Juvenile, 6-8 months old not eating, sleeping all day.

Amilly

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rango
Not long --- how did you get the tank set up can you post a pic of it please-- as long as those surface basking temps are good and hes got his UVB properly placed and distanced he should start eating again right away --- what are you feeding him? I can help w/ insects and salads etc as well -- did you say hes 8 months old approx? Please post a good pic of him
image.jpg
image.jpg

Amilly

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rango
His diet is mostly crickets when he does eat. His veggie right now are spinach and a dandelion salad, he occasionally take mealworms.
I just tried giving some crickets and still does not seem interested in food, just looked at it then closed eyes again

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok what is the distance from the UVB to the rock underneath? It needs to be 8-10 inches -- please show me your screen -- take a pic of it from above so I can see the holes -- I want to make sure your screen is a wider hole type -- other wise I am gonna have you pull the screen place the UVB on the end of the tank going width wise place it where your basking bulb is sitting then take the screen place it 3/4 on w/ the basking bulb sitting next to the UVB fixture -- you need him to be able to get underneath the UVB w/ the screen on 8-10 inches -- w/ out the screen 12-15 inches -- please get the digital probe thermometers as soon as you can your getting inaccurate surface basking temps -- and he is really little for a 6-8 month old dragon he looks like hes around 5 months old or 4

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I just tried giving some crickets and still does not seem interested in food, just looked at it then closed eyes again
Ok I am gonna help w/ the diet but right now I have an appt when I get back I will post some websites for you for insects worms and salads --- please no more meal worms --- hes too young and too much risk for impaction

Amilly

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rango
Ok what is the distance from the UVB to the rock underneath? It needs to be 8-10 inches -- please show me your screen -- take a pic of it from above so I can see the holes -- I want to make sure your screen is a wider hole type -- other wise I am gonna have you pull the screen place the UVB on the end of the tank going width wise place it where your basking bulb is sitting then take the screen place it 3/4 on w/ the basking bulb sitting next to the UVB fixture -- you need him to be able to get underneath the UVB w/ the screen on 8-10 inches -- w/ out the screen 12-15 inches -- please get the digital probe thermometers as soon as you can your getting inaccurate surface basking temps -- and he is really little for a 6-8 month old dragon he looks like hes around 5 months old or 4
image.jpg

Amilly

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rango
When I got him I was told he was 4-6 months old and I’ve had for two month so he is 6-8 I’d say. Probably 6 judging by what you’re saying about his size

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When I got him I was told he was 4-6 months old and I’ve had for two month so he is 6-8 I’d say. Probably 6 judging by what you’re saying about his size
Ok I am gonna have someone else look at him but he looks a lot younger than 6 months old-- as far the UVB it looks good I would pull it toward the front a little more so its more directly over him -- please get a measurement of the distance -- your screen looks fine-- you need those probe thermometers -- we are not getting an accurate surface basking temp -- we need that -- depending on the age he is 4 months or so 105-110 if he is actually older like 6 months it would be 95-100-- have you ever seen him gape?
Here is a nutrition website ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder Nutrition Content
Please get him some BSFL or nutri grubs and some dubia roaches also some medium super worms and some small horn worms -- low count on those they grow really fast -- feed the nutri grubs do not dust them on his salads every morning as many as you want they are a good baby staple feeder - drop them on his salads in front of him it will lure him to the bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
then after about a hour or so drop the roaches in the bowl make sure you get the size on the chart shown on the website - get them no bigger than the space between his eyes -- he will eat less roaches they are more filling - get yourself a 10 gallon aquarium feed the roaches dubia chow / food and dubia dew for hydration you can also feed them fruit squash sweet potato raw shred it -- they arent hot on greens like kale collards etc -- are you dusting the crickets ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Cute little guy, it's good that you came her to get advice on his/her care. What is his name [ sorry if I missed it ] He's about the size of a 2-3 month old, possibly 4 but since the pet store or whoever sold you the lights gave you the incorrect stuff , that is most likely what caused the lethargy + stunted growth. Hopefully with the proper lights he will start doing better but it may take a while. Drip some water on his nose for extra hydration if he'll take it.

It's also possible that he has parasites so if his appetite doesn't improve in a week or so you can get a fecal test done. You mentioned that a vet had given him meds., what were they ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So w/ that info we are going to assume hes still a baby -- please get the probe thermometers and shoot for surface basking temps of 105-110-- place the probe on the spot where he sits for 10 min or so get the temp

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is definitely a tiny one, & definitely not older than 4 or so months, as AHBD mentioned.
He does need a bit higher basking temperature since he is still growing. The UVB lighting &
heating makes all of the difference in the world. It isn't too late to get him growing to the normal
size.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Amilly

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rango
Hello,

He is definitely a tiny one, & definitely not older than 4 or so months, as AHBD mentioned.
He does need a bit higher basking temperature since he is still growing. The UVB lighting &
heating makes all of the difference in the world. It isn't too late to get him growing to the normal
size.
How is he doing today?

Tracie
He is doing a lot better! He has started eating and getting more energy! Shedding as normal, good behaviour. Looks like a happy little guy now

Amilly

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rango
So w/ that info we are going to assume hes still a baby -- please get the probe thermometers and shoot for surface basking temps of 105-110-- place the probe on the spot where he sits for 10 min or so get the temp
Basking temps range from 100-110. Ad there are different levels he can choose from, ambient temp is around 85-90

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom