just got a new baby and it has YF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Matero, that really does look exactly like Y.F. Is your vet a true reptile vet ? Just asking because everything about that looks perfectly like Y.F and not all vets are familiar with it.

Did your vet take a skin scraping ? And what , if any, treatment did they prescribe ?

And Laura, sorry to hear about your dragons. Y.F. is a nasty thing.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
AHBD":37uu3aki said:
Hi Matero, that really does look exactly like Y.F. Is your vet a true reptile vet ? Just asking because everything about that looks perfectly like Y.F and not all vets are familiar with it.

Did your vet take a skin scraping ? And what , if any, treatment did they prescribe ?

And Laura, sorry to hear about your dragons. Y.F. is a nasty thing.

Thank you, but I am having a hard time believing mine have YF. After I finish their round of meds, and wait a month I am taking them to a more experienced reptile vet. Mine did a scraping, but took off broken shed, and I don't see any crusty anything. I can start a new thread so I don't take over this one.

matero3o

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
they did a skin graph and gave us some medication

they saw no fungus but they saw a bacterial infection.. to be safe im keeping the baby quarentined and seperated.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
matero3o":2ybravjs said:
they did a skin graph and gave us some medication

they saw no fungus but they saw a bacterial infection.. to be safe im keeping the baby quarentined and seperated.

If that is not yf than mine definitely can't be. They sent mine off for testing and I had results in 4 days. I kind of want to take a dragon I know for sure doesn't have YF, and see if the lab comes back positive again because then I know they don't know what they are doing.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Laura , be sure to post a thread + pics of your dragon. But I'm pretty sure Matero's dragon has it but it was not identified right. I'd be happy to be wrong, and Y.F. can shed off + come back but I've read that if caught + treated early there's a chance it might not take hold. I'm not sure that's true, but I've read it .

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
AHBD":2gsnfhv5 said:
Laura , be sure to post a thread + pics of your dragon. But I'm pretty sure Matero's dragon has it but it was not identified right. I'd be happy to be wrong, and Y.F. can shed off + come back but I've read that if caught + treated early there's a chance it might not take hold. I'm not sure that's true, but I've read it .

I agree that Mater's looks exactly like yf. I would question the vet.

matero3o

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yellow fungus and bacterial infections look very alike.. i'll have another vet take a sample and let you know.

matero3o

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
been nearly 9 days

no outbreak from my healthy dragons
i can rule out that everyones healthy.

Jelandusn

Not to alarm you, but in my research into yellow fungus, I read that it takes around a month for symptoms after exposure. I'm not sure if that means external symptoms or not because I read that it sometimes starts internally before you see any spots externally.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Jelandusn":14yowxbm said:
Not to alarm you, but in my research into yellow fungus, I read that it takes around a month for symptoms after exposure. I'm not sure if that means external symptoms or not because I read that it sometimes starts externally before you see any spots externally.

This is correct. The incubation period is 2 - 6 weeks. I've done plenty of research on this.

matero3o

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
the babys yellow spots are clearing up due to treatment.

we took a 2nd skin graph and it came back as bacterial.

Commissaar

lauraj1055":gb596ms9 said:
I just had to have my dragon on 1.5 years put down because she contracted yellow fungus. I believe it came on a hammock I ordered off etsy. She was fine before that, and I had had her since she was 6 weeks old. 2 weeks after I put the hammock in, she got yellow patches all over her belly which was confirmed yellow fungus. Since then 2 of my other dragons have now confirmed yellow fungus. I have them both on 2 oral medications which are pretty expensive, but they both are doing great and seem perfectly fine. I also have 7 other dragons, so it has been a challenge ,but washing my hands, using gloves, and changing clothes after handling the 2 with YF has worked and no one else has contracted it. IT's just a lot of work. :banghead:

Hi... Can you please pm or say here which etsy seller? Just bought my baby a hammock off etsy... Am worried now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you're worried about the hammock, just wash it in very hot water with disinfectant + you'll be fine.

Commissaar

AHBD":eio2pucz said:
If you're worried about the hammock, just wash it in very hot water with disinfectant + you'll be fine.

It's one of the few things I didn't wash before I put in as I assumed the fabric was clean. I will feel crushed if she gets it as she's my first beardy and she's amazing. I will wash it just to soothe myself.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sure it's fine.....the other case was probably a fluke or the Y.F might have just happened to develop as it does at times with no seeming cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom