Juvenile Bearded Dragon Eating, but Not Basking

Status
Not open for further replies.
My baby girl here Silver is eating just fine and loves her dubia roaches coated in Calcium with vitaminD3 everyday. She eats about 5 of them, and saves the rest in her bowl for later. But recently (about 2 weeks ago) she started refusing to bask. Which pushed me to install another heating/uvb source in her enclosure closer to where she's been hiding. I'm really not sure what is going on, can't find information what could be causing this behavior. I know it's not relocation stress as I've had her for about 2 months now and completely use to her enclosure and enjoys exploring her enclosure.

Some facts about her enclosure:
1) While I do use sand, she does not lick or eat the sand nor do I feed her on the sand directly and have plate and bowl when feeding, she's also pooping just fine either every day or every other day.
2) The dual deep dome contains a 100watt heat bulb and a 10.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent bulb. Which she use to love and bask everyday in that spot. I also do replace the bulb every 6 months.
3) As of recently due to her lack of basking had to install another deep dome with a Powersun 100watt bulb closer to where she's been hanging out. Still avoiding it though.
4) Humidity level is 20% or lower under the basking spots.

I am getting concerned about her now. I got her a couple weeks after losing my other beardy due to fatty liver disease. It would kill me to lose another beardy, this time at such a young age.

Here's a short video of her enclosure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UkWHgGGWS8

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She looks very alert and healthy in the video, so that's a good sign. Sometimes they just don't want to bask and that is OK as long as they have easy access to both warm areas and cool areas. You might want to try just using the PowerSun and retire the compact UVB light. The 100w Powersun should sit about 12'' (maybe more like 10'') above the basking area for proper UVB output. You'll want to measure the surface temps around the enclosure though. Shoot for around 100-105 surface temps under the basking light. Then areas around that in the 90s and the cool side should be around 75-80ish during the day. Given those options she will move around and get what she needs at a given time.

BadassDolphin

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1pahpriw said:
She looks very alert and healthy in the video, so that's a good sign. Sometimes they just don't want to bask and that is OK as long as they have easy access to both warm areas and cool areas. You might want to try just using the PowerSun and retire the compact UVB light. The 100w Powersun should sit about 12'' (maybe more like 10'') above the basking area for proper UVB output. You'll want to measure the surface temps around the enclosure though. Shoot for around 100-105 surface temps under the basking light. Then areas around that in the 90s and the cool side should be around 75-80ish during the day. Given those options she will move around and get what she needs at a given time.

Thanks, looks like you were right couple days later she started basking again. Just isn't like her to stop basking for a couple days, which is why I got a little worried. As for the compact UVB bulb, I've honestly have had no problems with for 8 years. They produce a lot of UVB. As for the temperatures the basking spot fluctuates between 95 - 100, and the cool area also fluctuates between mid 70s and 80s. She still looks healthy to my eyes so thats good.

As for the powersun bulb however I have always had problems with them dying within a month or so, and they are not cheap. So I prefer the dual dome setup I know it's not recommended for a lot of people but me personally I've never had any issues nor health problems with my beardies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom