Juvenile beardie diagnosed with gout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
My beardie Bindi, who is approximately 3-4 months (vet says he is 9m old but he is only 11 inches long??) old was diagnosed with gout. It noticed something was wrong almost a month ago when Bindi was limping and not using his left arm, and it was very swollen. After going to the vet and doing an x-ray they said he had an epiphyseal fracture due to low bone density, and gave us something for pain and calcium to be syringe-fed. After a few weeks we noticed that the arm was getting even more swollen and Bindi was acting a little weird, so we took him back to the vet. They did a blood test and took a fecal test and swabbed his mouth. We just got a call today with the results that he has gout and a bad kidney. I dont have the exact numbers yet. They are prescribing Allopurinol and they want to retest his blood in a month. What should we do from here?

Bindi's husbandry:
40 gallon tank (we will be getting a bigger tank soon)
Basking spot: between 90-100 F
UVB: Arcadia T5 12%
Substrate: paper towels
Bugs: Dubias roaches (as many as he can eat until he acts uninterested). Occasional mealworms. Dusted with calcium once a day
Veggies & fruit: Kale, cilantro, butternut squash, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries. He usually only takes a couple bites

So I guess my questions are:
1. Should we cut out dubias and go back to crickets? I know that dubias have a high uric acid level.
2. Anything else I can do to help Bindi?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone,
My beardie Bindi, who is approximately 3-4 months (vet says he is 9m old but he is only 11 inches long??) old was diagnosed with gout. It noticed something was wrong almost a month ago when Bindi was limping and not using his left arm, and it was very swollen. After going to the vet and doing an x-ray they said he had an epiphyseal fracture due to low bone density, and gave us something for pain and calcium to be syringe-fed. After a few weeks we noticed that the arm was getting even more swollen and Bindi was acting a little weird, so we took him back to the vet. They did a blood test and took a fecal test and swabbed his mouth. We just got a call today with the results that he has gout and a bad kidney. I dont have the exact numbers yet. They are prescribing Allopurinol and they want to retest his blood in a month. What should we do from here?

Bindi's husbandry:
40 gallon tank (we will be getting a bigger tank soon)
Basking spot: between 90-100 F
UVB: Arcadia T5 12%
Substrate: paper towels
Bugs: Dubias roaches (as many as he can eat until he acts uninterested). Occasional mealworms. Dusted with calcium once a day
Veggies & fruit: Kale, cilantro, butternut squash, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries. He usually only takes a couple bites

So I guess my questions are:
1. Should we cut out dubias and go back to crickets? I know that dubias have a high uric acid level.
2. Anything else I can do to help Bindi?
Yes find a different staple -- BSFL crickets or silk worms -- make sure the UVB is correctly placed and distanced --- for a fine mesh screen like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- if its a wide hole type screen it needs to be 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor --- you can also syringe feed black tart cherry juice try w/ 1 ML see if he will drink it -- just make sure you are feeding slowly so he does not aspirate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom