Juvenile diet

Tjarman

Beardie name(s)
Dexter
What should I be feeding my juvenile bearded dragon daily? What should I be feeding him in the mornings ? What should I feed him at night?
I want to know if there is any adjustments I need to make to make sure that I’m giving him the proper nutrition and diet he needs. Every morning my sister will feed him about 6 crickets and the crickets do have the calcium powder without the d3 and the reptile vitamins with d3. I will also leave a bowl for him with kale in it with the same powders if it’s not on the crickets because it came off. and I’ve been giving him a little more fruits to try like bananas and blueberries because before when he was younger he didn’t want to eat anything but his strawberries fruit wise. and sometimes meal worms recently I haven’t given him any meal worms. There is also a smaller bowl in his cage with bearded dragon pellets if he’s hungry he can eat those. so I need help with having a set diet for him that he needs everyday so advice anyone wants to or feedback anyone has a set diet for your juvenile bearded dragon feel free to let me know. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What should I be feeding my juvenile bearded dragon daily? What should I be feeding him in the mornings ? What should I feed him at night?
I want to know if there is any adjustments I need to make to make sure that I’m giving him the proper nutrition and diet he needs. Every morning my sister will feed him about 6 crickets and the crickets do have the calcium powder without the d3 and the reptile vitamins with d3. I will also leave a bowl for him with kale in it with the same powders if it’s not on the crickets because it came off. and I’ve been giving him a little more fruits to try like bananas and blueberries because before when he was younger he didn’t want to eat anything but his strawberries fruit wise. and sometimes meal worms recently I haven’t given him any meal worms. There is also a smaller bowl in his cage with bearded dragon pellets if he’s hungry he can eat those. so I need help with having a set diet for him that he needs everyday so advice anyone wants to or feedback anyone has a set diet for your juvenile bearded dragon feel free to let me know. :)
If your dragon is under one year he needs the protein as many cricket as he will eat in a 10-15 minute time span - I would be offering fresh salads Nutrition Content every day - ignore the kale info its outdated -- I would offer super worms as treats 1-3 every few days along w/ some horn worms - please dust the crickets 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 lightly coated ONCE per feeding - he should be offered crickets 2 times per day if hes under a yr old - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated - his diet will change when he turns a yr old along w/ the calcium --- you can get insects and worms on line they are cheaper- I would look at changing the staple insect to dubias they are a better feeder -- what kind of UVB are you using? coil or a long tube fixture?

Tjarman

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dexter
If your dragon is under one year he needs the protein as many cricket as he will eat in a 10-15 minute time span - I would be offering fresh salads Nutrition Content every day - ignore the kale info its outdated -- I would offer super worms as treats 1-3 every few days along w/ some horn worms - please dust the crickets 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 lightly coated ONCE per feeding - he should be offered crickets 2 times per day if hes under a yr old - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated - his diet will change when he turns a yr old along w/ the calcium --- you can get insects and worms on line they are cheaper- I would look at changing the staple insect to dubias they are a better feeder -- what kind of UVB are you using? coil or a long tube fixture?
I am upgrading his UVB light to the Arcadia reptile proT5 and yes his under a year he is around I’d say 9 to 10 months that we think he is. We got him when he was pretty little and at that time I think he was like 2 or 3 months old.

Tjarman

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dexter
What salad greens should I offer him because I have heard kale is good for them kale is not so I am confused by that. and thank you so much for this information! :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What salad greens should I offer him because I have heard kale is good for them kale is not so I am confused by that. and thank you so much for this information! :)
Look at the website I posted for you and kale is a great staple- I would stop the pellets- not very nutritional and can cause dehydration -

Tjarman

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dexter
image.jpg

I use these should I switch to the calcium with d3 and get the vitamins without d3. Because I’m not exactly sure what beta carotene is ? If there a link where I can buy that could you send that to me. I’m a first time bearded dragon owner and care about making sure he’s getting taken care of properly.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
View attachment 78613
I use these should I switch to the calcium with d3 and get the vitamins without d3. Because I’m not exactly sure what beta carotene is ? If there a link where I can buy that could you send that to me. I’m a first time bearded dragon owner and care about making sure he’s getting taken care of properly.
Please get the calcium w/ d 3-- the reptivite should say on the back w/ beta carotene look for that on the ingredients -- is your dragon under a year?

I am upgrading his UVB light to the Arcadia reptile proT5 and yes his under a year he is around I’d say 9 to 10 months that we think he is. We got him when he was pretty little and at that time I think he was like 2 or 3 months old.
Hi KarrieRee do you have any suggestions to vegetables or fruits. I am trying to figure out what vegetables to give my juvenile beardie daily. I live i Massachusetts so it is difficult to find certain vegetables.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi KarrieRee do you have any suggestions to vegetables or fruits. I am trying to figure out what vegetables to give my juvenile beardie daily. I live i Massachusetts so it is difficult to find certain vegetables.
Heres a website for nutrition ignore the kale info it is outdated and a great staple feeder - you can also order prickly pear pads off of Amazon - that is another great staple feeder -
Nutrition Content

Heres a website for nutrition ignore the kale info it is outdated and a great staple feeder - you can also order prickly pear pads off of Amazon - that is another great staple feeder -
Nutrition Content
Hello I gave my beardie callard greens for the first time today and he seems slugish. He seems like he overate. He’s like he’s tired. Do you think he over ate is that a normal thing? I got a little concerned.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hello I gave my beardie callard greens for the first time today and he seems slugish. He seems like he overate. He’s like he’s tired. Do you think he over ate is that a normal thing? I got a little concerned.
Could be he has an upset tummy- skip his salad tomorrow and see what he does- if it's continuing then we can see what Tracie advises

I’m back last night after I gave him the collard greens he seem to have eaten way too much his belly was really full. He became very tired and sluggis but still walking around. This morning I woke up and he was sleeping on his heated rock but his belly does not feel as full as it was last night. What could be wrong?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’m back last night after I gave him the collard greens he seem to have eaten way too much his belly was really full. He became very tired and sluggis but still walking around. This morning I woke up and he was sleeping on his heated rock but his belly does not feel as full as it was last night. What could be wrong?
Is that heated rock on and giving off heat? If so please get rid of it - they can cause burns as dragons heat w/ their backs on stomachs- please post a pic of him and his tank - what kind of substrate are you using? I have never heard of collard greens upsetting dragons stomachs - has he taken a good poop?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, I agree with KarrieRee, heat rocks are very dangerous. They have very poor heat receptors in their bellies and by the time they realize it's too hot, they can be burned very badly. Please either cut the cord or keep it unplugged. They sense heat from overhead only. Dandelion, mustard & turnip greens are great staples as well as escarole, endive, arugula. Variety is always key. :)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom