Just curious if this is normal..

Pumpkingirl

So 2 things actually— I just got a baby beardie 5 weeks ago.. she’s only 2.5 months old! Super cute. Very curious. Super cuddly. GREAT eater.

My question is this- she’s been eating everything i give her- Dubias, hornworms, greens, apples, a couple mealworms. (I dust them with calcium as well and she gets weekly vitamin powder). Well, I’ve been feeding her dubias twice a day before work and I upped the size for her since she seems to like the bigger ones.. but this girl can eat! I only give about 10 each time because they are bigger. She used to get 15-20 extra small ones at a time before this.. she eats fast too. Like feeding her only takes two minutes because she eats so fast.. but I’m like, should I keep giving more and more? I think if I kept going, she’d probably eat 40 or 50 a day! Lol. She has no limit. Is that safe? She’s already shed twice. She’s a tubby little thing. Very comfortable with me.. should I feed her more? They say as many as they will eat in a 10-15 min period but I’m telling you she has no limit! She inhales 10 decent sized Dubias in 1 minute.

Second question- tonight I came home to her sleeping against the glass on the cool side of her tank. She’s never done this before, as she always sleeps in her hammock under the basking lamp after they turn off at 9 pm. Should I be worried? Was she too hot or something? Or is she just getting comfortable exploring different parts of the tank?

Thanks!

Attachments

• C0E8515A-92CA-474A-A463-0E00F07953A3.jpeg
    C0E8515A-92CA-474A-A463-0E00F07953A3.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 645F4F08-275D-4D80-9302-F8E74524705C.jpeg
    645F4F08-275D-4D80-9302-F8E74524705C.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 60

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
She is a pretty lil thing. Yes both are normal, babies are a bottomless pit. They grow the fastest as babies so they need the protein. As far as sleeping it wouldn't surprise me to see one sleeping standing on it's head lol. They will fall asleep just about anywhere and in any shape lol

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is very pretty! It looks as though she is a leatherback meaning reduced scales?
They do eat a lot when they are growing. It is a good sign she is exploring different parts of
her tank. She probably just wanted to relax a bit by sitting in the cooler area. What are the
temperatures currently?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
She is a pretty lil thing. Yes both are normal, babies are a bottomless pit. They grow the fastest as babies so they need the protein. As far as sleeping it wouldn't surprise me to see one sleeping standing on it's head lol. They will fall asleep just about anywhere and in any shape lol
Oh wow! Lol. Good to know. But I’m worried she’s hungry? Do I keep feeding her regardless? Or cap it off like I have been? Don’t want her to get too fat lol

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
Hello,

She is very pretty! It looks as though she is a leatherback meaning reduced scales?
They do eat a lot when they are growing. It is a good sign she is exploring different parts of
her tank. She probably just wanted to relax a bit by sitting in the cooler area. What are the
temperatures currently?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
She seems to be good!! The temps are 90-95 in her basking area. The hammock can get up to 100 if she’s right under it… the cool side is 70-75.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Oh wow! Lol. Good to know. But I’m worried she’s hungry? Do I keep feeding her regardless? Or cap it off like I have been? Don’t want her to get too fat lol
You can offer another staple feeder to help fill her up- you can get some BSFL / also known as nutri grubs / phoenix worms or calci worms -- they are a great staple feeder for babies - feed as many as you like first feeding on the salads - they make a great compliment to her dubias - do not dust them and I would order mediums for now - they are a small larvae --- keep them in the container they come in - also please no more meal worms they are a impaction risk the exoskeleton on them is too harsh on babies stomachs - make sure your surface basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 105-110 --- and please NO coil UVB's they are no good and inadequate for UVB's -- need help w/ that please ask

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
You can offer another staple feeder to help fill her up- you can get some BSFL / also known as nutri grubs / phoenix worms or calci worms -- they are a great staple feeder for babies - feed as many as you like first feeding on the salads - they make a great compliment to her dubias - do not dust them and I would order mediums for now - they are a small larvae --- keep them in the container they come in - also please no more meal worms they are a impaction risk the exoskeleton on them is too harsh on babies stomachs - make sure your surface basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 105-110 --- and please NO coil UVB's they are no good and inadequate for UVB's -- need help w/ that please ask
I tried the BSFL when I first got her and she only ate them for a few days and would NOT go for them again! I don't know why.. she just had zero interest. but maybe ill try a bigger size and see if that works. thanks!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If you can get silkworms they are great also, but they grow fast like hornworms. You have to be careful with the soft bodied insects though, they REALLY like them and may refuse everthing else.

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Yeah babies can put away a TON lol! I used to record videos of mine eating, he was inhaling 20-30 dubias and the videos never go over 1 min. Didn't want to overfeed him so I simply looked at his tummy and decided if he had enough that day :ROFLMAO:

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
Yeah babies can put away a TON lol! I used to record videos of mine eating, he was inhaling 20-30 dubias and the videos never go over 1 min. Didn't want to overfeed him so I simply looked at his tummy and decided if he had enough that day :ROFLMAO:
Lol for real!! I couldn’t imagine feeding her for 10 minutes. She’d be 100 lbs by age 1

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom