Juvenile Beardie Ate Unknown Plant

BeardedDrago

I have a 8 month old bearded dragon that i was holding in my lap, and he jumped further than I thought he could over to the windowsill and bit off the tip of a cactus. I tried to pull it out of his mouth but he still a good amount of it. I am aware this is 100% my fault and I’ll be much more careful in the future. I have no idea what species the plant is or if it’s deadly or not, since it was a gift and doesnt have a label. If anyone can give me advice and identify it that would be helpful! He’s acting normal right now but this happened 5 minutes ago.

Attachments

• 4826A0F9-CF75-4C67-ACCF-0857402BDC92.jpeg
    4826A0F9-CF75-4C67-ACCF-0857402BDC92.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 57

xp29

Gray-bearded Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Most cacti are edible but im not sure what variety that one is. It looks to have a lable on the pot goolge any info on the label and try to find the variety. Or use a plant identifying app. Once you know what it is you can research toxicity. Personlly i think the thorns are probably more an issue than the plant. But im no expert so please try to identify it

xp29

Gray-bearded Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Also maybe post a pic of the entire label

BeardedDrago

Original Poster
Also maybe post a pic of the entire label
Most cacti are edible but im not sure what variety that one is. It looks to have a lable on the pot goolge any info on the label and try to find the variety. Or use a plant identifying app. Once you know what it is you can research toxicity. Personlly i think the thorns are probably more an issue than the plant. But im no expert so please try to identify it
I tried posting a picture of the label but it didnt work, ill upload it again
I also googled theblabel but i didnt find anything since it doesnt have the actual plant name and my plant identifying app wasn’t helpful
What do you think i should do about the thorns? Its worth mentioning that they feel soft and aren’t too prickly but they could still cause issues and i dont know what to do
Thanks for responding!
33993ABE-F721-4073-8F20-9BD9B31B536B.jpeg

xp29

Gray-bearded Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I did some research last night, i couldn't find that cactus. As fas as the thorns those look like the little fuzzy one. They irritate if you get into them. I would keep an eye on your dragon if it looks like it has discomfort i would seek a vet. I live in the desert and get into them sometimes. The only way i have founf to get them out is a good piece of tape or scrapping with an edged tool (aka my pocket knife lol)
But i can't imagine how to do that for your dragon

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

lol i feel like i ask so many questions on this site but i just love it here!
so many questions & not enough days
I'm painting Devlyn's house while she brumates. You can message me to hold me accountable because I procrastinate >_<

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddiebeardie
Top Bottom