Lethargic, no appetite, sunken/bulging eyes, gulping, black beard, etc. Help.

bigalbert

Beardie name(s)
Albert
Hi everyone, I'm desperate and need help. So sorry for the long post! Just very concerned.

I have a beautiful boy named Albert, and he's been ill for about almost 2 weeks now and is getting worse.

He has a black beard all the time now, and half of his tail is dark most of the time. He's very weak and doesn't move around a lot, except to move in and out of his basking spot. Sometimes he will go very limp (gets worse whenever I give him food or antibiotics). His eyes will be sunken most of the time, and then bulging the next. Most of the time he has his eyes closed, but sometimes he will open them and be a little perky. He poops a tiny bit every now and then, but they're usually small dollops of urate. They look like a slight tan color. Earlier today he had small mushy smelly poop, with very little urate. He's also been gulping a lot and will sometimes lick his mouth. His saliva also looks a bit thick and slimey. His skin looks a little wrinkled too, but I'm not sure if that's because of his positioning or not. Doesn't look that wrinkled when he's lying in a straight position and is splayed out.

He's already been to the vet twice now, and he's gotten worse. First visit was because he went almost a week without eating and was being very lethargic, which is unusual of him. They couldn't find anything wrong with him, but they injected him with liquids for hydration and prescribed me 10 days worth of baytril with some omnivore special care food to syringe feed him 4-5 times a day with and then told me to hope for the best.

Second visit was because he started to black beard and has gotten worse since the first visit and his antibiotics didn't seem to be doing anything. They still couldn't figure out what's wrong with him.

Fast forward to now, I have like 3 antibiotics left. I haven't given him any of it today, because he acts worse whenever I do give him his baytril, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all for him. I had to quit feeding him that omnivore stuff at one point because he puked it all back up one day (Looked like there was a bit of dark purple poop in it?? Might have been a blueberry from before. Not sure if it was vomit or poo, but it looked like undigested food, and his back end was not messy at all), so now I'm scared to feed him anything else. I've been giving him bits of water 2-3 times a day, and he seems to have no issues with that.

He's been tested for parasites, but came back clean (His bagged poop was refrigerated (gross, I know! sorry) and kept for about 2 days because he had barely been pooping and I saved it incase he didn't go again. I don't know if that messed with the results or not.) and he's been x-rayed and checked for impaction, but all they found was excessive gas build up in him. I'm not sure if that's what's causing all of this??

They didn't do any blood work on him, so I'm considering going back and asking them to do that. Does anyone know what's wrong with my poor baby? What can I do for him until I'm able to take him back to the vet?

BTW, you can check my profile for his setup info. His humidity is currently 40%, but at some points for a little while it was around 25%. He also weighs 635 grams. I don't know if it would help with anything, but I have pics of him in his current state and also have a copy of his x-rays. I could post them if needed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone, I'm desperate and need help. So sorry for the long post! Just very concerned.

I have a beautiful boy named Albert, and he's been ill for about almost 2 weeks now and is getting worse.

He has a black beard all the time now, and half of his tail is dark most of the time. He's very weak and doesn't move around a lot, except to move in and out of his basking spot. Sometimes he will go very limp (gets worse whenever I give him food or antibiotics). His eyes will be sunken most of the time, and then bulging the next. Most of the time he has his eyes closed, but sometimes he will open them and be a little perky. He poops a tiny bit every now and then, but they're usually small dollops of urate. They look like a slight tan color. Earlier today he had small mushy smelly poop, with very little urate. He's also been gulping a lot and will sometimes lick his mouth. His saliva also looks a bit thick and slimey. His skin looks a little wrinkled too, but I'm not sure if that's because of his positioning or not. Doesn't look that wrinkled when he's lying in a straight position and is splayed out.

He's already been to the vet twice now, and he's gotten worse. First visit was because he went almost a week without eating and was being very lethargic, which is unusual of him. They couldn't find anything wrong with him, but they injected him with liquids for hydration and prescribed me 10 days worth of baytril with some omnivore special care food to syringe feed him 4-5 times a day with and then told me to hope for the best.

Second visit was because he started to black beard and has gotten worse since the first visit and his antibiotics didn't seem to be doing anything. They still couldn't figure out what's wrong with him.

Fast forward to now, I have like 3 antibiotics left. I haven't given him any of it today, because he acts worse whenever I do give him his baytril, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all for him. I had to quit feeding him that omnivore stuff at one point because he puked it all back up one day (Looked like there was a bit of dark purple poop in it?? Might have been a blueberry from before. Not sure if it was vomit or poo, but it looked like undigested food, and his back end was not messy at all), so now I'm scared to feed him anything else. I've been giving him bits of water 2-3 times a day, and he seems to have no issues with that.

He's been tested for parasites, but came back clean (His bagged poop was refrigerated (gross, I know! sorry) and kept for about 2 days because he had barely been pooping and I saved it incase he didn't go again. I don't know if that messed with the results or not.) and he's been x-rayed and checked for impaction, but all they found was excessive gas build up in him. I'm not sure if that's what's causing all of this??

They didn't do any blood work on him, so I'm considering going back and asking them to do that. Does anyone know what's wrong with my poor baby? What can I do for him until I'm able to take him back to the vet?

BTW, you can check my profile for his setup info. His humidity is currently 40%, but at some points for a little while it was around 25%. He also weighs 635 grams. I don't know if it would help with anything, but I have pics of him in his current state and also have a copy of his x-rays. I could post them if needed.
Please adjust the UVB - I would get it in the tank directly above his basking decor piece 12-15 inches as soon as you can - if the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door its blocking 30% of the rays and 16 inches is too far away--- please no more antibiotics - if he doesnt have a good reaction to it please stop w/ them -- please lay off the Repashy calcium as well - I am flagging the post to our vet tech mod she can help w/ the meds and the calcium as well -- please post the X rays Tracie is good at reading them
@Drache613

bigalbert

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Albert
Please adjust the UVB - I would get it in the tank directly above his basking decor piece 12-15 inches as soon as you can - if the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door its blocking 30% of the rays and 16 inches is too far away--- please no more antibiotics - if he doesnt have a good reaction to it please stop w/ them -- please lay off the Repashy calcium as well - I am flagging the post to our vet tech mod she can help w/ the meds and the calcium as well -- please post the X rays Tracie is good at reading them
@Drache613
OK will do! here are the pics

Attachments

• 15798c3d446fc512ac8a301b9f046709-png.jpg
    15798c3d446fc512ac8a301b9f046709-png.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 85
  • b8bca39ba0b6c9b2b1ed92282906388d-png.jpg
    b8bca39ba0b6c9b2b1ed92282906388d-png.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 82

bigalbert

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Albert

He died just now. :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He died just now. :(
Good heavens ---- I am so sorry - what in the world was going on w/ him? That is terrible! It is so shocking when this happens especially when you just had them into the vet- wow- black beard is a sign of pain or distress and in this case its hard to know exactly what was going on- maybe Tracie can spot something on the X ray or the antibiotic he was on -- again I am so sorry :(
@Drache613

bigalbert

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Albert

He died. :(
Good heavens ---- I am so sorry - what in the world was going on w/ him? That is terrible! It is so shocking when this happens especially when you just had them into the vet- wow- black beard is a sign of pain or distress and in this case its hard to know exactly what was going on- maybe Tracie can spot something on the X ray or the antibiotic he was on -- again I am so sorry :(
@Drache613
I just went to the vet to have him cremated. I made sure to check on him again, he was stiff as a board. He gasped for air a few times last night as I held and loved on him, then he never breathed again after that. 💔 My poor baby. I wish I knew what was wrong with him.

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
I am so very sorry to hear this. I lost my dragon last night as well. She was just at the vet in the afternoon, and died within hours of coming home. My dragon death experience sounds similar to yours. At 6 pm after eating she was very pale, including rhe inside of her mouth, her beard was jet black, she was limp, eyes were very sunken, eyebows flat, she vomitted, and was gasping . By 8:30 pm she was gone. I know exactly what you went through last night and what you are feeling today. It is so heartbreaking and the loss is immeasurable. My heart is with you. Those little guys sure know how to take a little piece of your heart. My deepest condolences, and my wishes for comfort during this time.

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He died. :(

I just went to the vet to have him cremated. I made sure to check on him again, he was stiff as a board. He gasped for air a few times last night as I held and loved on him, then he never breathed again after that. 💔 My poor baby. I wish I knew what was wrong with him.
Aw, I'm so very sorry about Albert. Sending my deepest condolences at this heartbreaking time.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so very sorry to hear about Albert, that is absolutely horrible.:cry: Wow, it does seem very sudden.
Do you mind if I ask why he was on so many medications?
His bones looked bright on the x-rays. No metabolic bone disease, correct? Possible liver or kidney
disease, but without a blood test that is hard to determine. I didn't see any mass or anything of that
nature on the x-rays.
My condolences for your loss. I am glad that he was not alone & had you with him.

Tracie

bigalbert

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Albert
Hello,

I am so very sorry to hear about Albert, that is absolutely horrible.:cry: Wow, it does seem very sudden.
Do you mind if I ask why he was on so many medications?
His bones looked bright on the x-rays. No metabolic bone disease, correct? Possible liver or kidney
disease, but without a blood test that is hard to determine. I didn't see any mass or anything of that
nature on the x-rays.
My condolences for your loss. I am glad that he was not alone & had you with him.

Tracie
They put him on that many meds because they were hoping it would help him. They never did figure out what was wrong with him. No MBD, he didn't show any signs of that as far as I'm aware. Very healthy and active with a big appetite, and he was quite happy up until he got sick and passed. I wish I didn't give him those meds, I think they probably made him worse. :( A while before he passed, he had moments where he would jerk his tail and lower body and would perk up a little like he was experiencing sudden sharp pain. I noticed he started to act a little weird a short while after I replaced his old UVB light with a new one. I'm wondering if maybe that caused him to get sick? I'm not sure why it would tho. It's the same one I had been using for a long time.

bigalbert

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Albert
I am so very sorry to hear this. I lost my dragon last night as well. She was just at the vet in the afternoon, and died within hours of coming home. My dragon death experience sounds similar to yours. At 6 pm after eating she was very pale, including rhe inside of her mouth, her beard was jet black, she was limp, eyes were very sunken, eyebows flat, she vomitted, and was gasping . By 8:30 pm she was gone. I know exactly what you went through last night and what you are feeling today. It is so heartbreaking and the loss is immeasurable. My heart is with you. Those little guys sure know how to take a little piece of your heart. My deepest condolences, and my wishes for comfort during this time.
It's very hard losing these little guys. Such beautiful creatures with adorable bright little personalities. 💔

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom