Light set up

So just a quick question. Is this ok the way I have my lights set up or is my basking bulb too close? Don’t mind his awkward spot he chose to chill for this pic I haven’t actually seen him sit there before. Normally he’s on top with front legs and head stretched as close to the light as he can.

Attachments

• BA664CF4-2E5C-4F42-AD1E-814AF908912A.jpeg
    BA664CF4-2E5C-4F42-AD1E-814AF908912A.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 2085227B-312A-4CDE-A0F8-0CFCC5D96FB6.jpeg
    2085227B-312A-4CDE-A0F8-0CFCC5D96FB6.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 68

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So just a quick question. Is this ok the way I have my lights set up or is my basking bulb too close? Don’t mind his awkward spot he chose to chill for this pic I haven’t actually seen him sit there before. Normally he’s on top with front legs and head stretched as close to the light as he can.
I am gonna say it's too hot - reason for position - take the probe place directly under the bulb-- get temp - 105-110.for a baby- 6 months over 6 months 95-100- the uvb is a T 5 or a T 8

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The basking light is ok, the uvb not so much. It needs to run the length of you setup insted of across it.its best to have overlap with the uvb and basking lights with multiple levels so they can decide what they want. They are really good at knowing where to be, better than us in fact. As it is niw he is getting very little uvb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The basking light is ok, the uvb not so much. It needs to run the length of you setup insted of across it.its best to have overlap with the uvb and basking lights with multiple levels so they can decide what they want. They are really good at knowing where to be, better than us in fact. As it is niw he is getting very little uvb
The width wise is fine she needs to put a piece of basking decor directly under it- 6-8 inches-

Racerx2316

Original Poster
I am gonna say it's too hot - reason for position - take the probe place directly under the bulb-- get temp - 105-110.for a baby- 6 months over 6 months 95-100- the uvb is a T 5 or a T 8
The prob was reading 101 where he normally sits and it’s a T 8. I have it going across the tank instead of lengthwise because I have nothing to hold the light up and from what I read it’s not enough uv when is going through the lid.

Racerx2316

Original Poster
The prob was reading 101 where he normally sits and it’s a T 8. I have it going across the tank instead of lengthwise because I have nothing to hold the light up and from what I read it’s not enough uv when is going through the lid.
Here is also a pic from the top if that helps

Attachments

• 5142D4DB-D86F-4D0D-9A33-785CC876D7F4.jpeg
    5142D4DB-D86F-4D0D-9A33-785CC876D7F4.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 48

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Correct as long as the uvb is unobstructed your fine just get a piece of decor directly under it 6-8 inches- your screen is a wide hole so a T 5 would of been able to sit on top - if you decide to upgrade to that you can use it on top distance is going to be different tho -- watch what he does the next couple of days see if he gets right under that basking bulb

Racerx2316

Original Poster
Correct as long as the uvb is unobstructed your fine just get a piece of decor directly under it 6-8 inches- your screen is a wide hole so a T 5 would of been able to sit on top - if you decide to upgrade to that you can use it on top distance is going to be different tho -- watch what he does the next couple of days see if he gets right under that basking bulb
Ok will do. And yes he normally is right under the basking bulb stretching as close to it as he can and he will do the normal mouth open. He just happen to be sitting where he was when I took the pic. Also one more question since we are here. It’s cold at night and my light are on timers so when I get home from work(normally around 3am) my house is cold. Should I get a heat pad? or is there something better for the night to keep it warm enough. Last night when I got home he was sleeping in his water and it had me worried because it was so cold

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok will do. And yes he normally is right under the basking bulb stretching as close to it as he can and he will do the normal mouth open. He just happen to be sitting where he was when I took the pic. Also one more question since we are here. It’s cold at night and my light are on timers so when I get home from work(normally around 3am) my house is cold. Should I get a heat pad? or is there something better for the night to keep it warm enough. Last night when I got home he was sleeping in his water and it had me worried because it was so cold
Please take the water bowl out- you can drop water on his nose see if he will lick or use a eye dropper- is he eating his salads? If so rinse the greens before serving they get most of their hydration thru them - please get a digital probe hygrometer place on the back center wall of tank optimal humidity 40-50%-- if the tank is dropping below 65 at night then get a ceramic heat emitter-- you will need a dome w/ a ceramic socket - place on top of screen center of tank they produce heat no light- you want temps at night ambient 65-75

Racerx2316

Original Poster
Please take the water bowl out- you can drop water on his nose see if he will lick or use an eye dropper- is he eating his salads? If so rinse the greens before serving they get most of their hydration thru them - please get a digital probe hygrometer place on the back center wall of tank optimal humidity 40-50%-- if the tank is dropping below 65 at night then get a ceramic heat emitter-- you will need a dome w/ a ceramic socket - place on top of screen center of tank they produce heat no light- you want temps at night ambient 65-75
I have the hygro already and will move it to the middle,took out the water, and got a heat emitter. He eats greens but for some reason only when I hand feed them. I don’t have to force any greens he will just only eat them if I hand feed. Other then that he chases the crickets, roaches, and worms I give him.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with xp29, it's best to get the uvb light to cover more area because he will not get any uvb unless he sits just in that corner. Use velcro strips or picture hanging wire or even fishing line to attach it under the screen and have it run lengthwise.

Beardie name(s)
Diamond
I would put the UVB across the
long part of the cage so that it does not hang over the edge and put some decor under the UVB so that your dragon can get close enough
The UVB should be in the side not the middle so the dragon can choose if they want UVB
And it is ok if the UVB is on the warm and cooler side

Beardie name(s)
Diamond
I would put the UVB across the
long part of the cage so that it does not hang over the edge and put some decor under the UVB so that your dragon can get close enough
The UVB should be in the side not the middle so the dragon can choose if they want UVB
And it is ok if the UVB is on the warm and cooler side
Like racerx2316 and xp29 said it should cover more area

Racerx2316

Original Poster
I agree with xp29, it's best to get the uvb light to cover more area because he will not get any uvb unless he sits just in that corner. Use velcro strips or picture hanging wire or even fishing line to attach it under the screen and have it run lengthwise.
Ok that’s a good idea thanks. I raised the stones closer to the light and moved the wood over also since he likes to sit on it. This is what it looks like now. I’ll get some hooks or wire today so I can run it along the cage and not across

Attachments

• 47BA18BF-416A-4CFB-BB18-899C0D084520.jpeg
    47BA18BF-416A-4CFB-BB18-899C0D084520.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 58

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom