Lighting help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronjohnston

We got our beardie "izzie" a few weeks ago and she(my daughter claims its a girl) is about a year old. We picked up a huge display cabinet I am re-doing but in the meantime we also picked up a 36x18x18 terrarium for her. I am using a Powersun Mercury vapor 160w combo lamp for the day time in the rear larger fixture and a heating element for nighttime in the front one. On the left we have a normal 60w hallogen bulb for the cool side. My question is, should I add another UVB across the back? Ive read the MVB bulbs dont put out enough UVB. We are planning to make custom caves and a basking area but trying to let her get used to what is in there first. Any help is greatly appreciated. I just want the best for her as shes an amazing girl already.

Attachments

• i-gXbbcp8-X3.jpg
    i-gXbbcp8-X3.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 122
  • izzie.JPG
    izzie.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 90

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We got our beardie "izzie" a few weeks ago and she(my daughter claims its a girl) is about a year old. We picked up a huge display cabinet I am re-doing but in the meantime we also picked up a 36x18x18 terrarium for her. I am using a Powersun Mercury vapor 160w combo lamp for the day time in the rear larger fixture and a heating element for nighttime in the front one. On the left we have a normal 60w hallogen bulb for the cool side. My question is, should I add another UVB across the back? Ive read the MVB bulbs dont put out enough UVB. We are planning to make custom caves and a basking area but trying to let her get used to what is in there first. Any help is greatly appreciated. I just want the best for her as shes an amazing girl already.
Welcome Izzie
Basking temps need to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer these are surface temps not air or ambient --- here is some info on the PowerSun and placement using the 160w versions should be around 14-16'' away through a screen. And yes I would recommend getting a another long tube fixture for a 4x2x2 tank a 24" fixture is good and you want a T 5 bulb Zoo Med Reptisun makes a good brand along w/ Arcadia Pro T 5's w/ a 12% bulb and Sunblaster Nano Tech as well - what are the dimensions of the new enclosure --- you want floor space not height --- temps on the cool side should be 80's during the day -- when making the platforms etc for the new tank please make them moveable -- this is for issues w/ heating and placement of your lighting ---

aaronjohnston

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the reply. The basking area where her log is stays about 98 with a digital probe thermometer we have been checking with. I will add a 24" UVB hood on the back to add more uvb to her area. The new area is an old display cabinet like i said that we are modifying. Its 5ft x 3ft tall by 22" deep so it will give her a ton of room to move around once its done. Ill post pics once i make some headway on it. Thanks again for the help. Now to pick a UVB hood to add.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks so much for the reply. The basking area where her log is stays about 98 with a digital probe thermometer we have been checking with. I will add a 24" UVB hood on the back to add more uvb to her area. The new area is an old display cabinet like i said that we are modifying. Its 5ft x 3ft tall by 22" deep so it will give her a ton of room to move around once its done. Ill post pics once i make some headway on it. Thanks again for the help. Now to pick a UVB hood to add.
I would get a 30" for the new enclosure it's gonna be real big for the tank she's in now but you need to think ahead and not keep buying hoods-- temps for her if she's a baby 105-110

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom