Jace, Zy, Vess, Ava, Nissa, Koth, & Phoenix -->R.I.P. Sorin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me:
My name is Liz. Some of you may have seen my past thread and recent posts on here lately. I'm 23 years old and I'm currently living with my grandparents. My boyfriend, who still lives at home as well, Paul, helps me care for and love these adorable terrors. I'm finishing up my last semester of school, my graduation date being somewhere in March. I work at the USPS as a letter carrier full time, I continue to do so after I graduate as well. Now, onto the more interesting features in my life and that ones everyone really wants to hear about, my reptiles.

Jace:
Technically, Jace was not my first bearded dragon. Originally I had Kamajii, named after the boiler man from Spirited Away. Unfortunately, he suffered from epileptic seizures and I had to return him. I was very new to the reptile world and I wasn't ready to make that kind of commitment just yet for my first time. He and the other beardie that suffered from epileptic seizures were eventually adopted out to a really nice family who knew what they were doing. That, however, left me with Jace. He was a feisty bugger right from the start, pretty sure I bought him right before he hit puberty. After a lot of working with him, however, he is now my love bug and adores me, or at least he makes me think he does. He's two years old and has just gotten over his URI. Currently he is 19" and 490g.

2lhlmJ7.jpg

0VMCsDo.jpg

HlqmWPS.jpg

o5lTI32.jpg

KoGXALc.jpg

rIxENPQ.jpg

lwhsPZU.jpg

DxCpENU.jpg

EGHXRN4.jpg

Zy:
Zy was my second beardie, but not my second reptile, actually she was my third if I remember correctly. She's a leatherback and was a Valentine's Day gift from Paul. Currently she is18.5"", 492g, and just turned two. The biggest problem I have with her is that she refuses to poop anywhere except on my carpet. And she will only poop on my carpet if I'm present. If it's just Paul, nope, nothing. If it's just me or both of us, she goes to town laying the biggest poops. She's always been very sweet. She hasn't black bearded ever, only puffs out to stretch her beard. And the only time she's ever bitten was from my hand feeding her greens. She's all mouth when it comes to eating.

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/u499O5D.jpg)
[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/yDfuYnJ.jpg)
[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/bYWoOnz.jpg)
YTrzM96.jpg

0xynAWL.jpg

CocPE2m.jpg

vocpzEE.jpg

0ceBOWX.jpg

R.I.P. Sorin
Sorin was my third bearded dragon who unfortunately had to be put to sleep. Here's the link to his memorial page that tells his story: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=212505. We miss him so much and today I picked up his ashes. I forgot to ask about the plaster paw print, if they were able to get one from him. I'll have to call and ask about it tomorrow. I spent the ride back, talking to him, telling him of all the things I've missed about him, of the good times, of the new baby and asking for his blessing. I love you, Sor-Bor. He was a whopping 20" and 569g.

E31OQ8Z.jpg

PzkIusK.jpg

sfirfYM.jpg

8FunWd3.jpg

3lfdlme.jpg

G2ofJSb.jpg

FZuDfsU.jpg

mRhvAPM.jpg

HFu9OZu.jpg

axvUBIb.jpg

8KVtnJD.jpg

Vess:
She's our newest member, we just picked her up tonight, actually. She's from Paul's coworker who has four bearded dragons but do to financial reasons, had to rehome two of them. Less was bought from an online breeder: Rainbow Bearded Dragons. He's a year and two months old and still a baby. He had her in a 10g viv and fed her only enough to not starve, but not enough to grow so she has a lot of catching up to do and looks so small in the 40g viv. We're hoping with a lot of food and proper care, she'll get right back onto growing and be as big as she was supposed to be. Will have to weigh and measure her tomorrow.

kZn5CNO.jpg

rTQrg2I.jpg

Er9xR8e.jpg

5WBsCu5.jpg

anEdook.jpg

Ava:
Ava was our first leopard gecko and her birthday will actually be in a couple of days. She'll be two years old. She's special needs, there's a chance she might have the enigma syndrome. Here's a link to a report on it if anyone is curious as to what the enigma syndrome is: http://www.freewebs.com/grinninggecko/enigmasyndromestudy.htm. Unfortunately it's rather sad. Other than, she seems to be doing well enough. She doesn't grow or gain much weight, but she is always, ALWAYS shedding.

uhE7jim.jpg

6CbJXWf.jpg

IUdNw8r.jpg

MY7y2T1.jpg

wVaEHEP.jpg

bzUqPIW.jpg

g169RXW.jpg

Nissa:
Nissa was our first baby to choose us. I was walking in Petco, very dangerous, I know, and for the first time ever, a leopard gecko was glass dancing at me. I've never seen one ever pay me any attention before as Ava became Paul's. I knew then I had to get her so the next day I came home with Nissa. She's such a doll and gets into so much mischief. She'll be two years old in March.

tZK28mv.jpg

8hrU3to.jpg

8asSCgF.jpg

w5sa9So.jpg

M3gHTtW.jpg

Kqq7K2g.jpg

386RMyL.jpg

0sllkEe.jpg

qn9hbCt.jpg

Koth:
Koth was our second and last baby to choose us. He was in a small, overcrowded cage at Petco (the same one that Sorin came from). Originally we were looking at rescuing a different one, but he woke up, crawled on top of all of the sleep leos and walked right up to us as if to say: "I'm your only choice." Of course, when he got home, he looked everywhere for the first week for the other leos. He couldn't believe that he had a place of his own and he is such a champ.

qWNAlTK.jpg

kBB7iM2.jpg

AQBbMAq.jpg

n0gEAOs.jpg

Cc5FIFh.jpg

w8q2r2J.jpg

iOA9sbB.jpg

Ub445hl.jpg

1SZOsRy.jpg

Phoenix:
He was probably the worst off from any of our rescues. He came from a different pet store chain entirely, the one that is the bane of my existence, Dave's Soda and Pet Food City. How I loathe that man, let me count the ways. I would rather work at Petco and follow their rules than even be in a mile radius of this store. It. Is. Disgusting. And when I tried to report it, nothing happened. Phoenix is a true fire skink and was horribly miscalled for to put it mildly. When I saw him, I honestly thought he was told and told one of the employees. They woke him up to prove to me he wasn't. My response? That's good, I'll take him. Honestly, that first week we brought him home, we weren't sure if he was going to make it. The night we bought him we went to Petco to buy supplies and one of the employees there was APPALLED by his appearance. Anyways, we've now nursed him back to health. He's guess to be a year and three months old. And he is such a sweet and gentle soul, so fun to be around.

mMvJay3.jpg

Fxi4Ibb.jpg

ezdry3L.jpg

jOjWU8O.jpg

a6S1UjG.jpg

eFM2shp.jpg

jsVkKr1.jpg

AZrO9B6.jpg

0gK643R.jpg

That's it for now.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Deb:
I'm hoping that they'll both knock it out this time around. Both Jace and Zy have miraculously stopped making sounds now that I have both their meds. They are the biggest pains ever.

I'll be happy if she reaches at least 16" so I can feed her supers like all the other babies. I'm not a big fan of the dubia, I just can't stand crickets more.

I saw, he is so adorable and he looks like a Nathaniel.

Gina:
I had to use one hand to hold her and her front leg to keep it stretched out and then use my other hand to hold the rest of her. She managed to rip the needle out after he injected the meds into her, but luckily no blood.

I wonder if I could transfer some of Zy's fat pads to Vess since her's are so big lol.

Update:
Me:
I worked at 12.5 hour shift yesterday with not breaks. My choice on the no breaks part as I don't get hungry when I'm working for whatever reason. I was ravenous as soon as I got done and went to Little Caesar's for their $5 pizzas which are so good. Had two slices on the way home. So good. Didn't realize I was that hungry.
Sorin's memorial book came today and it came out so beautifully. It's also a lot bigger than I thought it would be, though that is not a bad thing.
It's pouring here so I'm so thankful I don't have work today. I'm going in for 6am tomorrow so it could be another 12 hour day. I just have to keep reminding myself to think of the paycheck which will easily be over $1,000 after taxes. Can finally buy my new bed and mattress, will worry about the rest of it after. My old bed and mattress will be going to my friend Cierra who moved in with me back in October as her mom kicked her out because they're just too different. Her mattress and bed are pretty non-existent and she really liked my mattress so she agreed to take it off my hands.
And the hornworms should be here tomorrow.
Is it wrong that I'm bothered by the fact Vess's sister is still at the house and hasn't been rehired yet?

Jace:
He seems to think it is a never ending spring. He's black bearding and running around like crazy, though he does crash around 5pm even though lights are out at 7pm. He really wants Zy in the worst way. It's adorable. Zy's viv is on the bottom of the stand and during his out time he spends the majority of it trying to woo her. It's adorable to watch them exchange head bobs and waves.

Zy:
If she's in her viv, she's more sleepy than anything. If she's out then she's usually running around. She's still more than willing to sleep and for the most part stays on the warm side, usually under her basking spot. We're syncing up her and Jace's shot days so then that way it's easier to remember - same leg, same day.

Vess:
If I come home after lights out (which I do after most work days, sadly), I still take her out for a quick cuddle. She'll suddenly wake up and run around and be full of energy. She never really tires. I think she goes to sleep because she has to and not because she wants to.

Phoenix:
He's doing well. Keeping under ground most days and staying warm - wish I could do that, what a life. To hide in bed all day in nice warm dirt... I mean blankets.

Ava:
I'm hoping she'll eat the hornworms - need to break her off from waxies and now with the better paycheck I'll be able to splurge a little more and buy hornworms instead of waxies. I just wish hornworms were more locally available.

Nissa:
She rarely eats supers. She likes the soft bugs and I know from the past she likes hornworms so I'm good on that front. Neither she nor Ava liked the phoenix worms I had bought them in the fall.

Koth:
He likes to tease me by looking really interested in the super worms and getting ready to strike then deciding he's not hungry and is going back to sleep. He doesn't like the soft worms as they don't move enough to catch his attention. And crickets and dubia he considers to be too much of a hassle.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You shouldn't go 12+ hours without eating anything. That's so bad for you, in so many ways.

What little stinkers and drama queens Jace and Zy are! Guess that's their way of saying, "See, I'm not sick anymore. I don't need any icky medicine shots."

zandi202":k8h462jy said:
I wonder if I could transfer some of Zy's fat pads to Vess since her's are so big lol.
Wouldn't that be a dream? If only.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Gina:
I know it is, but I just forget. I'm just never hungry so I forget. Plus I forgot to bring my peanut butter crackers thinking that it would be a shot shift. I never each much in general, plus when working the day goes by so fast that I just didn't realize I never ate.

They're bums. The whole lot of them.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Gina's right, though, I know your day goes by fast, but you're using up alot of energy, so eating at least 1/2 way through your day is essential. Just bring lots of snacks :D

So what did you mean by this: "Is it wrong that I'm bothered by the fact Vess's sister is still at the house and hasn't been rehired yet?" Wasn't sure.

So yours are brats, too? Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'm sure they're pretending to see if you'll fall for it and not give them their shots. Glad you're not fooled :lol: And isn't it so cute to watch the flirting? Puff is a real flirt, when I put Nathaniel down beside her, she was low bobbing and putting her butt in the air. I mean really? The poor little guy hasn't even reached puberty yet :mrgreen:

I know that job is hard, but I also know it's been a long time since you had such high paychqs. And these hours will probably reduce once Xmas is over with. So enjoy while you can, (if you can) coming from an old lady that's been working for 40 years and doesn't have alot to show for it, well except tons of dragons :roll:

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Deb:
No promises. :lol:

I meant to say that Vess's sister still hasn't been rehomed yet. Stupid auto correct, it tried correcting it again.

Oh heck no, I paid money for those shots so they're going to be used. They don't make the sounds nearly as often now... Either that or it is because I'm not home much.

In the words of Regina from "Mean Girls" to Puff: "Boo, you whore." Love that movie.

Update:
Me:
I am exhausted. I can't even begin to tell you all how tired I am. I did 91.5 hours this pay period (2 weeks). The job should slow down in January so I'm looking forward to having time to relax. I'm working 6am Monday and Tuesday. I have Wednesday off which I'm guaranteed only because I requested it off because of Vess's vet appointment - made it when I picked up Jace's meds. It's Wednesday at 3pm. Paul and I are going to try and catch up on missed time and maybe go to the movies...hopefully. There are three movies out in theater we currently want to see, just haven't had the time. Hopefully will see at least one on Wednesday when it is $5.50.

Jace:
He started making the sound again a night or two after I bought his meds. These guys are so cagy and think they are so clever.

Zy:
She decided to hit on Jace tonight.

Vess:
She grew half an inch making her 11" long and she gained 21.3g brining her up to 74.8g. I'm so proud of her. And she is really starting to chow down on her greens which is nice to see. She also loves hornworms, once she figured out they were food and could be eaten.

That's it for my update now. I had other stuff I wanted to post, but I'm just too tired. I'm going to take a name now and try to be awake for when Paul gets home. Wish me luck.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Good luck, I know it'll be alot less hectic once Xmas is over, just over a week & you'll have some time off. The good thing about working at the post office is you do have all holidays off, period.

Yeah for Vess, she's doing so well. Was expecting this as being in a great home & being loved makes all the difference. As for her sister, hopefully she finds a good home, soon.

And yes, Jace and Zy are going to drive you nuts, no question about it. Glad they're still getting their shots, no matter how they sound, at least this will help get rid of that nasty RI.

Time with Paul will be so great. Hope you do get to a movie! I haven't even looked lately, Nathaniel keeps me hopping. He's discovered that bobbing & black bearding is a fun game. He greets me with a black beard all the time now :lol: He's so funny :mrgreen:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I sure don't miss having to work that many hours in a mere 2 weeks. Those were awful years for me.

What a difficult child that Jace is ;)

Zy did what?! That flirt :laughing6:

Hooray for Vess growing a half inch and gaining 21.3 grams! :blob5:

'm going to take a name now and try to be awake for when Paul gets home.
Oh? And what "name" did you take?

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Deb:
We work all holidays but Christmas and Thanksgivig due to our new contract with Amazon.

Gina:
Meant nap.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
zandi202":1rpwh9ra said:
Gina:
Meant nap.
I knew that. Was just making sure that your phone knew that
smiley1102.gif

zandi202":1rpwh9ra said:
It just changed. Used to be like that. We signed a contract with Amazon.
Yup, and now you guys deliver their packages on Sundays, too.
I feel sorry for the postal workers.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Update:

Me:
Sorry that I haven't updated in a while. As you can guess, work has been crazy busy. I have been reading the updates you have posted on your threads, just a pain to respond on my phone since I only get the chance on my break, at home I'm usually exhausted. I should have Monday off and possibly Tuesday. I definitely have Thursday off for Christmas.
My cat had an injury on his paw and the vet wasn't sure if it was a scratch or a bite and since he never had a rabies shot, he has to keep kept indoors for five months. And outdoor feral cat has to be kept inside for five months. The health inspector has already stopped by once (at random) to make sure he is in the house. They can show up randomly whenever they want, even twice in one day if they really wanted to. This will be a long five months.
I made a bunch of cookies. They're chocolate chip, butterscotch chip, peanut butter, and oatmeal cookies. So good. I'm bringing some to work tomorrow, leaving some for my family, and the rest are going to Paul's for the Christmas party. They're doing a cooking contest and this is mine and Paul's entry.
I bought the vets chocolates for Christmas when we went to Vess's vet appointment - they were all so happy as it would seem not many people do anything for them, which is a total bummer because they're such nice people. They other vets had started digging into it before my vet did and my vet says: They're my reptiles, I should get first dibs! :lol:

Jace and Zy:
Paul has been doing the shots by himself as our schedules conflict too much and they would never get done otherwise. By the time I get home, they're both asleep so I have no idea what's going on with them, if they're getting better or worse, etc.

Vess:
She's up to 80-something grams and I think she just finished shedding, forgot to see if she had any other parts to shed. I know her tail and her feet shed, not sure if she had shed anywhere else. She's eating greens and roaches like a champ - had to order more roaches as Monday is the last day they ship for the week and I don't have many left. I did go one size up, I think. Can't remember the size I ordered last time, but the size I ordered seems to be a good one for her.

Phoenix:
It's been a long while since I've gotten to see him. I think the last time was when I switched in some new dirt about a month or so ago. I miss him.

Ava, Nissan and Koth:
Paul has been feeding them since I usually go to bed around 9/9:30 and they like to eat later. Koth and Nissa have really enjoyed the hornworms, as has everyone for that matter. Ava is a bum and refuses the horns. I'm going to try silkworms, ordered those as well and they should be shipped out on Monday. She never really liked horns before so I wasn't surprised. Silkies are my last chance to get her onto a bug other than waxies which are they only thing she will eat because they are the perfect size for her and move a little, but not too much. She doesn't like butters, supers, horns, phoenix, or mealies.

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS!
From: Jace, Zy, Sorin, Vess, Phoenix, Ava, Nissa, and Koth

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Why would they force an outdoor cat to be kept indoors?? What are you suppose to do with him inside? That would stress him out so much. And how could the vet not be able to differentiate a bite from a cut? I would think that the two wounds are very different.

Kudos to Paul for administering the shots by himself.

Congrats to Vess for gaining more weight!

Hooray for everyone else eating and doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom