Lethargic after exposure to Unknown Bark

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie has been lethargic and rarely opening her eyes. I have taken her to a vet and she is starting to show minor improvement. But I had added a piece of unknown bark to her vivarium that I fear may have been cedar or pine. I have thrown it out. Do any of you know what kind of wood this is and what should should I do if it was cedar.

gNpUIVY.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am by no means an expert on wood, but it does look a bit like cedar. The reddish color at the
base of the wood appears to be what cedar looks like.
Did the vet give any activated charcoal for her, or if not, what did he give her?
I would disinfect the tank just to be sure you have gotten any possible resin out of the tank that
could be causing more toxins to be in the air.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

StormCrow13

Original Poster
The vet didn’t give her activated charcoal but I am going back tomorrow for a follow up appointment and can ask then. The vet gave her fluids, vitamin injections, and some antibiotics.

She doesn’t move much unless I put her under the heat lamp and she will move around to get comfortable then move when she gets too hot. Last couple times she moved away from the heat lamp she managed to land upside down and she didn’t even try to flip herself onto her belly. Otherwise she only moves her arms to grab on to my hand if I pick her up. I have been giving her some vegetables slurry and she moves around some when I give her food. She doesn’t open her eyes more than a crack unless very often.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good that you figured out the probable cause and you got some slurry in her. It's possible that she may have eaten a sliver that was sticking out, so watch for signs of impaction. I'm not sure why the vet gave her vitamins and antibiotics rather than a bit of charcoal though. Are they a reptile vet ?

StormCrow13

Original Poster
They were, We weren’t sure what the cause was. I had just realized that the bark may have been poisoning her but hadn’t gotten confirmation that it was cedar yet so the vet just threw a bunch of treatments at her to see if something would help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing this evening?
I hope the slurries & fluids are helping her out. I agree, she could have eaten a small bit of
the loose wood which definitely wouldn't sit well in her, either!
Which antibiotic did the vet give? Watch her closely & make sure her beard doesn't become
dark which would indicate distress.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

StormCrow13

Original Poster
Still lethargic but was very active after the vet. I had to keep her from running off the table. I don't think she liked the activated charcoal very much.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is possible she didn't like the activated charcoal. It should help her out. Is she
opening her eyes more now?
I am glad to hear she was so active at the vets also. Does he want to see her again for
a follow up?
I hope she continues to improve for you. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

StormCrow13

Original Poster
She isn't opening her eyes much more than earlier.
The vet didn't ask for follow up.
it appears that she is slowly improving

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, well hopefully you will continue to see improvement in her. You can also give her some
parsley & cilantro to help detoxify her system. Diluted cranberry juice might be well tolerated
also for help with detoxification.

Let us know how things are going!
Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear she didn't make it. :cry: How utterly depressing. I was
hoping she would be able to get past this.
My condolences to you.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom