardedDad

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for the advise guys. Myself and my friend are wanting to purchase the Arcadia lights now, are these the ones u advised?
http://www.petcityonline.com.au/search.asp?search=Arcadia+&Button.x=32&Button.y=8

http://www.petcityonline.com.au/details.asp?ItemID=5018296205004&CatID=&MainID=

Am going to see if my local pet shop can provide them first b4 i order them online. As for my friend, she has an all glass tank and top how is the best way for her to fix the lighting????? is it tru its not best to put the light on top of glass as it blocks everything out? And a question for myself, i use normal lights for my basking spots too, so when our normal bulbs go, what would b the best to use????? Thanks!

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
The post above asked if this was the correct tube. No, that is only 6% where as the last link I posted is the correct 12% tube.

You can indeed find the 12% at the petcity link, though, you just have to follow the page all the way down.
Hope this helps out !
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom