Just bought 2 bearded dragons - could use some best practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
just read the one about seperation. yes I think you should separate them. They grow very fast, full grown most people opt for a 4x2x2

Ski407

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hamburger and French Fry
All that in regards to uv-b sounds great when it comes to the temperatures do not rely on that stick on use the IR gun get some probes and you can cuz if nothing else they helped just know the ambient temperatures the IR gun you can use to do floor temperatures like how hot the floor is the dragon will be laying on for babies they like 105 to 110 directly under basking light once they get older they start liking it more like 95 to 100 I keep my enclosure 95 to 102 I know right the science behind it LOL there is a lot more to it than I realized Karrie above has helped me alot in the beginning of our journey. As far heat pads don't know of many people that use heat pads there's just no need for them and if nightime temperatures below 65 at night you can look into getting a DP projector or ceramic heat emitter
hmmm, I just hit the sand with the IR and its at 75 degrees and 88 where the heat pad is.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
nice on the uvb. Down on the floor where the heating pad is doesn't necessarily have to be 105 degrees where they're basking at does like the hammock under the basking bulb as long as they have access to those temperatures there okay you don't want the whole hot side floor being 105 do you want the Basking spots to be that hot. As far as getting new bulbs I've used everything from outdoor par38 halogen flood lights but this is when I had a stand and hung my fixture so I can raise and lower it as I needed. Now that I use a whole new system and have the fixtures on the inside of my tank I use Arcadia halogens and they kick butt reptile Basics the same site I sent you a link to uv-b fixture has all those at different wattages so does a site called lightyourreptiles.com

seleghari

Beardie name(s)
Morty
Not to sound like a broken record here but the sooner you separate them the better. Baby Bearded dragons very often end up bitting each other's tails and toes off. Which do not grow back. I know this has the potential to really upset your kids. So wanted to make sure you knew why that advice was given.

Ski407

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hamburger and French Fry
Not to sound like a broken record here but the sooner you separate them the better. Baby Bearded dragons very often end up bitting each other's tails and toes off. Which do not grow back. I know this has the potential to really upset your kids. So wanted to make sure you knew why that advice was given.
Thanks! planning on doing that this weekend!

Ski407

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hamburger and French Fry
I purchased 2 bearded dragons a few weeks ago. Well I bought 1 initially for my youngest son along with the 20g Zoo Med habitat kit. My older son also wanted one so went back the next day and purchased the second. I setup the tank and then found a used 65g tank (18x24x35) that they both are in now. The size is a big difference. The light it came with had a 75W and I changed it to a 100w. This is my current setup but am reading up on more setups and not sure if this is the best for them now. Any suggestions thoughts would help. Thanks!
Alright took all of your advice and separated the 2. Put the smaller one in the smaller tank for now. He is like HUH?? lol

Attachments

• 656FA09C-763B-4EB5-B1AF-5CBC017F6515.jpeg
    656FA09C-763B-4EB5-B1AF-5CBC017F6515.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 7D972F04-CB7E-4DF6-874F-0377B3A30E7A.jpeg
    7D972F04-CB7E-4DF6-874F-0377B3A30E7A.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom