Just found Some rare beardie at pet smart

Beardie name(s)
Bartholomew
Not me just going to pet smart and seeing a heckin silk back baby beardie and my reaction was literally hjhtugfhuf what just like how man how does pet smart have all of these bearded dragons just HOW?!?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I thought you was gonna say healthy lol.
The chain stores don't care were they source their pets from. So if they are selling them for 40 to 80 bucks they are paying probably 10 or less each for them. Someone selling for 10 or less each certainly don't care about them or the breeders, it would not surprise me at all to find them breeding leatherbacks to leatherback. That is how you get silkies, personally i think they should not be produced, and if they are they should go to extremely competent owners, certainly not box stores. They live a hard life under the best of care.

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
I thought you was gonna say healthy lol.
The chain stores don't care were they source their pets from. So if they are selling them for 40 to 80 bucks they are paying probably 10 or less each for them. Someone selling for 10 or less each certainly don't care about them or the breeders, it would not surprise me at all to find them breeding leatherbacks to leatherback. That is how you get silkies, personally i think they should not be produced, and if they are they should go to extremely competent owners, certainly not box stores. They live a hard life under the best of care.
I agree! I think that silkie breeding should be banned. Even just someone who breeds them, is stupid. Cause most likely, due to the fact that they are incredibly sensitive, the majority would pass away during their growth, and during hatching. Their skin is much more sensitive, and therefore would most likely rip their skin during hatching, and let’s not forget about caring for them until they are sold. Feeding live would be a pain, and since people who purposefully breed silkies are already pretty dumb, feeders would bite the babies, and the breeder would probably leave feeders in the cage.

As much as I love the look of silkies, it’s a stupid idea to produce them, and even though I would consider myself a decent keeper, I would never trust myself to keep one, even if it was temporary.

wow that turned into a rant pretty quickly…

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I was thinking my last post was a rant to lol. But yeah i agree, i don't think folks should breed silkies.

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
Oh god… I just remembered… a friend of mine has two leatherbacks, and they escaped and bred together… oh no… this was a total accident looks like I’m in for some trouble

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Silkies are not guaranteed from that pairing, but that is how they are produced. Hopefully none of the hatchlings are silkies.

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
Silkies are not guaranteed from that pairing, but that is how they are produced. Hopefully none of the hatchlings are silkies.
Yeah, I’m really hoping none are silkies, thank god that it isn’t a guaranteed result.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Are you positive it was a silkie and not a very smooth leatherback ? If you go back to the store can you get a good close up pic of it ? It is definitely not a good idea to breed 2 leatherbacks, you will always get a certain % of silkies, a certain % of leatherbacks and even some normal scaled dragons in the same clutch. And I agree it's not good to purposely breed them but they don't actually have a problem hatching but it will be a lot more challenging as they grow but many do reach adulthood and do O.K as adults with a few adjustments to their care.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The care is the problem imo, we see WAY to many beardies not thrive because of poor care, I hate to think how bad silkies suffer at the hands of people not dedicated enought to care for them.
I thought there was a chance two leatherbacks wouldn't always produce silkies, even if the chance was low. I'm glad to know the right of it now , thank you 🙂

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom