Left palm red and irritated from digging (laybox and pics inside)

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys I decided to leave my Amber laybox in her enclosure and she goes in and out but I noticed on her left arm basically her palm of her hand is red.

She has been in her digging phase off and on and has been in her box in and out maybe 15 times today. I'm hoping this is ok she has a vet appointment Friday should she be ok till then? Only thing I can think of is it's not deep enough for her so she is digging and hitting the plastic bin

Attachments

• IMG_20230510_170244.jpg
    IMG_20230510_170244.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20230510_170247.jpg
    IMG_20230510_170247.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20230509_170002.jpg
    IMG_20230509_170002.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20230510_122359.jpg
    IMG_20230510_122359.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 58

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey guys I decided to leave my Amber laybox in her enclosure and she goes in and out but I noticed on her left arm basically her palm of her hand is red.

She has been in her digging phase off and on and has been in her box in and out maybe 15 times today. I'm hoping this is ok she has a vet appointment Friday should she be ok till then? Only thing I can think of is it's not deep enough for her so she is digging and hitting the plastic bin
I would take the top off the container --- what is on her head? The digging substrate? Something is irritating the foot - what are you using for the digging substrate?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I would take the top off the container --- what is on her head? The digging substrate? Something is irritating the foot - what are you using for the digging substrate?
Using Jurassic Australian desert sand and reptisoil for substrate the sand is dry the soil is moist.

The container isn't as deep as I would prefer but it's all I got for now I was thinking she dug it all out then rubbed it on the plastic container

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Using Jurassic Australian desert sand and reptisoil for substrate the sand is dry the soil is moist.

The container isn't as deep as I would prefer but it's all I got for now I was thinking she dug it all out then rubbed it on the plastic container
Lets have AHBD give her input on this ---
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's far more important for her to lay her eggs if she needs to. You can get a deeper tote ASAP or let her dig some more. And don't take the lid off, that is what gives her the impression of safety, like she's in a cave.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It's far more important for her to lay her eggs if she needs to. You can get a deeper tote ASAP or let her dig some more. And don't take the lid off, that is what gives her the impression of safety, like she's in a cave.
So should I disregard the hand irritation and let her dig? I'm just worried she will get dirt and substrate into her cut/irritation and get infected. I got a deep deep container but she won't be able to get in/out on her own and I will definitely need more sand/soil.

The tote is 30" length and about 13" tall I was gonna order more sand/soil but I don't wanna spend anything till I see the vet just in case I need x-rays and all that

Attachments

• IMG_20230510_190251.jpg
    IMG_20230510_190251.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 58

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can just add children's play sand , it's very cheap at gardening centers and she could get in + out when you put enough in there. Then just have a basking log next to it for climbing in to it. Have you been home throughout her digging times so far ?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
You can just add children's play sand , it's very cheap at gardening centers and she could get in + out when you put enough in there. Then just have a basking log next to it for climbing in to it. Have you been home throughout her digging times so far ?
For the most part yes I don't go far if I intend on putting the smaller container in her enclosure and letting her dig. If I do leave for awhile I don't put the container in her enclosure I wait till I'm home and can keep a eye on her. With the smaller original container I stacked her decor and basking platform so she was able to go in and out freely and bask if she wanted too.

The only thing with the bigger deeper container I just got is that I am unable to put it in her enclosure it's way too big which is why the smaller container was in her enclosure

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's best to put her dig box back in, when they are steady hard digging they are usually ready to lay. I know it's stressful but she is on a roll now and you want her to have the opportunity so don't worry about her foot right now, it will be fine.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It's best to put her dig box back in, when they are steady hard digging they are usually ready to lay. I know it's stressful but she is on a roll now and you want her to have the opportunity so don't worry about her foot right now, it will be fine.
I'll have to do it in the morning then,I'll put the smaller box in and just check on her periodically. I'll sift through the sand/soil just in case it has any clumps in it and then let her do her thing in the morning.

I was thinking of putting a Tupperware container that has the bottom cut out then cover it with dirt so it seems like a premade tunnel/cave I'm just not sure if the lid will fit on.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
" I was thinking of putting a Tupperware container that has the bottom cut out then cover it with dirt so it seems like a premade tunnel/cave I'm just not sure if the lid will fit on."

Do you mean in the bigger laybox ? If so she might go for that.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
" I was thinking of putting a Tupperware container that has the bottom cut out then cover it with dirt so it seems like a premade tunnel/cave I'm just not sure if the lid will fit on."

Do you mean in the bigger laybox ? If so she might go for that.
I was gonna put it in the smaller laybox because I won't be able to fit the bigger laybox inside her enclosure.

I'm wondering if I can find a smaller Tupperware container to make the tunnel with. I mean if I'm home I can probably place her in the bigger laybox and just make sure she is ok I'll just need to monitor her since she won't have any heat source in the bigger box

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how those changes go. As ABD said, just trying to get her to lay them is really
the most important thing, instead of making it look perfect for her. LOL

Tracie

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hello,

Let us know how those changes go. As ABD said, just trying to get her to lay them is really
the most important thing, instead of making it look perfect for her. LOL

Tracie
She laid a few more not sure how many I am just looking for some advice on what I should and shouldn't do I posted a new thread in Beardie ER if you guys mind helping @AHBD @xp29

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom