Lighting Help for Newbies (:

Darkestfallen

Beardie name(s)
darkestfallen
So I got reptisun 10.0 t5 22" in each of the three enclosures. After the first full day under the light Galileo and Nessy both turned extremely dark. From research it says that means they are trying to soak up more UVB, or heat. But I haven't taken anything away from either of them, just added the extra uvb. Any ideas?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Darkestfallen":1zh7hyy9 said:
So I got reptisun 10.0 t5 22" in each of the three enclosures. After the first full day under the light Galileo and Nessy both turned extremely dark. From research it says that means they are trying to soak up more UVB, or heat. But I haven't taken anything away from either of them, just added the extra uvb. Any ideas?

Yes, the darkening is likely to absorb the light. Those are very good bulbs - a nice upgrade for them.

JClark2013

Hey all! I’m in Canada and am new to owning a beardy. I’m going out to pick up the Reptisun tube tomorrow and am wondering if any other Canadians have purchased fixtures for them. I’m just not sure where I can find a good one. The Reptisun Hood sits on top of the screen, and what I’m understanding is that it’s not optimal. So I need a fixture that I can hang in the vivarium? Any help on which one and/or where to buy one in Canada would be oh so appreciated!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
JClark2013":1dxu5y9e said:
Hey all! I’m in Canada and am new to owning a beardy. I’m going out to pick up the Reptisun tube tomorrow and am wondering if any other Canadians have purchased fixtures for them. I’m just not sure where I can find a good one. The Reptisun Hood sits on top of the screen, and what I’m understanding is that it’s not optimal. So I need a fixture that I can hang in the vivarium? Any help on which one and/or where to buy one in Canada would be oh so appreciated!!

Are you getting a T5? A hydroponics store will probably have an appropriate fixture. If you have the T5 ReptiSun hood with a ReptiSun 10.0 bulb (not the 5.0 that ships with it) then it can sit on top of the tank. Just make sure the main basking area is about 10'' below it.

JClark2013

I will most likely get the Rep hood as it’s just easier. As long as it sitting on top of the screen is ok? And get the 10 tube, don’t use the T5 if that’s what it comes with? I don’t think the one I’m looking at does. Might be a bit different here. Thanks for your help!

Darkestfallen

Beardie name(s)
darkestfallen
JClark2013":1k6mpftb said:
I will most likely get the Rep hood as it’s just easier. As long as it sitting on top of the screen is ok? And get the 10 tube, don’t use the T5 if that’s what it comes with? I don’t think the one I’m looking at does. Might be a bit different here. Thanks for your help!

What they are referring to is that the t5 bulb is basically the type/shape of the bulb. Which the reptisun t5 hood comes with a 5.0 bulb. For optimal uvb you want to use a size type t5 bulb that is reptisun 10.0 because it puts out more uvb for beardies. Putting it on top of the screen is ok at 10" because of the higher output. If you still choose to remove the screen like some do, then most people refer you to have the light 12" from the basking spot. Also note you want your bulb to only cover approximately 3/4 of the total length of your tank starting at your basking side. So if your beardie feels it needs less uvb it can move to the cool side and be further from the light. Hope this helps I just learned all this as well.

JClark2013

Wow that really does help!! Thank you so much!! I’ve been a nervous over-thinking mess lol. I bought the Reptisun hood and the Reptisun 10 tube. Within minutes of changing it from the compact 10.0 my little guy looked SO much more relaxed and happy. It covers 3/4’s of his 20 gallon tank. Will upgrade to 40 when appropriate

Hey guys I'm getting a juvenile beardie in about a week and I'm trying to get the lighting squared away now. I'm starting it off in a 20 gallon long tank and then going to at least a 40 gallon after that. What size light fixture should I get? 24" or 30"? Both use a 22" bulb it looks like

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Whyitsdonut":13tvwjoy said:
Hey guys I'm getting a juvenile beardie in about a week and I'm trying to get the lighting squared away now. I'm starting it off in a 20 gallon long tank and then going to at least a 40 gallon after that. What size light fixture should I get? 24" or 30"? Both use a 22" bulb it looks like

For a 20g long I'd use a 24'' T5. This one comes with a 5.0 bulb which is about right for a small tank like that https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26053-Reptisun-Terrarium/dp/B00AQU8F2O

Once you move to the larger tank (or you can go with a 40g breeder right away) just get a stronger bulb for the same fixture. Either a ReptiSun 10.0 T5 or an Arcadia 12% like this https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26061-Reptisun-Fluorescent/dp/B00AQU8HAO/

Hi guys,

I may have missed it reading through the replies, but, is a high output tube necessary? I haven't seen anyone mention T5 10.0 HO, so does that mean a basic T5 10.0 is adequate? Or are all T5's high output? And if all T5's are HO, the 10.0 is still better? Because the guide states it has to be at least 18 inches away from the beardie which I find a little crazy. Thanks so much :p

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
chillithebeardie":3g2i28t3 said:
Hi guys,

I may have missed it reading through the replies, but, is a high output tube necessary? I haven't seen anyone mention T5 10.0 HO, so does that mean a basic T5 10.0 is adequate? Thanks so much :p

A T5 10.0 (or Arcadia 12%, 14%) is a high output bulb. A T8 or a T5 5.0 (or Arcadia 6%) is a low output bulb.

CooperDragon":uwovc7li said:
A T5 10.0 (or Arcadia 12%, 14%) is a high output bulb. A T8 or a T5 5.0 (or Arcadia 6%) is a low output bulb.
[/quote]

Thanks, sorry I'm just a little confused. Even though the reptisun T5 5.0 states it is high output, it isn't? I know the 10.0 is much better, but I'm worried about the distance the T5 10.0 HO bulb is to my beardie. The guide states it has to be 18" or more from the 'animal' but the highest point in my tank would be a distance of about 7" so I'm confused.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 5.0 T5 is about equivalent to a 10.0 T8. The HO label seems more of a marketing thing. If you have a T5 10.0 bulb in a fixture with a reflector it should sit about 12'' above the main basking area (10'' if it's shining through a mesh top) for best results. It's always good to provide a gradient though, so you can have a branch that gets a little closer, and you want areas that are further away so they can choose how much UVB they want to get at a given time. I always mount them based on distance to the main basking area though.

CooperDragon":3sx1hxgk said:
The 5.0 T5 is about equivalent to a 10.0 T8. The HO label seems more of a marketing thing. If you have a T5 10.0 bulb in a fixture with a reflector it should sit about 12'' above the main basking area (10'' if it's shining through a mesh top) for best results. It's always good to provide a gradient though, so you can have a branch that gets a little closer, and you want areas that are further away so they can choose how much UVB they want to get at a given time. I always mount them based on distance to the main basking area though.

Thank you so much! I have a better idea now, thanks for all your help. :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The high output is referring to its wattage and the fact that t5 bulbs typically run higher wattage than their t8 counterparts. With higher wattage, you have a stronger bulb.

For example:
a 48" t8 reptisun is 32w
A 46" t5 reptisun is 54w

The reptisun 10.0 and 5.0 in the t5 version are both high output bulbs. The difference is the 5.0 is made for tropical creatures that dont need as much uvb. It's high output in the sense that the t8 5.0 is less watts.

So to put it simple, HO means more watts than a standard t8 bulb
Reptisun 10.0s (t8 or t5) are made for desert creatures.
Reptisun 5.0s (t8 or t5) are made for creatures with less uvb requirements.

So in our situation, t5 and HO can be used interchangeably. because one just describes the other in this case.

-Brandon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom