Lighting Help for Newbies (:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
JayTheDragonTamer":2pyipvba said:
So just to clarify, Arcadia’s t5 bulbs are all HO, and fit into the ProT? Or does High output only refer to the fixture and any t5 can fit into it? I might buy a different fixture for my bulb.. so should that be ho or just t5?

Also where does this “euro range” thing come in?
I probably have this wrong, but is this the European version of the bulbs and fixtures? Arcadia only has an American website as far as I can see, so i’m worried that I might buy something that I can’t use. I am in the UK.
If that’s not what Euro range means, will I need an adapter for my sockets?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m probably over complicating this. I’m just confused lol

As far as I know, they're all HO. Euro Range tends to refer to T8 bulbs that have a (relatively) high output, but again I think this is a mostly a marketing term. As long as you pick out a T5 fixture with a good reflector that is the appropriate size for the bulb you want, it should work without a problem. The length and the type (T5, T8, etc) are the important numbers for fit.

Since you're in the UK, you have access to better stuff than we do in the US. A lot of the Arcadia stuff is made for that market. I went the opposite way with one of my good Arcadia bulbs and have a UK bulb and use a power converter for it :lol:

Check out Swell Reptiles for a really good source of equipment in the UK.

MamaPizza

Hey, I have a question if that's ok? It might just be a wording thing that I'm not picking up on, but I'm so worried about doing things wrong, lol...

I'm trying to figure out proper placement for the uvb light fixture. I gather that it should go inside the tank, so it doesn't filter out too much, but I'm quite stuck on this quote:

"Just stick the hooks on the back wall of your cage, and hang the light fixture from them."

I may be a little overzealous, but...does this mean it is *better* to have the fixture on the back wall, or just *easier*? Should I attach it to the hood if I can? Or is it actually better to be on the back wall?

Thanks so much! I'm a huge lurker here tbh, and cannot tell you how many times I've referred to this forum over the last few months 😀 you all are amazing!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey, I have a question if that's ok? It might just be a wording thing that I'm not picking up on, but I'm so worried about doing things wrong, lol...

I'm trying to figure out proper placement for the uvb light fixture. I gather that it should go inside the tank, so it doesn't filter out too much, but I'm quite stuck on this quote:

"Just stick the hooks on the back wall of your cage, and hang the light fixture from them."

I may be a little overzealous, but...does this mean it is *better* to have the fixture on the back wall, or just *easier*? Should I attach it to the hood if I can? Or is it actually better to be on the back wall?

Thanks so much! I'm a huge lurker here tbh, and cannot tell you how many times I've referred to this forum over the last few months 😀 you all are amazing!
Please tell me what brand and bulb you have? This will determine the placement and distance for the fixture

MamaPizza

This is the one I bought:

Screenshot_20220202-191132_Chrome.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am sure the fixture is fine - the bulb I am not so sure about - I would recommend you change the bulb out for a Reptisun or a Arcadia 12% bulbs - they seem to be about the best on the market at this time - the placement is better in the tank and placed directly over the basking area 12-15 inches - you can use this stuff to hang in the tank GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black 10375 - The Home Depot
this stuff is like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture it works really good - you might need to snip the screen - if your screen is a wide hole type of screen you can place it on top w/ basking decor distance 8-10 inches - but I would change the bulb out if you decide to do that the bulbs I posted are really good and the Repti Zoo I dont know much about so their out put for UVB may not be as effective

FatalTrip

Beardie name(s)
Julian
Could someone link the UVB lights and Fixtures on walmart or any other site? Sorry if they have already been linked in the other 60 pages.

mjs2020

Beardie name(s)
spike
I can't speak for everywhere in the world but simpler is better. Mega-Ray Self-Ballasted Flood UVB Lamps are all you should ever need. maybe a heat emitter if you don't have a dedicated room for your reptiles.

Dk638

Beardie name(s)
Nugget
Hi, new beardie owner here. I currently have a baby in a 20g tank with a dual dime fixture. Want to get prepared for a 40g enclosure. I plan on using a t5 10.0 with the current fixture. If I use an infrared heat projector in it do I need another bulb for the basking area? If so what should it be. Thanks in advance

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
I've been told I should make this, so here it goes LOL. :)

Here is a basic lighting setup for a beardie. The cage in this picture is a 40 gallon breeder, but the same goes for larger and smaller cages as well.
( * = Optional )

DSC008142.jpg

Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months.
**Note: Fluorescent light bulbs contain mercury, so you shouldn't throw away your used ReptiSuns. Take them to a facility that will dispose of them for you. Some hardware stores such as Home Depot may take your used bulbs for you.

Is there a difference between UVB and UVA?
Yes, UVB rays are a shorter wavelength than UVA rays. UVB rays are from the sun, and they are what cause you to tan. Beardies need UVB rays to process D3 and calcium. UVA comes from any light bulb that produces visual light. So when purchasing a UVB bulb, make sure it says that it emits UVB, not just UVA!

How should I mount my UVB light?
Screen filters out UVB light, so the best way to do it is to mount the light inside of your cage. You can easily do this by purchasing an under-the-counter fluorescent fixture ($9 at Walmart) and 3M command hooks. Just stick the hooks on the back wall of your cage, and hang the light fixture from them.

How many watts should my basking light be?
Since there are a number of things that can affect the temperature in the cage, such as the size of the cage, how well insulated it is, how far away the basking light is, the room temperature of your house, ect. there isn't one light bulb that will work for everyone. For my 40 gallon, I used flood and halogen bulbs there were between 50-65 watts. In my wooden 4x2x2, I use flood lights that are between 30-45 watts. Keep in mind that flood lights, spot lights, and halogen bulbs will be hotter than a regular light bulb because they are more focused in one spot. Wooden cages will also be more insulated and hold more heat than glass cages, so they may need less watts to maintain a good temperature.

Do I need a light on the cool side?
Technically you don't, but it can be helpful. I used a regular house light in mine for some extra heat during the winter, and during the summer I use a coiled "energy saver" light bulb to add some visual light. Otherwise the cool side tends to be rather dark. Since visual light/UVA helps stimulate a beardie's appetite and encourages them to be more active, having more bright lights is never a bad thing!

How should I position my UVB light?
The UVB light should be preferably with in 6-10" of the basking spot, so your beardie can absorb the optimum amount of UVB. The UVB light should also be positioned along side the basking light, for two reasons: So your bearded dragon can absorb UVB while they are basking, and because having a bright white light next to the UVB light helps to protect their eyes from any damage the UVB rays might cause.

How should I heat my cage at night?
Additional heating is only needed if the temps drop below 65*F. A ceramic heat emitter (CHE) is the best way to heat your cage at night, because it does not give off visual light that will disturb your beardie's sleep, and unlike an under tank heater, there is no possibility of it shorting out and burning them during the night.

How should I measure the temperature?
Digital thermometers and infrared temperature guns are the most accurate way to measure temperatures. Dial and stick on thermometers can be as much as 20*F off in wither direction. The Acurite digital indoor/outdoor thermometer (Walmart for $12) can be used by placing the probe on the basking spot, and placing the monitor on the opposite end of the cage to got the temperature readings of the hot and cool side of the cage.

What should my temperatures be?
The cool side should be between 75 - 85*F. For an adult, basking spots should be 95 - 105*F. Babies and juveniles like it a little hotter at 105 - 110*F.

Well, that should answer some of the basic questions. 😉
Hi Jess! I am very new at this as I just rescued a 20 month old male bearded dragon and he is currently in a 40 gallon terrarium. I have ordered a 120 gallon terrarium (48 x 24 x 24) and need to know the wattage of a basking lamp and placement plus the fixture and wattage of the tube bulb as I think I may have order the wrong sizes. Should the lamps be inside or outside the tank? The items have yet to arrive and it looks like I may need to return some of them. I ordered a black mat substrate for the tank, "furniture," lots of silk plants, etc. I am totally confused at all the different info I am reading. Thank you so very much for advise.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi Jess! I am very new at this as I just rescued a 20 month old male bearded dragon and he is currently in a 40 gallon terrarium. I have ordered a 120 gallon terrarium (48 x 24 x 24) and need to know the wattage of a basking lamp and placement plus the fixture and wattage of the tube bulb as I think I may have order the wrong sizes. Should the lamps be inside or outside the tank? The items have yet to arrive and it looks like I may need to return some of them. I ordered a black mat substrate for the tank, "furniture," lots of silk plants, etc. I am totally confused at all the different info I am reading. Thank you so very much for advise.
You want a one of the following UVB's Zoo Med 24" w/a Reptisun 10.0 T5 - Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb 24 watt or a Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T5 -will need to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor- basking bulb wattage will be determined by a digital probe thermometer-- surface basking temp 95-100-- black mat is good for the substrate -- make sure you have a large hide for him -- you also want a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of the tank - if you want or need links to anything posted please ask - the Arcadia Pro T 5 can be found at Pet Smart

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Thank you so much! I actually ordered the Zoo Med 24" w/a Reptisun 10.0 T5 and will hang inside the tank at the correct distance. He has a large hide. I will get a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall. I may have to get a 150 watt basking bulb but will check when I get it all set up. I live in Las Vegas, NV in a very dry climate. What should I keep the humidity at for him?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you so much! I actually ordered the Zoo Med 24" w/a Reptisun 10.0 T5 and will hang inside the tank at the correct distance. He has a large hide. I will get a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall. I may have to get a 150 watt basking bulb but will check when I get it all set up. I live in Las Vegas, NV in a very dry climate. What should I keep the humidity at for him?
optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 or over 70% -- the humidity helps w/ their shedding --

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom