Lead Me Not Into Temptation

Status
Not open for further replies.

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
There's a baby beardie at the pet store where I go to buy crickets every weekend that's been turning on the charm. Last week, she kept going to the side of the tank closest to me and looking at me, like she wanted to follow me as far as she could, and moving when I moved. This week, she went to the front of her tank and kept watching me again, this time with one front foot raised. How cute! There are a group of them in there, but I could recognize this one by its color/markings. She didn't come over to see the other people there, but did keep her eyes on me.

They say that it's good to have an animal pick you, but I'm already owned by a group of crested and leopard geckos. I'd guess the baby to be about 4 grams. It's tempting, but I have some concerns.

1. I've heard that baby beardies that are quite small often do not make it. I have never had a beardie, so my lack of knowledge combined with its small size could end up being fatal to it.
2. I'm frequently gone to work for 11-12 hours at a time, and have heard that tiny beardie babies need to be fed more often than that.
3. I do not have a tank set up and ready (a curable problem) and don't know what to feed such a tiny one.
4. How likely is it that a baby beardie from a pet store is healthy?

The little one is different shades of brown with red trim around the outer edge. How fragile are the tiny ones? Is this normal behavior with a bearded dragon, and maybe I just don't know it because I haven't been around them, or do I have some sort of sign on my head visible only to reptiles that says "pushover for small scaly critters?"

TJeno

Believe me, I had many of the exact same questions. I originally wanted Emperor Scorpions, but I saw a video on YouTube on beardies and started researching. They seemed so interesting and friendly, and a week of research led to me going and getting my beardie last night. Do your research - if you know what to do, they're pretty easy to take care of.

I finally splurged and got a full setup for a lizard at Petsmart, $200. This part of the year is always my busiest, as I have school AND work, but I've made it work so far. I wake up, feed my pet, get back from school, feed time, and right before bed it's once more feeding time. It'll be easier once he gets bigger, then I only have to feed him twice a day. But babies need their food. :lol:

As far as health goes, I've heard many different things from many different places. I got my lizard from Petsmart, so far, so good. I just hope he ends up being healthy. If you can get him/her for the right price, I'd definitely dive in and get him, and then study his behavior to see if he/she's healthy. If you have any suspicion, take it to a vet.

It's just my 2 cents, but I'd definitely go for it and buy him. He'll steal your heart just like mine did. The first cricket he eats out of your hand and there's no going back. :D

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Newbie03":5ubus5r9 said:
1. I've heard that baby beardies that are quite small often do not make it. I have never had a beardie, so my lack of knowledge combined with its small size could end up being fatal to it.
2. I'm frequently gone to work for 11-12 hours at a time, and have heard that tiny beardie babies need to be fed more often than that.
3. I do not have a tank set up and ready (a curable problem) and don't know what to feed such a tiny one.

Ok, beardies, (in my opinion) should be a min of 6inches long before they come home. As far as health, many babies sold in pet shops come from good breeders. (not all, so it never hurts to ask the source) and again size, in this case, matters. You have all the info you will ever need right here and a good set-up could be put together pretty quick. (as long as the temps were right before bring home baby) The main issue here is time. Babies should eat 2-3x's a day. However much they can eat in 15mins. A beardie is an interactive pet. The joy of having them is being with them. Cuddles, Baths, outside time, it's alot. I only work part time and am still thinking of ways to make the most out of every minute.
You get a big pat on the back for asking questions and weighing options. Hope I helped, good luck and keep us updated. :wink:

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
I got my beardie from PetSmart. He was on sale and was six inches long. I did months of research before I got him. Even still, I had to change some things. The beardie who has chosen you sounds to be in perfect health. Just make sure you have the time, money and space for this wonderful creature. Because in time, the beardie will be your best bud. Maybe even better than a dog. Hope this helps. And glad you found this site for research. :D

Newbie03":g50k497t said:
There's a baby beardie at the pet store where I go to buy crickets every weekend that's been turning on the charm. Last week, she kept going to the side of the tank closest to me and looking at me, like she wanted to follow me as far as she could, and moving when I moved. This week, she went to the front of her tank and kept watching me again, this time with one front foot raised. How cute! There are a group of them in there, but I could recognize this one by its color/markings. She didn't come over to see the other people there, but did keep her eyes on me.

They say that it's good to have an animal pick you, but I'm already owned by a group of crested and leopard geckos. I'd guess the baby to be about 4 grams. It's tempting, but I have some concerns.

The little one is different shades of brown with red trim around the outer edge. How fragile are the tiny ones? Is this normal behavior with a bearded dragon, and maybe I just don't know it because I haven't been around them, or do I have some sort of sign on my head visible only to reptiles that says "pushover for small scaly critters?"

Setup first, Get your enclosure a basking branch or rock, make sure lighting is correct and heat is ample then get yourself a Beardie. From what your schedule sounds like a young adult might be better for you, they are a lot hardier and easier then babies. Just my opinion. Good luck in whatever you decide.

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
This bearded dragon is about 3-4 inches long, and not the 6 inches that you recommend. Their baby beardies are pretty small. That's why I'm concerned it might be fragile.

I leave for work at noon and usually come home around midnight. If I were to feed at around 8:00 in the morning and at 11:30 just before leaving, then again around 11:30 at night, would those feedings be too far apart for a 3-4 inch beardie?

I have loads of meal worms that I raise for the leopard geckos. Would a beardie enjoy those?

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Newbie03":2vbmef93 said:
This bearded dragon is about 3-4 inches long, and not the 6 inches that you recommend. Their baby beardies are pretty small. That's why I'm concerned it might be fragile.

I leave for work at noon and usually come home around midnight. If I were to feed at around 8:00 in the morning and at 11:30 just before leaving, then again around 11:30 at night, would those feedings be too far apart for a 3-4 inch beardie?

I have loads of meal worms that I raise for the leopard geckos. Would a beardie enjoy those?

The idea is to let a BD have a min of 2hrs of light to digest food. (A min of 95 degrees or food may rot in the system)
(Bd's need 12hrs of light total in a day, though some people choose 14hrs. (I choose 12hrs as it works the best for Myah)
No mealworms! Please! They are a very risky food as they can cause impaction :shock:
TheWerewolf":2vbmef93 said:
Wow, that is small. They would be very fragile. I can't help you on feeding schedule but don't give it mealworms. They have a hard shell that will impact a beardie that young. Here is a food chart to help on what greens are good. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Great link werewolf :D

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
From what I'm hearing here, my getting this one at this time would not be a good idea. It would be too long between feedings, and I need to learn more about taking care of one and get the setup together first. What I think I'll do is wait and see if she sells before she reaches something closer to 6 inches, and if not, she'll come home with me. :) If she does sell, I'll just wish her the best in her new home and know that someone else's schedule will permit them to do a better job of meeting her needs than I could.

Thanks for the link and information. How long does it take for a beardie to get to about 6 inches in length?

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Newbie03":334iphx9 said:
Thanks for the link and information. How long does it take for a beardie to get to about 6 inches in length?
Depends on the care, but not long.
Newbie03":334iphx9 said:
From what I'm hearing here, my getting this one at this time would not be a good idea. It would be too long between feedings, and I need to learn more about taking care of one and get the setup together first. What I think I'll do is wait and see if she sells before she reaches something closer to 6 inches, and if not, she'll come home with me. If she does sell, I'll just wish her the best in her new home and know that someone else's schedule will permit them to do a better job of meeting her needs than I could.
Research is never a bad idea, what ever you choose, I wish you good luck :D

Esther19

BD.org Addict
You can leave reptiworms and greens in dishes so that the little one could eat at will throughout the day.

littleassassin2

Hatchling Member
Esther19":1at6krpf said:
You can leave reptiworms and greens in dishes so that the little one could eat at will throughout the day.

This is what i do since work is still working us,or at least just me, like a communist sweat shop in china. I just put collard greens in his dish and let the crickets run rampant in there until he goes to bed after i get home and just take them out.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
littleassassin2":2rahjw90 said:
Esther19":2rahjw90 said:

This is what i do since work is still working us,or at least just me, like a communist sweat shop in china. I just put collard greens in his dish and let the crickets run rampant in there until he goes to bed after i get home and just take them out.

I don't use crickets, but from what I've read here it's not a good idea to leave crickets in your beardie's tank past feeding time (10-15 minute supervised increments) as the crickets will bite your dragon. There's a thread here >>> viewtopic.php?f=45&t=174100&p=1401653&hilit=hole+crickets+bite#p1401653 from a member whose dragon literally got a big hole chewed through its skin. Other feeders like dubia roaches, silk worms, butterworms, and reptiworms/phoenix worms can be left in the tank as far as I know. Hornworms and super worms can also bite.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
You can leave dubia roaches in a glass bowl that's at least 2 inches deep, they can't climb the glass and get out.. This way the little one could eat at it's will and the roaches wouldn't be running rampant all over the cage for 12 hours!

-Kaleen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom