Kale

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I have two questions.

One, Toothless is about two months, maybe 2 1/2 months and about 7ish inches, including tail. (Based on size) and he's got a pretty healthy appetite of crickets, roaches and kale. He loves his kale. I'll hand feed him several pieces and throughout the day, he'll go and eat on his own. All in all, he'll eat a good chunk. But he hasn't eaten a lot of Kale today, maybe a couple pieces. He's eating his roaches and crickets no problem but has been a bit more skittish today. He's been jumpy a bit more, usually when i reach into his tank, hes chill, but today, he'll jump a bit, like it startled him. Even thoigh ill talk to him first and make sure he looks up at me before i open the lid and continue talking to him as i reach down into his tank. Not as active as he usually is, though. He usually spends a lot of time skirting around but today, he's either been basking, or pacing with his nose pressed against the front glass. Is it normal.?

Two, I think part of it is because he is so young in a 40 gallon tank, but whenever I put insects in front of him, whether it be right in his face or a little bit away, it takes a minute or two for him to see them and if I drop them, nine times out of ten, he will just watch them crawl away. Sometimes he'll go after them, but not often. Is he spoiled on being fed with tweezers.? Is there maybe something wrong with his sight.? Or is he just being a pain.?

Edit to add: also, he is a psycho for calcium powder. When I dust his crickets, he'll go around lapping up calcium powder particles in the carpet and everywhere else. It's like he's addicted, that doesn't mean he has a deficiency, does it.?

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They will 500% become spoiled to hand feeding. It can be a hard habit to break them of to.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I agree with @xp29 on both points. I too handfeed Rocky and I enjoy it. If I am not near him and he's hungry enough (towards the end of the day)- the remainder of his greens will be gone. Rocky will not feed himself otherwise! I mean, 1 piece of green could fall and Rocky wont even go after it. It's ridiculous. But I really don't mind. It's our time in the am and I know that he eats his greens (and not waste my money).

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It's fun also when your dragon is food motivated. I have one that LOVES food, she knows hands often equal food, so if im in the room moving my hand around I'll look over and she is locked on like a bird dog tracking my hands all ove the place, it's kibdda endearing.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I agree with @xp29 on both points. I too handfeed Rocky and I enjoy it. If I am not near him and he's hungry enough (towards the end of the day)- the remainder of his greens will be gone. Rocky will not feed himself otherwise! I mean, 1 piece of green could fall and Rocky wont even go after it. It's ridiculous. But I really don't mind. It's our time in the am and I know that he eats his greens (and not waste my money).
So, it's...normal that he doesn't show much interest in physically going after them, because I hand feed.? What about the addiction to calcium powder.? I mean, if it's fallen into the carpet, he'll ignore an actual bug for pecking at the carpet. Also, sometimes, he'll go for the bug, but... miss.? Like, he'll tag it, but not get it and then just watch it escape. Even when I'm holding it. Or he'll act like he just does not see it at all

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Yup that sounds about right lol.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom