Karlamom

Beardie name(s)
Salt and Pepper
Hello, I’m a new beardie mom. I inherited two of them and they’re about 5 wks old. I did several things wrong. I got “small” crickets from the store but weren’t very small. I put them in there and later realized they were too big. I left the crickets in overnight…I’ve read that was not good. So I took them out. Then my don gave them a bath that was a little deeper than I’d like.

Now, the bigger of the two is very limp. Last night he didn’t move. But, after a while I saw him breathe. My husband saw him move his neck and open his mouth a few times. Maybe choking? Today no movement, belly looks deflated. We’ve learned the hard way. They’re in a 40 gallon tank and we’re just about to give one to a friend since we read they shouldn’t be together. Help! Any hope?

Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry you are having trouble with one of your new beardies. Do you have a picture of the ill
one?
Do you think he ate too large of a cricket?
That is correct, they shouldn't be housed together, but if there isn't any evidence of a fight, that
likely isn't the cause. If crickets were left in the tank then too large of prey will definitely cause
trouble. Is he breathing? Did he possibly aspirate some water? They can drown or aspirate
very quickly when in a bath.
If he is still with you, try to get him in a tank alone & get him all setup to where he is comfortable.
Try to keep him warmer overnight, around 75-80F to help boost his immune system.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Karlamom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Salt and Pepper
I don’t think he’s breathing. But the night before my husband said the same thing and when I looked he started moving. I pictures in my profile. How do I post them here? Thank you for the reply. He actually would lay on top of the other beardie when basking. But other than that not too much fighting. I wondered both concerns myself.

Karlamom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Salt and Pepper
BC4E0940-8AFE-431C-B9B9-1881CD35AA48.jpeg

Attachments

• 474F276E-B5A5-4E84-BBAD-546F428ED8B2.jpeg
    474F276E-B5A5-4E84-BBAD-546F428ED8B2.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 87
  • C249938E-5012-40F7-B21D-3829D0963C73.jpeg
    C249938E-5012-40F7-B21D-3829D0963C73.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 74

Karlamom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Salt and Pepper
Hello,

So sorry you are having trouble with one of your new beardies. Do you have a picture of the ill
one?
Do you think he ate too large of a cricket?
That is correct, they shouldn't be housed together, but if there isn't any evidence of a fight, that
likely isn't the cause. If crickets were left in the tank then too large of prey will definitely cause
trouble. Is he breathing? Did he possibly aspirate some water? They can drown or aspirate
very quickly when in a bath.
If he is still with you, try to get him in a tank alone & get him all setup to where he is comfortable.
Try to keep him warmer overnight, around 75-80F to help boost his immune system.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
We also leave the roaches in there. Is that a no-no too?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We also leave the roaches in there. Is that a no-no too?
The roaches are fine --- it doesnt look like the one is going to make it -- are you using a purple bulb if so shut it off --- colored bulbs are no good --- they cause eye damage interrupt sleep etc--- you need surface basking temps of 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - a good UVB NO coils they are a health hazard --- I can post links for those if you like -- in the mean time a Ceramic Heat emitter in a dome w/ a ceramic socket would be good -- we need to get the tank set up and on par for the other dragon to thrive -- what is the other one doing today?

Karlamom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Salt and Pepper
The roaches are fine --- it doesnt look like the one is going to make it -- are you using a purple bulb if so shut it off --- colored bulbs are no good --- they cause eye damage interrupt sleep etc--- you need surface basking temps of 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - a good UVB NO coils they are a health hazard --- I can post links for those if you like -- in the mean time a Ceramic Heat emitter in a dome w/ a ceramic socket would be good -- we need to get the tank set up and on par for the other dragon to thrive -- what is the other one doing today?

Karlamom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Salt and Pepper
Please send me the links. The smaller one is doing just fine. We believe she’s a she. The one that we believe has passed was bigger and appeared to be a boy. Thank you for the help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please send me the links. The smaller one is doing just fine. We believe she’s a she. The one that we believe has passed was bigger and appeared to be a boy. Thank you for the help.
I am so sorry about the little one--- so many are sick when people get them --- here are some links for good UVB's please get this right away try Pet Smart if you have one or it can be ordered you want the one w/ the 12% bulb Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Heating & Lighting | PetSmart
you can use a 30" I usually recommend a 24" but these seem to be sold out pretty much every where you want a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb I dont know if this one comes w/ a 5.0 bulb I know the 24" does but you want that bulb 10.0 T 5 bulb Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
or this fixture 2 ft or 24" https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
you will need to change the bulb out to the one I posted Reptisun
When you get the UVB please let me know I can help you place it for your tank - your screen will determine where the UVB needs to go for placement and distance

Karlamom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Salt and Pepper
I am so sorry about the little one--- so many are sick when people get them --- here are some links for good UVB's please get this right away try Pet Smart if you have one or it can be ordered you want the one w/ the 12% bulb Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Heating & Lighting | PetSmart
you can use a 30" I usually recommend a 24" but these seem to be sold out pretty much every where you want a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb I dont know if this one comes w/ a 5.0 bulb I know the 24" does but you want that bulb 10.0 T 5 bulb Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
or this fixture 2 ft or 24" https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
you will need to change the bulb out to the one I posted Reptisun
When you get the UVB please let me know I can help you place it for your tank - your screen will determine where the UVB needs to go for placement and distance

Do I need to get a ceramic heating source as well?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do I need to get a ceramic heating source as well?
How is the dragon doing? Depending on the temps in the tank at night - you wont need it if the tank is above 65 -- they are good to have on hand tho if the dragon becomes sick - thats when you are going to want to keep temps warmer at night like around 80 --- but dragons like cool and dark to sleep-

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am so sorry for your little dragon, it is horrible to have to lose one so suddenly. He was
ill when you got him. Is your other one doing well?
As Karrie has suggested, the UVB lighting & heating is crucial so definitely try to get those UVB
lights upgraded as soon as you can.
For now, if it is a little cooler in her tank you can use a ceramic heat emitter to help boost the
temperatures up to around 75-80 if needed.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

Karlamom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Salt and Pepper
Hello,

Oh I am so sorry for your little dragon, it is horrible to have to lose one so suddenly. He was
ill when you got him. Is your other one doing well?
As Karrie has suggested, the UVB lighting & heating is crucial so definitely try to get those UVB
lights upgraded as soon as you can.
For now, if it is a little cooler in her tank you can use a ceramic heat emitter to help boost the
temperatures up to around 75-80 if needed.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

Karlamom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Salt and Pepper
Thank you!! They both died, my kids are devastated. We’re still not sure what exactly caused them to die. I was sad, as I had done a ton of research on them before getting them. We’re going to get one more so I want to be prepared.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you!! They both died, my kids are devastated. We’re still not sure what exactly caused them to die. I was sad, as I had done a ton of research on them before getting them. We’re going to get one more so I want to be prepared.
That is awful -- I am so sorry -- please make sure you disinfect the tank w/ some F 10 found on Amazon or Ebay - its a vet disinfectant and a concentrate it will last a long time- please post back on here w/ questions - we dont know why they died but I recommend you only get one - you do not want two in one tank --

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom