Lighting/heat/setup advice

Lumber girl

Original Poster
Post-vet appt update:

Unsure of gender. I will look into this more and see if we can determine our beardie's gender.

Dehydration. Vet gave them subcutaneous fluids

Stool samples sent out for testing

Started on anti-worm medicine. Once per every 2 weeks/3 total doses

Suggested continuing with calcium 3x week. Our beardie recently started refusing any powdered bugs, so we moved to liquid calcium on mealworms knowing they would eat them right away. This is what had me worried--maybe too many mealworms was causing an impaction. Was seeing a few undigested bugs last week when they were still eating, and they weren't pooping. This is what first got on my radar that something wasn't right, then they started the glass surfing.

Got a pouch of critical care carnivore to feed 4x day.

Follow up in 3 weeks unless they need to be seen before then.

The vet said to replace my UV light, which is about 6 months old. It is a tube Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 uvb T5HO 39W 34". We have a 4x2x2 viv. Been having issues getting the basking temp correct. I can't help but think the lighting is causing a lot of feeding problems, but now they aren't drinking in the bath either. Not acting sluggish or anything. Glass surfing seems to be right before and right after pooping. Not sure if there's a correlation, but this mornings was urate and liquid.

Vet also said the warm area needed to be closer to 93⁰? Does that sound right? I hate questioning advice from an expert, but wanted to know actual "user experience".

Thanks again for all the input! You've all been incredibly helpful!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Post-vet appt update:

Unsure of gender. I will look into this more and see if we can determine our beardie's gender.

Dehydration. Vet gave them subcutaneous fluids

Stool samples sent out for testing

Started on anti-worm medicine. Once per every 2 weeks/3 total doses

Suggested continuing with calcium 3x week. Our beardie recently started refusing any powdered bugs, so we moved to liquid calcium on mealworms knowing they would eat them right away. This is what had me worried--maybe too many mealworms was causing an impaction. Was seeing a few undigested bugs last week when they were still eating, and they weren't pooping. This is what first got on my radar that something wasn't right, then they started the glass surfing.

Got a pouch of critical care carnivore to feed 4x day.

Follow up in 3 weeks unless they need to be seen before then.

The vet said to replace my UV light, which is about 6 months old. It is a tube Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 uvb T5HO 39W 34". We have a 4x2x2 viv. Been having issues getting the basking temp correct. I can't help but think the lighting is causing a lot of feeding problems, but now they aren't drinking in the bath either. Not acting sluggish or anything. Glass surfing seems to be right before and right after pooping. Not sure if there's a correlation, but this mornings was urate and liquid.

Vet also said the warm area needed to be closer to 93⁰? Does that sound right? I hate questioning advice from an expert, but wanted to know actual "user experience".

Thanks again for all the input! You've all been incredibly helpful!
Hold off on the parasite meds for now till that test comes back - why would you want to medicate w/ out knowing for sure this is the problem or a problem - this will effect the appetite-- normal for them to glass surf before and after pooping - the appetite is off because of surface basking temps - the UVB is good for another 4 months --- change it out around 10 - 11 months of install --- you want 3 temps in the tank 80ish for cool side --- middle of tank 90's and surface basking temps of 95-100 -- what was the surface basking temps when you were getting undigested bugs?

Lumber girl

Original Poster
I think 93 degrees f is too low on the

Hold off on the parasite meds for now till that test comes back - why would you want to medicate w/ out knowing for sure this is the problem or a problem - this will effect the appetite-- normal for them to glass surf before and after pooping - the appetite is off because of surface basking temps - the UVB is good for another 4 months --- change it out around 10 - 11 months of install --- you want 3 temps in the tank 80ish for cool side --- middle of tank 90's and surface basking temps of 95-100 -- what was the surface basking temps when you were getting undigested bugs?
They already got the first dose of dewormer-if only I had known it might affect his/her appetite we would've held off.😖

Undigested bugs were when I had an IR gun reading of 111⁰ but the probe (the wonky one) was at 95⁰. I've since replaced that probe. It seems like we're still having issues getting that basking spot set. Downsized from two 50w to one 35w and it still reads 108-109 with the fixture as high in the tank as I can get it and I think we're aiming for 95-100. Thinking about trying whatever the next lowest wattage is to lower that temp and for hopefully more stability. Makes me wonder how long the temps have been off and we didn't know.

The rest of the tank is good with cool and warm temps. Just cannot get the basking spot set. That is our #1 priority so they can feel better.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, try not to worry too much about all of this. Your dragon is a good healthy weight so don't worry about them eating C.Care supplement 4 times a day, just one or 2 feedings a day will be fine. You will not find anyone that had to feed a large dragon 4 X a day, they don't need it. He/she will settle in just fine, the inconsistent pooing may be from too high temps. and from feeding a lot of mealworms, odd looking poos are very common and so is not pooing for weeks at a time in some cases. So please don't worry. What is the name of the meds. and how often to dose ?

If you can post a couple of pics with your dragon's tail arched high , one of us can likely tell you exactly what you have. Some of us have bred them so you get to know what to look for. Here's how to arch the tail, just scroll to the pics to see how to hold the tail and take a few pics to post here :

Lumber girl

Original Poster
We've got a prescription for Panacur. Once every 2 weeks, 3 total doses.

They ate a few mealworms this morning, first time in a week. No interest in anything else. I did do one round of the supplement, and they didn't care for it but got some down.

He/she has been glass surfing a lot today. Usually this happens near their basking spot and in the warm area. When I got them out of the tank, they gaped like they were too hot, then closed their eyes, seemingly enjoying a snuggle. I did temperature checks again and everything is great. When I put them back in, I put them in on the cool side. I'll check on them again before lights out. Not sure what might be going on? Is this "normal"?

I've a attached the only pic I managed to get since they were rambunctious today. Perhaps I'll be able to get one tomorrow that's better.

Attachments

• SwiftScan 2023-02-08 17.37.25 (2).pdf
    743.9 KB · Views: 83

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Almost certain female. No hemipene bulges in the base of the tail above the cloaca. Try to get another pic with the tail arched higher but from this pic it's female.

Lumber girl

Original Poster
Brief update-stool sample came back negative. Beardie seems to be acting ok other than still not eating on their own and glass surfing. Being fed critical carnivore and drinking some water through a syringe, sometimes they drink a little during a bath. Other than that they seem to be acting almost like themselves. If anyone has been through this and can enlighten me on what to expect I would greatly appreciate it!

I did order a replacement UVB despite it only being 6 months old and we will try that too

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom