Juvenile Beardie Ate Unknown Plant

BeardedDrago

I have a 8 month old bearded dragon that i was holding in my lap, and he jumped further than I thought he could over to the windowsill and bit off the tip of a cactus. I tried to pull it out of his mouth but he still a good amount of it. I am aware this is 100% my fault and I’ll be much more careful in the future. I have no idea what species the plant is or if it’s deadly or not, since it was a gift and doesnt have a label. If anyone can give me advice and identify it that would be helpful! He’s acting normal right now but this happened 5 minutes ago.

Attachments

• 4826A0F9-CF75-4C67-ACCF-0857402BDC92.jpeg
    4826A0F9-CF75-4C67-ACCF-0857402BDC92.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 104

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Most cacti are edible but im not sure what variety that one is. It looks to have a lable on the pot goolge any info on the label and try to find the variety. Or use a plant identifying app. Once you know what it is you can research toxicity. Personlly i think the thorns are probably more an issue than the plant. But im no expert so please try to identify it

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Also maybe post a pic of the entire label

BeardedDrago

Original Poster
Also maybe post a pic of the entire label
Most cacti are edible but im not sure what variety that one is. It looks to have a lable on the pot goolge any info on the label and try to find the variety. Or use a plant identifying app. Once you know what it is you can research toxicity. Personlly i think the thorns are probably more an issue than the plant. But im no expert so please try to identify it
I tried posting a picture of the label but it didnt work, ill upload it again
I also googled theblabel but i didnt find anything since it doesnt have the actual plant name and my plant identifying app wasn’t helpful
What do you think i should do about the thorns? Its worth mentioning that they feel soft and aren’t too prickly but they could still cause issues and i dont know what to do
Thanks for responding!
33993ABE-F721-4073-8F20-9BD9B31B536B.jpeg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I did some research last night, i couldn't find that cactus. As fas as the thorns those look like the little fuzzy one. They irritate if you get into them. I would keep an eye on your dragon if it looks like it has discomfort i would seek a vet. I live in the desert and get into them sometimes. The only way i have founf to get them out is a good piece of tape or scrapping with an edged tool (aka my pocket knife lol)
But i can't imagine how to do that for your dragon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom