Keeping dubia from getting moldy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rango101

Hello- So I don't keep a dubia colony or anything, I just have a bin with egg cartons I keep them in when I order a few hundred at a time. I feed them left over salad greens since my beardie is not the best about eating salad. They get moldy in like two days, I keep having to clean the box out. Any ideas on how I can keep the greens/cartons from getting so damp and moldy so fast?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
we exchange the salads every day. and then once a week we transfer everyone to a new bin and clean the old bin. we use two 30 gallon totes.

NYBeardie

The only way to prevent moisture buildup is to keep the container very well ventilated. You can either poke a LOT of holes in the top or, if you feel like making a project for yourself, you could cut a large hole in the top of the container and hot glue a screen in place to provide adequate airflow. I did this with a metal screen to ensure the roaches didn't eat through the fiberglass ones (not sure if they can or not). I bought 2 containers, altered the top on one, and then I had a backup container to use when I needed to clean one. Entire project was under $20 and it's been working really well for me for many months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiamYe
Top Bottom