Large adult dragon hide and set up (need help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,
So on Sunday I am adopting an adult male beardie, he’s pretty big, measured about 20-19in and I’m almost done setting his tank up but I would like to add another hide since his tank right now really only has one hide he can fit in, I attached 2 photos of his enclosure, (it’s 4x2x18 and yes Ik it should be a 4x2x2 but they sold the only zen habitat in my local vivarium and this melamine one with sliding doors was the closest resembling and largest one available) I’m really not sure what I’m doing or if I’m setting his stuff up ok but I do know that I want to do my best to make my new big boy a happy dragon so if anyone could help me make this better or suggest a hide that is large enough for him to be entirely covered that would be super awesome and I’ll pay you with a crisp virtual high-five. (Ps he doesn’t fit under his basking platform)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 229
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 144

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
you're going to want to get rid of that red bulb. they cause eye problems. replace it with something like this https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...abf16&pd_rd_wg=RHW9b&pd_rd_i=B01BJF37NQ&psc=1 they come in a higher or lower wattage, and you might need a higher one for your tank size, but that is the brand/style.

I too would like to find a bigger hide for my guy. even the large ones people suggest from petsmart are too small. hopefully someone will suggest a good source for you and i can check it out too

rocko_the_beardie_bangs

Original Poster
i could’ve sworn I had read that somewhere but when I went to the place I got my tank, the dude insisted I got a red light instead so it could be on at night when I was just going to get a ceramic heat emitter and white bulb, thank you for confirming my thoughts and I guess I’ll swing by the same place to grab what I was planning on getting in the beginning lol

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
#1 lesson I learned in a hurry was ignore the people selling you things! I rescued my guy when he was just a tiny thing, but the person that bought him got everything she was told to buy. None of it wound up being usable. They do not like heat at night unless it gets below about 65° and they like it dark. What UVB did they have you get? (I see that as a bad suggestion a lot on here too.) KerrieRee should be on at some point and she'll go over the lighting, and your whole set up really, in much more detail with you.

rocko_the_beardie_bangs

Original Poster
Thanks, he wanted me to buy a 40 gal tank so I guess it’s sort of my bad for not listening to that huge red flag but thank you again, I ordered the same bulb you linked but 100w like the red one was and I did my own research before going to the shop for UBV so I got a “reptison t8 ho” I figured 2 feet mounted kind of in the left center would be good, an employee mounted it for me.

Last edited:

Fudge

Hi, I also struggled to find a hide big enough for fudge, so decided on this set-up it's a small animal wood ladder (large) which is bendable leaning on a bit of wood, seems to be a success as he went to sleep in it in November and finally woke up today so Fudge gives it a high 5 for slumbering.

Attachments

• IMG_20220112_125509.jpg
    IMG_20220112_125509.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 122
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom