Keeping ants away from the cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Brandonforty2":3nniz112 said:
You can probably put some ant killer NEXT to the tank to catch some of the ants. Are you in the middle of a drought?

Ant killer has a really strong smell and Dude is kept in a small room, so it isn't well-ventilated. I want to try to stay away from chemicals if I can. It's raining here, so the ants come inside for shelter. i'm sure they like the warmth of his cage as well.

Mohg

I realize that this post is a bit old, but if you're having issues with ants in the water bowl, try a barrier of cinnamon around the enclosure...either whole sticks or powdered...doesn't matter. I use this method to keep ants out of my cat's food bowl and it has been extremely effective. I can't speak to the toxicity of cinnamon on bearded dragons, but on the outside of the enclosure, it really shouldn't be an issue.

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Mohg":3shi5ox0 said:
I realize that this post is a bit old, but if you're having issues with ants in the water bowl, try a barrier of cinnamon around the enclosure...either whole sticks or powdered...doesn't matter. I use this method to keep ants out of my cat's food bowl and it has been extremely effective. I can't speak to the toxicity of cinnamon on bearded dragons, but on the outside of the enclosure, it really shouldn't be an issue.

I'll have to try that, thank you! Still having an ant problem.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
I always had success using Vaseline along the base of my cages. I keep tarantulas and had a problem with ants getting into their cages - can't use any of the traditional ant killer there! Vaseline along the base of the cages (a layer about 1" wide and kind of thick) keeps them from getting in. Works for all my critters.

I also use Provent a Mite in my lizard cages to keep bugs from living in the bedding - it's sold as a mite spray for snakes, but I found when I had a REALLY bad ant problem in my wooden cages that heavily spraying them with Provent a mite once a year keeps them out. Make sure you spray it with the bedding in it, if you use bedding, and let it air out really well afterwards.

Hope that helps!

-Jen

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
Original Poster
LLLReptile":2jw5ksrq said:
I always had success using Vaseline along the base of my cages. I keep tarantulas and had a problem with ants getting into their cages - can't use any of the traditional ant killer there! Vaseline along the base of the cages (a layer about 1" wide and kind of thick) keeps them from getting in. Works for all my critters.

I also use Provent a Mite in my lizard cages to keep bugs from living in the bedding - it's sold as a mite spray for snakes, but I found when I had a REALLY bad ant problem in my wooden cages that heavily spraying them with Provent a mite once a year keeps them out. Make sure you spray it with the bedding in it, if you use bedding, and let it air out really well afterwards.

Hope that helps!

-Jen

thanks! I'll try the vaseline. So far i think cinnamon has been keeping ants out, but i'll use vaseline as well for extra protection against those pests.

BlazeDarkling

I put double sided tape on the outside of my tank to keep ants out not sure why it works but it dose for me. I like it because its completely safe and is cheap the tapes on the outside so the dragon cant get to it!

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
Original Poster
BlazeDarkling":31iwomt6 said:
I put double sided tape on the outside of my tank to keep ants out not sure why it works but it dose for me. I like it because its completely safe and is cheap the tapes on the outside so the dragon cant get to it!

thank you, i'll have to try that too! So far there are no ants in the cage. I think the cinnamon is working. I taped cinnamon sticks around the outside of his cage. It looks like christmas decorations. Someone saw his cage and said "I like how you put cinnamon sticks on the cage!" they were confused when I told them it was for ants haha. It goes along with his snowflakes, santa bear, and snow globe :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom