Light help for 5ftby2ftby2f enclosure for 7 month old beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowww

Beardie name(s)
Willow
I have a 5ftby2ftby2ft cage for my beardie, about 150 gallons but I guess his tank is too big cause I can’t find anybody with the same measurements saving what wattage they use, I had a 160 all in one (not anymore since I got better uvb) anyway the 160 watts all in one didn’t heat it enough somehow but not that I’m not using all in ones, I have zero idea what to do. the lowest temperature in my room at all times is like 70degrees Fahrenheit and outside the lowest it gets is 88 Fahrenheit idk if that info helps

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It will take some trial and error to find the best brand and wattage for your setup. I do suggest using a T5 Arcadia 12% for your UVB light. You can set that at about 12'' above the main basking area and that should be good. Then you can focus on adjusting the surface temps/heat independently.

I've had some good luck with the Westinghouse BR40incandescent bulbs recently. I get them at Ace hardware. The 125w version works well. There is also a 250w which is quite powerful, but can be dimmed a bit to fine tune the output as needed. I've also had good luck with the 80w GE PAR38 halogen bulb. That might be worth a try as well. If you get an adjustable lamp stand, it helps with raising/lowering the bulb to adjust the temps. Just set a temp probe next to the basking area and try the different lights out until you get a good basking surface and gradient across your enclosure.

Willowww

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Willow
It will take some trial and error to find the best brand and wattage for your setup. I do suggest using a T5 Arcadia 12% for your UVB light. You can set that at about 12'' above the main basking area and that should be good. Then you can focus on adjusting the surface temps/heat independently.

I've had some good luck with the Westinghouse BR40incandescent bulbs recently. I get them at Ace hardware. The 125w version works well. There is also a 250w which is quite powerful, but can be dimmed a bit to fine tune the output as needed. I've also had good luck with the 80w GE PAR38 halogen bulb. That might be worth a try as well. If you get an adjustable lamp stand, it helps with raising/lowering the bulb to adjust the temps. Just set a temp probe next to the basking area and try the different lights out until you get a good basking surface and gradient across your enclosure.
Okay thank you! I just don’t have the money to be spending a ton on different lamps so I’ve been trying to find ones that are hotter than I need because them I can just put them higher up and I won’t need to get another

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you have the overhead space for it (and can adjust as needed), try the 250w Westinghouse BR40 incandescent. That has a nice wide beam and should produce plenty of heat. It does a reasonable job on a dimmer as well. I have one of those in my setup at the moment. A 2 pack of them should be under $20.

OrchardDragon

Beardie name(s)
Urdnot Grunt
I have a 5'x4'x3' and successfully heat it with a solar glo 125w on the left end and a Philips 45w equivalent halogen on the other end although I have a second 45w on that end for colder days. The basking sights are between 16" and 12" from the bulbs.
Hope that helps.

Willowww

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Willow
I have a 5'x4'x3' and successfully heat it with a solar glo 125w on the left end and a Philips 45w equivalent halogen on the other end although I have a second 45w on that end for colder days. The basking sights are between 16" and 12" from the bulbs.
Hope that helps.
This helps a ton! Esp since ur measurements are close to mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom