Lighting help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronjohnston

We got our beardie "izzie" a few weeks ago and she(my daughter claims its a girl) is about a year old. We picked up a huge display cabinet I am re-doing but in the meantime we also picked up a 36x18x18 terrarium for her. I am using a Powersun Mercury vapor 160w combo lamp for the day time in the rear larger fixture and a heating element for nighttime in the front one. On the left we have a normal 60w hallogen bulb for the cool side. My question is, should I add another UVB across the back? Ive read the MVB bulbs dont put out enough UVB. We are planning to make custom caves and a basking area but trying to let her get used to what is in there first. Any help is greatly appreciated. I just want the best for her as shes an amazing girl already.

Attachments

• i-gXbbcp8-X3.jpg
    i-gXbbcp8-X3.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 123
  • izzie.JPG
    izzie.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 91

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We got our beardie "izzie" a few weeks ago and she(my daughter claims its a girl) is about a year old. We picked up a huge display cabinet I am re-doing but in the meantime we also picked up a 36x18x18 terrarium for her. I am using a Powersun Mercury vapor 160w combo lamp for the day time in the rear larger fixture and a heating element for nighttime in the front one. On the left we have a normal 60w hallogen bulb for the cool side. My question is, should I add another UVB across the back? Ive read the MVB bulbs dont put out enough UVB. We are planning to make custom caves and a basking area but trying to let her get used to what is in there first. Any help is greatly appreciated. I just want the best for her as shes an amazing girl already.
Welcome Izzie
Basking temps need to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer these are surface temps not air or ambient --- here is some info on the PowerSun and placement using the 160w versions should be around 14-16'' away through a screen. And yes I would recommend getting a another long tube fixture for a 4x2x2 tank a 24" fixture is good and you want a T 5 bulb Zoo Med Reptisun makes a good brand along w/ Arcadia Pro T 5's w/ a 12% bulb and Sunblaster Nano Tech as well - what are the dimensions of the new enclosure --- you want floor space not height --- temps on the cool side should be 80's during the day -- when making the platforms etc for the new tank please make them moveable -- this is for issues w/ heating and placement of your lighting ---

aaronjohnston

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the reply. The basking area where her log is stays about 98 with a digital probe thermometer we have been checking with. I will add a 24" UVB hood on the back to add more uvb to her area. The new area is an old display cabinet like i said that we are modifying. Its 5ft x 3ft tall by 22" deep so it will give her a ton of room to move around once its done. Ill post pics once i make some headway on it. Thanks again for the help. Now to pick a UVB hood to add.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks so much for the reply. The basking area where her log is stays about 98 with a digital probe thermometer we have been checking with. I will add a 24" UVB hood on the back to add more uvb to her area. The new area is an old display cabinet like i said that we are modifying. Its 5ft x 3ft tall by 22" deep so it will give her a ton of room to move around once its done. Ill post pics once i make some headway on it. Thanks again for the help. Now to pick a UVB hood to add.
I would get a 30" for the new enclosure it's gonna be real big for the tank she's in now but you need to think ahead and not keep buying hoods-- temps for her if she's a baby 105-110

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom