lazy beardie or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
hi!
I post on here all the time, but normally my issues are with my female bearded dragon. Now i have a small concern with my male beardie. Osiris is about 2 and a half now, a very healthy dragon according to our vet besides the fact he is kind of small. (Only about 16inches)

Lately he seems to be lazy, or lethargic. I'm not sure. He's never been a big hunter so he generally gets his bugs hand fed to him or his super worms go in a bowl and he eats them from there. He gets lots of exercise when I take him out of his tank and has good muscle on him. He eats salads every day, mainly collard greens. Sometimes he gets dandelion greens. On occasion I'll get kale or swiss chard as well. He loves blue berries and raspberries. He prefers his greens to bugs, and he always has.

Anyways. The past little while he doesn't seem to come out of his sleeping spot during the day. He lays there with his head up, very alert but doesn't want to move. I usually put him into his basking spot and he will become more active but come bedtime he goes back to his spot and will stay there until the next day when I move him. He has no issues walking as he runs all over the couch when he's out of his tank. His coloring all seems normal- no unusual black bearding. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?

Possible reason, I recently adopted a parrot. I know bird and lizards are enemies and Osiris made it very clear he did not like the bird when it first came home. They are not in the same room and cannot see each other at all. But the bird has been here for almost 3 months now and this just started happening with Osiris. (When the bird first came home he was constantly black bearding, wouldn't come out of his tank and he refused to eat for a day or two and then went back to normal)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It may just be a mood if he's active outside of the tank and doesn't show any other signs of sickness. I'd keep an eye on his weight to make sure that doesn't drop off. Maybe give him some outside time. Otherwise I'd just let him do his thing for a while.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for the advice, i read it and never got a chance to post back until now.

I decided to buy another UVB bulb thinking maybe it was that (even though I just replaced it beginning of july) and he seems to have perked right up. Maybe it was just a dud, or coincidental timing?

Anyways, he's back to normal. Had a splash party yesterday during bath time.

Stolzieren

Hatchling Member
glad to see he's back to his usual self! my beardie does sometimes laze around but she's still very alert and gets active when I take her out so I figure it's just a lil mood type thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom