Just a new enclosure post & pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I haven't posted anything here in a while so I figured I'd show off a little progress I've made since last posts. I got two new thermometers I got the little zoo med point and click one that gives the temp of whatever you point it at and also an analog thermometer/ barometer for the basking spot. Added a decorative air plant and rock holder and did some re arranging. Me and my boyfriend also went and got a bunch of new squishy Horn Worms and Dubia roaches... He is STUFFED :love5: He seems pretty happy with the changes. I now am assured that his basking area has the proper temp and have been able to add some more areas for climbing and exploring. We think hes about done growing but you never know, he acts very young. If you have any suggestions or comments on how it can be even better or even some pics too, please share!

specs: 75 gal, zoomed t5ho UVB, 2X zoomed basking lamp dome, 100-102 basking area (80 cool down) Male approx 1 year old.
90030-3265142534.jpg
90030-4632986267.jpg
90030-9899399001.jpg
90030-8726145778.jpg
90030-3509489712.jpg
90030-5656379494.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looks great! He looks happy and healthy. At a year old his growth will slow down quite a bit but he may have another spurt or two left in him. They usually finish growing between about 18-24 months. As his growth slows I would slowly start migrating his diet to primarily veges. Move to one bug meal per day then one bug meal every second and third day with salads daily until he's eating about 80% (roughly) veges by about 18 months or so.

prklyprogi

Original Poster
CooperDragon":16w2iz8q said:
Looks great! He looks happy and healthy. At a year old his growth will slow down quite a bit but he may have another spurt or two left in him. They usually finish growing between about 18-24 months. As his growth slows I would slowly start migrating his diet to primarily veges. Move to one bug meal per day then one bug meal every second and third day with salads daily until he's eating about 80% (roughly) veges by about 18 months or so.

Thanks he is very sweet and handsome indeed! He's surly getting to be done growing soon I think too but he's such a brat with his greens I wonder if i over spoiled him because he turns his nose up at greens and detests being coaxed into eating his mustard or escarole with his bugs now. He wasn't like that before and sometimes he's excited for them and will eat a FEW pieces but he's been a little bratty lately about them. I know I have to make that adjustment soon any suggestions on getting his attitude back in track -about his greens and veggies?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a common issue. Really just need patience. Since he's healthy and a good weight then you could withhold bugs for a while if need be to help break his stubbornness. I'd first just try offering some new/interesting items into his salads and see if that catches his interest.

prklyprogi

Original Poster
Do you have anything specific that works for you? He's very choosy sometimes he likes berries escarole endive or basil and stuff I tried to get him to eat prickly pear but he didn't even try it :(

Skipper7

Juvie Member
I like the setup!! He is a very handsome dragon. As for the above, you can try offering salads before bugs, and only offer one bug meal 3-4 days a week.

Skipper likes blueberries, raspberries, blackberrries, persimmons, and all types of squash. Squash tends to be appetizing to dragons becuase of the bright orange color. The transition may take some time, it certainly did with Skipper!

Good luck!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Cooper liked turnip greens. Darwin likes squash cut up into worm shapes, mustard greens, collard greens, and green beans the best. Sometimes he likes chopped up green bell pepper and small bits of banana or a sliced blueberry as a treat. They all have different favorites so it comes down to trial and error (and their mood on top of that).

prklyprogi

Original Poster
At one point or another he's eaten all of those I will get him to do it again I know it! Lol. With squash does your dragon prefer raw or cooked?

*sode note* how frustrating is it to buy so much fresh produce for your dragon just to have them eat a sliver of it!! lol I end up eating his leftovers daily what gives!!!

Skipper7

Juvie Member
I've never given skipper cooked squash- she always eats it raw.

Haha! I have a bunch of frozen collard and turnip greens. They are great for smoothies!

prklyprogi

Original Poster
I didn't know what I was doing when I first got him and i was prepping squash for thanksgiving and I gave him some plain roasted mashed squash. I think he liked it but it's probably better to give him the raw. That's next..

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I usually offer raw yellow or green squash but occasionally have some other kinds on hand. You can offer it cooked or raw. The extra veges either get eaten by me or go to the roach colony. They do a pretty good job at handling any extras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom