Letting my lizzard out of his cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

meganm

My bearded dragon has been trying to escape out of my hands after a while. He wants to start exploring and I feel bad because I am afraid of him getting lost in my house under something. Is there a way to let him free and keep him safe I've done a lot of research about it and they mention hamster balls but may other people frown on them because of the fact of other animals. I have a dog and a cat as well. What should I do ?

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
if you have a room that you can block off areas that would be the best place.
i used my hallway. i closed all the doors and blocked off the end of the hallway.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
I wouldn’t put him in a hamster ball. It just doesn’t sound right to me. When I started letting Dewey explore the room I blocked him off in a small section. I had pillows stacked and other odds and ends that I could use to block off under furniture. I also sat on the floor with him so if he got too close to getting into something I could grab him and move him. As long as you’re there to supervise there shouldn’t be any major issues. :)

meganm

Original Poster
Okay it just scares me I don't want to loose him. I love spike. He is also having problems eating his greens. He goes days without touching them. Any ideas on how I could get him to eat everyday so he stays healthy?

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
I'm assuming he's still a younger one? If he's still a "baby" it's normal for them to not eat salad that often. You can experiment with different veggies and fruit to offer different colors that he might be interested in. Maybe he's just not too fond of what you're offering right now? You can also put worms in his salad so the movement will catch his eye.

meganm

Original Poster
Yeah he really liked the millers but then he woild just digg in his dish and the crickets made him aggresive now he's better at being handled. I've been tryimg fruits and veggies but like I said its not working.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Hello :). A good place for your beardie to run around at is a bathroom. You can shut the door and let it run around. If it is small you can put a towel under the door so it can't get out. I wouldn't use a hamster ball because a beardies foot or nail can easier get stuck in one of the openings and get hurt or ripped off

meganm

Original Poster
I'm glad I didn't go buy the ball then :/ I wouldn't want that to happen to spike. :shock:

hello, :)
it sounds odd, but I blend up carrots so that it has the consistency of baby food.
and my lizards lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve them.
so I tried blending up other veggies with them, like romaine lettuce, cabbage, or cucumbers sometimes
I feel like it's more appealing to them when they can smell it in HD lol

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How old is your beardie? If under a yr old, he needs LOTS of protein to help him grow so getting him to eat more veggies & fruits isn't as important as him eating healthy feeders. If you don't know his age, could you fill us in on length from tip of nose to end of tail?

What feeders have you offered besides crickets? Can you explain what you meant by
the crickets made him aggresive
?

Here's a list that shows the best greens/veggies to feed in green print: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I do agree with the others that you could block off an area so that he can get some needed exercise which will also help increase his appetite.

Nattyklis

Hatchling Member
Leash your lizard. I know it sounds weird at first and my beardie looks hilarious wearing it but you can then let him run as far as the leash will let him and if he happens to run under something your not playing catch the lizard you simply hold the leash so he can't run further and grab him. It also allows you to take him outside when its warm out in the summer and he can enjoy that without you having to worry about him running away. These are two sites I recommend, I currently have one from drag-a-longs that I enjoy. Make sure if you measure that he's not puffing out any otherwise you order one too big.

http://www.oglerpets.com/lizard-leashes.php
http://drag-a-longs.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom